Visible miniority BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visible miniority BS

I am applying for jobs right now and I am constantly being asked if I am a "visible" minority....wtf is this?

Are you just concerned with the APPEARANCE of diversity rather than true diversity? Hiring me would bring diversity to your company but I don't look right so therefore I don't count.

Why am I discounted from a job because I have white skin? That is racism as far as I am concerned. How does my skin colour reflect on the job I could do?

I am an immigrant which makes me a minority, but because I am a white immigrant with European heritage I keep coming up against people who tell me I'm not a "real" immigrant or that I don't need the help that is available to REAL immigrants (you know the ones who look different) and that I am using up resources set aside form them.

Apparently all "white culture" is the same so I should have no trouble assimilating or understanding the social nuances of a new country HALF THE WORLD away from mine.

You either care about minorities and helping them or you don't. Don't give me this bullshit about wanting diversity then only allowing those who fit your narrow mould to be considered diverse.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Are you just concerned with the APPEARANCE of diversity rather than true diversity? Hiring me would bring diversity to your company but I don't look right so therefore I don't count.
    I think it's more the assumption that people aren't going to discriminate against you based on what minorities you may belong to so long as they can't tell; whether your accent counts as being "visible" I don't know. Probably it also has to do with people claiming whatever minority is most convenient because they had one great-great-great-great-etc who was.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's like a friend of mine. He's Egyptian. Egypt is in Africa. So the first time he applied for something, he marked down African-American because, well, Egypt is in Africa. He got in trouble for it. Makes me wonder why they don't just put "White, Black, Yellow, Brown".
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Ugh. Greenday, I know someone who got into similar trouble. His family was originally from Johannesburg, South Africa. They came to the US to escape the violence that started up after Apartheid. Needless to say, he soon got into trouble because he dared to select "African American" on some employment form...and he was "white." He simply couldn't understand what the big deal was.

Comment

Part of that trouble is black people getting prissy about being black and picking a new label that doesn't make sense

Comment

Got any evidence to back that up, Elsporko, or are you just trolling as usual?

Either come up with some names, dates, figures etc, or get back under your bridge.

Sure, you're allowed to have an opinion, but that's all you have in this forum. Back your stuff up.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Evidence of what? That the phrase African American is used? How about this link

http://www.fratching.com/showthread....7513#post47513

The phrase comes up a couple of times.

Evidence of how it doesn't make sense?

http://www.fratching.com/showthread....7513#post47513

Several stories of how it doesn't make sense.

Comment

No - you said "black people getting prissy about being black".

Back it up.

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
                  Part of that trouble is black people getting prissy about being black and picking a new label that doesn't make sense
                  Well firstly I live in Canada, this has nothing whatsoever to do with black people

Secondly this is not a race issue, this is an authenticity issue. The companies spout that they are here to help immigrants but only immigrants that will make them look good because they look different and therefore "diverse". They are making an issue of diversity, and issue of image.

They spout off about diversity and equal opportunity for all and then the very questions they ask on the application form contradict that. I am calling them out on being hypocritical and inauthentic in their policies about diversity because of the way they frame what they consider diversity to be.

I have now had many instances when I have been told that I am not a "real" immigrant simply because of the way I look. It doesn't matter that my upbringing was in a different society, it doesn't matter that technically I am a pacific islander that doesn't count. Then in the same breathe they tell me how they embrace all cultures and recognise how important it is to make immigrants feel welcomed.

I'm just venting, I fully accept that discrimination goes on and that if you name isnt Jane Smith things in life will be harder for you. I am not discounting that or trying to trivialise it.

What I am saying is, I want my diversity recognised as well. I want my culture recognised on an equal footing. I am angry that I am told I am worth less because I don't fit the mould.
                  I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

This is something I have a problem with, the whole visible minority thing. Regardless of whether they are immigrants or First Nations.

People seem to think that it's okay to blend every culture that they see as "white" together. Sorry, I don't consider myself white, sorry my heritage is Croatian, not "white".

Diversity for employers should mean they simply don't discriminate about who they hire based on looks, culture or race. They shouldn't be looking for a certain skin tone, sounds an awful lot like what was happening 50 years ago or so in reverse.

Comment

What I am saying is, I want my diversity recognised as well. I want my culture recognised on an equal footing. I am angry that I am told I am worth less because I don't fit the mould.
                      I'm sorry for what you're going through; discrimination stinks in any direction.

But I have to admit that, shameful though it may be, part of me is glad to hear evidence (other than climate and the tales from Nunavut) that Canada isn't as perfect as it often sounds.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm a visible minority, I have a vagina. It does not matter what color it is, I'm still a minority, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                          I'm a visible minority, I have a vagina. It does not matter what color it is, I'm still a minority, dammit.
                          I didn't know stuff like that counts. *ahem*

I say nerdy things! Therefore I am a visible minority!

Seriously though:
                          It's not overly surprising to me that there are those who think 'black' when they hear African-American. Especially since it's become the PC way to refer to blacks regardless of their heritage. Doesn't make it any less retarded that they reacted the way they did.
                          All units: IRENE
                          HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I thought that women edged out men in terms of population. Aren't there just a few more of you than there are of us?

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post
                              I thought that women edged out men in terms of population. Aren't there just a few more of you than there are of us?
                              Yes, there are. According to the CIA's World Fact Book, there are more women than men in America. And since blas lives in the USofA, she's not a minority for having a vagina. I'M the minority for having a schlong. What now? Take away all the female scholarships and start giving men them since WE are the minorities!
                              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                              X