Phone non-manners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone non-manners

This post is inspired yet again by an acquaintance who I'm sure I've ranted about here before.

He hates answering machines, I'm not sure why. Not everyone can be right there to answer the phone all the time. I turn my cell off in stores unless I'm expecting a call (then it's set to vibrate and I go outside if possible).

I'm using him as an example of people who leave one-word messages, or no message at all and then get mad when you don't return the call (now how the F can I return a call I don't know about?). The explanation (or lack thereof) has always been "well I hate talking to machines" (I don't really like leaving messages either, but do it because that's what you do).

At least I've made some effort to personalize my various voicemails so anyone calling knows they've reached me and I'll get back to them when I'm able...that is, if a useful message (name and/or number, why you called, etc) is left.

I tend to not return calls if the message has nothing of substance and/or no identifying info (friend, employer, parents, etc). Generally, the more pointless messages a given person leaves in a certain timeframe, the less likely I am to be the one to initiate next contact (and the more annoyed I get at them).
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Pretty much. If someone is calling from a number I don't recognize and doesn't leave me a message, I don't call them back. I get a lot of wrong numbers on my phone, some from out of state, and I don't care to waste my minutes on idiots.

Comment

Yup. I don't use my cell a hell of a lot, but still...this guy has no landline and probably can't pay for serious overages...why the hell are you wasting minutes then?

Eh, I do not understand why some people just refuse to leave messages...even my grandmother knows to leave a voicemail if I'm not around.
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

One the flip side are people who leave long rambling messages on my voice mail, only to ask me to call them back anyway, at which point they just tell me everything they said in the message again.

My mother-in-law will call our home and, regardless of whether a human being or a machine picks up, will have the exact same conversation.

Its actually kind of funny. We poke fun at her about it all the time.

Comment

I hate leaving a message on VM. But I will do it, if it is set up. I do not use my cell phone alot. Basically only using it as an alarm clock. If someone calls me and I do not know the number & they leave no message. Why should I call them? Oh, if you leave a message on my VM, then get to the point.

Comment

Yup. His VM isn't really "set up"...it's still the robot voice that only lists the number. Not good for say, potential employers who want to make sure they're getting the right person (maybe that's why he still hasn't gotten a job). The way I see that is, if people want others to leave messages, they'll put some minor effort into personalizing the greeting (unless there's a valid reason not to).

Boozy, my grandmother used to do the same thing (and then get mad that we "weren't saying anything").

Comment

I hate that, too.

I also hate people who "flood" or "blow up" your phone, to use the lingo most people use. What that means is people who just keep calling and calling until you answer. I've combated that by just shutting my phone off, but that doesn't really help the situation.

Comment

Gah. My trainer did that once while I was test-driving a bloody car. Look, there's a reason I'm not answering! I'll call you back when I'm good and ready!

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                  I hate that, too.

I also hate people who "flood" or "blow up" your phone, to use the lingo most people use. What that means is people who just keep calling and calling until you answer. I've combated that by just shutting my phone off, but that doesn't really help the situation.
                  That really gets me mad

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                  Look, there's a reason I'm not answering! I'll call you back when I'm good and ready!

Exactly.

Comment

My friend H has her VM set up but the annoyance she set up is that she doesn't mention her name on her VM message. All it is "Sorry I can't answer, leave a message." Maybe it's just me but when I call someone and get their VM a first time I'd like to know if I got the right person and not dial a wrong number.
                    "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

Comment

Another one (same guy). I generally don't stay up past midnight unless there's something really good on TV (I do have stuff to do during the days, unlike him). So after one night when the dork kept me on the phone until 2 AM, I put my foot down and stated no phone conversations after 11 PM.

Normal person would take that to mean, no talking on the phone at all past 11 PM in the callee's time zone, ne? He comes back with "but I call you before 11" in a ha-I'm-so-clever-what-do-you-think-of-that tone that he knows pisses me off

Yes, 11 PM my time is only 10 PM your time, but the concept of time zones is not hard to grasp...

Comment

Originally posted by ArenaBoy View Post
                        My friend H has her VM set up but the annoyance she set up is that she doesn't mention her name on her VM message. All it is "Sorry I can't answer, leave a message." Maybe it's just me but when I call someone and get their VM a first time I'd like to know if I got the right person and not dial a wrong number.
                        The telephone tends to distort a person's voice; you can't always recognize who you're hearing. Even if they just say, "You have reached the Lastname residence," at least you can be reasonably sure you've called the right number.
                        People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                        If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
                          The telephone tends to distort a person's voice; you can't always recognize who you're hearing. Even if they just say, "You have reached the Lastname residence," at least you can be reasonably sure you've called the right number.
                          I've been told I sound a lot like my mom on the phone, so my VM has my first name. On recordings, I sound like a variant on the early computerized speech programs

People who don't at least try to personalize their voicemail (without a good reason not to) bugs me. I'd like to at least know who I'm leaving a message for.

Comment

On the other hand, my poor husband had his personal phone number given out to some clients of his by his home store, so he was getting calls at all times day and nights from tards wanting their computer fixed.
                            To help ward them off, I recorded the message for him, consisting of me just saying "Hi! Leave a message!". People that he actually wants calling him already know what to expect when they hear his vm message. The others? Well, they just get to think that they got a wrong phone #, and now they get to go through the proper channels to set up an appointment to have him out.

Comment

That to me is a legit reason. I don't give out my phone # unless I feel like it (my mom is allowed to give my number to friends who need computer repairs, as I know her friends already and she knows my schedule).

Comment

Working...
                              X