Superbowl fairness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhskittykatt View Post
    If the Superbowl was that important, he should have requested it off well in advance. This isn't something that was just sprung on him. He could have asked for that day off months in advance.
    I agree -- although as I said earlier, I doubt they were giving anyone at the deli that day off. It was likely to be one of their busiest days of the year.

If you never want to spend a holiday or major event with your friends and family, get a job in the food and restaurant industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      If you never want to spend a holiday or major event with your friends and family, get a job in the food and restaurant industry.
      I wanted to find a 9-5 job after getting out of college for that specific reason. Being in school during the day, I could only make my money on evenings, weekends, and holidays. I'm 23 and that seems young, but I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I've been able to go to gatherings with friends and family for ANY sort of holiday.

So I can see where the deli counter guy is coming from, but he needs to set an immediate goal to get out of that industry if he's going to take out his resentment on customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        The Super Bowl for all intents and purposes is a holiday. And the day after it should be a mandatory day off everywhere. Over 1/3 of America watched this year's Super Bowl. So when someone that wants to watch it is forced to work and someone who doesn't give a crap about it gets the day off...somethings just not right.
        I really hope your kidding cause i don't see how that is a holiday. You sit on your couch or where ever drink bear and chear on guys in skin tight outfits. How in all the hells is that a holiday? if you get to drunk that day that is your choice. Now i personaly don't like sports i find them boreing to watch but i am a scify fan. Thats like saying some huge scify movie or event hit would i consider that a holiday no i'd have to plan for it just like everyone else who wants to go. As far as your time being your own it is its your time so to you its more important than anyone eleses. I'm not saying everyone is this way but a lot of people have this mentality either way though you spend your time how you like just make sure you can in advance if you have to.
        fetch me my axe

Comment

You know, I think I side with Greenday on this one. For all intents and purposes, football is a religion in the US. It probably has more devoted followers than Christianity.

Certainly, more people get excited about the Superbowl than, say, President's Day.

Why not make the Superbowl a national holiday? From a cultural standpoint, it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by chaoticjthm View Post
            I really hope your kidding cause i don't see how that is a holiday. You sit on your couch or where ever drink bear and chear on guys in skin tight outfits. How in all the hells is that a holiday? if you get to drunk that day that is your choice. Now i personaly don't like sports i find them boreing to watch but i am a scify fan. Thats like saying some huge scify movie or event hit would i consider that a holiday no i'd have to plan for it just like everyone else who wants to go. As far as your time being your own it is its your time so to you its more important than anyone eleses. I'm not saying everyone is this way but a lot of people have this mentality either way though you spend your time how you like just make sure you can in advance if you have to.

The Superbowl is a day when friends and families, who might not see each other all that much, gather around, have good food, enjoy each other's company, and take part in a 40 + year old tradition that is experienced by millions of other people throughout the world. If some Sci Fi event is that important then I'm sure it would be considered on the same level of the Super Bowl.

Comment

We could get rid of Columbus Day to even it out. Columbus was a douchebag who raped and pillaged anyway and helped start the trans-Atlantic slave trade.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
              X