Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETA goes after the Olsen Twins!

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/st...11134109990001

I put this in Things I hate 'cos I hate PETA and this is just ... gah ... infringing on people's right to wear fur!

I really don't like PETA. Maybe a long time ago, when it was first formed, the group was actually good for something. However, with the extreme, ridiculous, condenscending, unlawful (throwing paint on someone's fur coat = assault in my book) things they have done, I say PETA has overstayed its welcome. And to go after 2 girls, whose clothing line for girls is actually pretty decent and something I might actually put my daughter in (the clothes are actually, in my opinion, modest compared to the trash that is being marketed elsewhere). Really, doesn't PETA have some cows/sheep/horses/shelter animals out there to save rather than harrass these poor girls?
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Eh. PETA had a good message on its surface, but dig deeper and they're crazy militants who would have us not keep any animals at all. Further, they have a bad habit of killing animals, too.
    Even other animal rights activist groups think they're a crock.

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
      Really, doesn't PETA have some cows/sheep/horses/shelter animals out there to save rather than harrass these poor girls?
      Well, they do have other things to do, but those type of things don't grab headlines.

Not too sure in what sense you mean "poor". They're hardly destitute. I also rather doubt that they've seen this "trollsen twins" cobblers.

Sure, they're famous, and they have to deal with all the problems that come from that in this day and age, but they also get the benefits from it as well.

As to PETA, I can see that they're trying the old technique of renaming to control. Animal companions - apparently the word 'pet' is demeaning or some bollocks similar to that. A dog or cat doesn't know either way - calling it a pet or an animal companion makes no odds as long as the animal is treated decently. If they can cause everyone to use their word, then people will be ceding some control to them. It's the foot in the door.

They want control of how you think. Sod that.

I don't want to see animal abuse. However, I'm not having that bunch of whackjobs (and if there are any moderate members of PETA around then sodding well speak up, because the loonies are ruining it for everyone else) telling me I can't eat meat, something my species has been doing for years.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Raps, when I said "poor girls", I wasn't referring to their financial status. It must be an American colloquilism(sic). What I'm saying is, that at least one of the girls has been suffering from anorexia, they've had some personal problems made public, and now they're being harrassed by idiots who claim they're doing this for the animals? Gah ... I hate PETA.

I'm not even going to go into about what they supposedly did with homeless dogs in like North or South Carolina. Or that they even steal family pets and claim they were abandoned.

If PETA could be outlawed, I'd be the first in line to outlaw them. They really have no life and are jealous of those who do.
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Their blanket condemnation of any pets is crazy. What of the caring cat/dog people who rescue furkids from a worse life? All my family's pets have been shelter kitties or strays that wandered in for food one day and decided they didn't want to leave Were they being "abused" just on the basis of being warm and safe with humans instead of getting injured/starving/freezing to death outside? Hell no, each and every one of our kitties was/is treated like one of the family (McGriff is telling me he dares anyone to disagree with that ).

Most domestic pet breeds probably couldn't survive in the wild very long (it's been said that dogs and humans evolved in tandem; humans needed dogs to hunt, and dogs stuck around humans for warmth and shelter).

I might go so far as to call the PETA whackos domestic terrorists of a sort...does the Olsen clothing line use any real fur besides the 'common' stuff?

Yes, I don't particularly like the idea of animals raised for fur, but I don't go around throwing paint on people (IMO that's assault + willful destruction of property) or vandalizing the fur shop down the street.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-14-2007, 01:46 PM.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I don't like the idea of people wearing fur either, but I just bite my lip.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
              I don't like the idea of people wearing fur either, but I just bite my lip.
              Exactly. It's possible to disagree with what someone does without being a dick about it.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Meh, they seem to be all about getting any sort of press, as if just because they're in the news will make them Right.
                "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

PETA is a domestic terrorist group. They are a bunch of nutjobs. I have utterly no problem with people wearing fur. I mean maybe Growing up on a farm makes me think differently about this but animals are there for us to use. And if you raise them and take care of them and dont treat them cruelly (and cruelty is not a lot of what PETA says it is) then what happens to them when its time to cull them or use them is not any of their business.

As for the Olsen twins they could use more fur to hide their skinny little butts. They turned out to be another example of how hollywood destroys child star's lives and turns them into media junkies.

Comment

I don't like PETA, either.

And as long as the animals aren't tortured or harvested illegally, I really don't have issues with fur being used.

Also, I like meat.

I think that what those little morons in training did to the Olsen twins is terrible.

You've got to wonder about PETA when other animal rights groups refuse to associate with them and even go so far as to condemn them.
                    "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                    "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Yup. Did they EVER get any good press?!

Comment

I'm actually a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals, that is

But seriously, someone took the wind out of A PETA campaign awhile back. One of those fools went around putting "eating animals" stickers on stop signs all over town. ("Stop eating animals," get it?) Shortly after that started, some smartass got a black permanent marker and wrote "without Ketchup" right below it

With that said, I find it interesting that these fools only support giving rights to certain animals. When's the last time you heard of protests for cockroaches?

Comment

Interestingly enough, this reminds me of a recent case we had to deal with. There's a company called Ecover over here. It had the coveted Vegan Society sticker on their goods - they're all household cleaning products, but they have a strict no-animal testing policy, ergo the mark.

They landed in some PR hot water recently when it was revealed that they had commissioned some testing, but it turned out to be on water fleas. These are creatures ranging from half a millimetre to two millimetres or so. They are also not covered by European standards for animal testing, therefore they weren't considered for that.

Some people stopped buying their goods over this. Most of us just said "meh" and got on with our lives. The products, by the way, are apparently completely biodegradeable, hence the reason we stock them.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post

With that said, I find it interesting that these fools only support giving rights to certain animals. When's the last time you heard of protests for cockroaches?
                            Pretty much. there's a definite warm-blooded, vertebrate bias as far as a lot of animal rights organizations go.

Comment

As an example of some of our bias...
                              "...the only reason we don't eat people is 'cause it tastes lousy"

cookies for the reference.

There is a definite prejudice among humans regarding which animals we save, those we eat and those we murder outright. It all depends on their cuteness or usefulness...or downright peskiness (i.e. cockroaches).

A high school teacher once asked our class if bread mold and koala bears both were endangered and we could only save one, which would it be.

Now, I knew what she was getting at, but being a smart-ass said "Koalas, because I am allergic to penicillin and it is hazardous to my health." I received a death-glare.

I believe there is also a M*A*S*H episode that makes reference to not eating horses because they are noble animals, but doing pigs a favor by eating them because they are ugly. (Colonel Potter- he is upset at the talk about Korean villagers eating horses because they have no other meat)

We are biased. I would never eat a horse (knowingly) but I love beef, pork, chicken....etc. etc. I don't think I could ever eat an animal that had a name...but...well....
                              "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                              "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Working...
                              X