Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this isn't a blatant example of government waste and stupidity

...then I don't know what is.

Most Americans know that the government does a census every year that ends in a zero. About a week ago, I got an envelope in the mail from the census bureau. I opened it, thinking it was the census forms.

Turned out that instead of mailing out the census forms, which would actualy make sense, they had mailed out a letter telling me the would soon be mailing out the census forms.

What was the point of that? Wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to... I don't know... just mail out the census forms?
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

http://www.ajc.com/news/census-burea...re-365745.html

Census Bureau officials say they expect at least a 6 percent increase in returned forms as a result of the letters and postcards.

And for every 1 percent increase in responses, taxpayers save $85 million, according to the Census Bureau.

Comment

I got that same thing. Well, actually, I got it last week, I just hate checking the mail

I agree. It's such a waste.

It says that the census will be mailed out this week, and that you need to promptly fill it out and send it back. Then on the news, they said they will knock on doors of people who don't answer.

We already know how I feel about people knocking on my door during the day.

Comment

Yeah, I figured there was a reason for it, even if only in their own simple minds. It still seems like a waste. Then again, I suppose I should be glad they didn't start out by sending a letter that said they were going to send a letter that said they were sending out the census forms. And so on and so on...
        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that each state (or city, I forget which it is) gets a certain amount of money from the federal government for each person counted in the census. And at least here in Arizona, they're really pushing the idea of people filling out/returning the census forms.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            Yeah, I figured there was a reason for it, even if only in their own simple minds. It still seems like a waste. Then again, I suppose I should be glad they didn't start out by sending a letter that said they were going to send a letter that said they were sending out the census forms. And so on and so on...
            I would think the Census Bureau would know what they are doing. They've been doing it since the nation formed. What are your sources that say they are wrong?

Comment

blas: If you don't want them knocking on your door, send the form back. Problem solved

I thought the letter was stupid when I first got it, but then thought of a reasonable reason for it. There's always a chance that a legitimate but unexpected piece of mail will wind up in the junk mail pile. Not much of one, if you're careful, but it's not zero either, and some people aren't that careful. If they send this out first, that means you'd have to miss *both* of them, which is far less likely.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
                I would think the Census Bureau would know what they are doing. They've been doing it since the nation formed. What are your sources that say they are wrong?
                Just my own personal observations of government stupidity and waste over the years.

Comment

Just my own personal observations of government stupidity and waste over the years.
                  Except that your experiences are as everyone's anecdotal at best and (in this case at least) painfully external. In this case we're dealing with people who's entire job it is to run the numbers, and we have about as much evidence as can be wanted to say that they have and this produces the best end result. Plenty of things in life don't make sense at first glance, doesn't mean they're wrong.
                  All units: IRENE
                  HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

This post is just to inform you all that I will be making a post in this forum soon.

:: P

Comment

Then again, I suppose I should be glad they didn't start out by sending a letter that said they were going to send a letter that said they were sending out the census forms. And so on and so on...
                      Well, the government has to justify that postal increase somehow...

Seriously though, I can see why they'd want those forms filled out. Costs money to send someone out to get the same information

Comment

Maybe you can use the internet to get something weird and wonderful put in as a new religion in the census. Hey, it worked for Star Wars fans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
                        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
                          What are your sources that say they are wrong?
                          *Looks at title of forum. Yep, thought it was the "Things I hate" venting forum. Shrugging because I wasn't aware we needed sources to back up our opinion of something that we hate, because it's....opinion!!!

I'm with you, Mike, regardless of how many links get posted justifying it, or whether we are encouraged that they know what they're doing because they've been doing it for years .

It seriously seems like a ridiculous waste of money to mail out a letter announcing that forms will be mailed.

People don't read notices and letters, or signs, so they really aren't going to pay any more attention to some letter that comes informing them to watch for the census forms. I highly doubt it will result in a higher rate of returned forms.

It reminded me of a news story I saw earlier this week. (I can't find the link at the moment.)
                          A politician held a press conference to make an announcement that he was planning to make an announcement on whether he was going to run in an election.
                          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I don't want to fill it out because I don't buy stamps.

Unless I can do it online. Pfft. Stamps are a waste of money. The last time I used a stamp was over a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                              I don't want to fill it out because I don't buy stamps.

Unless I can do it online. Pfft. Stamps are a waste of money. The last time I used a stamp was over a year ago.
                              No stamps needed; a postage-paid return envelope is included.

Comment

Working...
                              X