"Furbaby"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Furbaby"

This is just a pet peeve, but I really hate the term "furbaby".

I also hate when people refer to themselves as their pets' 'mommy' or 'daddy'.

I love animals. But they are animals. I know some people think of their pets as children. And that's fine, whatever.

But I just really, really hate the word 'furbaby'.

By the way, I can pretty much guarantee your dog doesn't think of you as his mommy or daddy. He thinks of you as the pack leader (if you've trained him well). And your cat doesn't even think of you as that; if they think of you at all it's as 'that food machine'.

The term furbaby actually means a furrie who like to wear a diaper. I'm not sure if you are aware of that but it could change your opinion on the subject if thats what the people are actually talking about.

Comment

*walks away whistling*

I do refer myself as Mommy when it comes to my cat. Guilty!
      "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

The term furbaby actually means a furrie who like to wear a diaper
        Huh, I didn't know that. But I have never heard it used in that context; the only time I have heard it used is in reference to a pet. I wouldn't mind if someone were to use it in reference to furries, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
          it could change your opinion on the subject if thats what the people are actually talking about.
          While we appreciate that bit of trivia, it's quite obvious that the people to whom the OP is referring use it in reference to their pets.

I know that I have only ever heard it used in that reference, especially on CS.
          I'm sure if they were talking about diaper wearing furries, that would be stated up front and there wouldn't be any confusion on the part of the OP.
          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

The OP will probably hate this even more.

I call my dog * My pretty little girl* and consider myself her mommy.

Same with my kitten except I call him *my little baby kitty*
            If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

Maybe for some people, the two definitions merge?

Comment

I'm a proud pawrent, so I should stay out of this thread
                "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post
                  Maybe for some people, the two definitions merge?
                  The furbaby just wuvs their wittle furbaby?
                  Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Wikifur doth state that furries who are also infantalists sayeth Babyfur in reference to themselves :P

Both of my dogs are part of the family, but, not in that way... *shrug*

As long as the person isn't also being a huge SC it doesn't really matter. It kinda comes with the territory of loving your pets, so when that goes too far, the term usage is probably there.
                    All units: IRENE
                    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
                      The term furbaby actually means a furrie who like to wear a diaper. I'm not sure if you are aware of that but it could change your opinion on the subject if thats what the people are actually talking about.
                      Really? Could I trouble you for a link on that?

I goggled furbaby and this is what came up

furbaby
                      I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        I'm a proud pawrent, so I should stay out of this thread
                        Funnily enough, a few years back we had someone try and stalk a CS.com member claiming that they had invented the honorific pawrent and that the CS.com member had used it without their permission on their blog, so they signed up to harass them.

One of the things we noted at the time was that the site had very little content. It still has pretty much none.

Just a bit of background trivia.

Rapscallion
                        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I must admit I hate the term "furbaby" as well. Its just a tad too ridiculous. Pawrant is just begging for scathing ridicule. Which I am very good at and must resist.

I refer to my cat as "minion". >.>

Comment

I call my dogs "my babies" and sometimes refer to myself as their "mommy". It's hardly a sign of psychological problems.

I fully understand that they're dogs, I'm human, and they aren't my children. Just because someone frequently uses those terms in a playful manner doesn't mean that they're losing their grip on reality.

Let me put it another way: My husband was ribbing me about something the other day, and I called him an "asshole". Then we laughed. But he's not really an asshole. He knows it. I know it. It was just for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                              I call my dogs "my babies" and sometimes refer to myself as their "mommy". It's hardly a sign of psychological problems.
                              See that really doesn't bother me. Its when you create some ridiculous cutesy non-word that it irks me. Leave English alone!

Comment

Working...
                              X