No announcement yet.

Forcing people to "live green"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was referring specifically to heat lamps used for incubating chicks, not Easy Bake ovens.

Comment

I'm more worried about what happens when my lava lamp bulb goes :/

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Perhaps some chafing dish fuel (those sterno cans)?

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
          Man I never even thought of things like easy bake ovens lol...but yeah there are uses besides "light" that can't be utilized with the non incandescant bulbs.

Why oh why can't they just let them be
          I live in a valley with multiple oil refineries and multiple coal fired power plants. There are 2 million people who are BEGGING for energy efficiency to be increased by whatever means necassary whether or not they realize it. If you live on the Wasatch Front it's not a question of IF you are going to have respirotory problems due to the pollution here, it's how bad you are going to suffer. There are still places where rolling blackouts are a reality. Salt Lake avoids rolling blackouts because Rocky Mountain Power has an agreement with certain households where they get a discount if they allow RMP to control their air conditioners and shut them off during peak power demand.
          Like it or not, we are on the edge of an energy shortage and already have major pollution problems, sometimes force of law is the only thing that will work to keep us from teetering over (going even deaper in).
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
            Why oh why can't they just let them be
            Why oh why can't they leave the little bulbs be?
            Where oh where will they go? (think singing)
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

What comes up when you plant a light bulb?
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                What comes up when you plant a light bulb?
                A good idea
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

If you've got what I think you've got, Rapscallion (Mathmos lava lamp) I sure hope you can keep using it! No one makes Lava like the original...Mathmos...which are nigh-impossible to get here in the US.

A lot more fixtures than my lava lamps need incandescents. I have fixtures using candelabra-base and intermediate base bulbs of all manner of shapes and colors, old Danish and French fixtures that require French-size-base bulbs, and a vintage 70s ceiling fan with a star-shaped light fixture that only takes some very specialized bulbs with bipin Swan bases.

Comment

OMG...I know I've seen threads on here or cs about plastic bags being banned. Well they want to push legislation to do that here also.....and damn it I USE those plastic bags for trash and taking lunch and stuff.

I do have some of those reusable bags and use them sometimes. BUT I still want the plastic bags. They are great waste basket liners and I don't want to spend money on bags for that purpose if I don't have to.

It's another case of forcing me to live green in a manner I don't want to!!
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Stores love the whole green movement, because it gives them the excuse to charge for something they should really be giving away free with a purchase.

I am a big environmentalist, but even I admit that banning plastic bags does fuck-all nothing in the greater scheme of things. Nearly everyone I know re-used their shopping bags as waste basket liners. Now they buy garbage bags. Nothing has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                        Stores love the whole green movement, because it gives them the excuse to charge for something they should really be giving away free with a purchase.

I am a big environmentalist, but even I admit that banning plastic bags does fuck-all nothing in the greater scheme of things. Nearly everyone I know re-used their shopping bags as waste basket liners. Now they buy garbage bags. Nothing has changed.
                        Thank you....my point exactly It....is......pointless and stupid to ban them.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Here's something else to think about--not long ago, my grandmother's county...tried to force people into paying for garbage service. Outside of town, most people simply burned their trash, or dumped food into the nearest field. My family did that for years, and if the farm hadn't been sold in 2007...would continue to do so.

Why? Well, there's some benefit to the ash--it puts nitrogen back into the soil...which allowed us to repair some of the damage done to fields over the years. Plus, whatever I couldn't burn (glass, aluminum, etc.) got recycled.

Oh, and let's not forget the *other* benefit...burning the trash (along with old reports from work) kept my ass warm in the winter! Even a small fire made it possible to run my trains upstairs during even the coldest snowstorms.

Comment

Burning trash also tends to release quite a number of toxins into the atmosphere. It all depends on what you burn.

I understand that it's common practice in many rural areas, but it's not really a good idea. There's a reason why local governments use landfills instead of incinerators for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                              Burning trash also tends to release quite a number of toxins into the atmosphere. It all depends on what you burn.

I understand that it's common practice in many rural areas, but it's not really a good idea. There's a reason why local governments use landfills instead of incinerators for the most part.
                              I live in country and we burn a lot of cardboard and paper, but also have regular trash service. Some people will burn anything and stand around the fire making smores.... you know because that smoke with batteries and other toxins is just gives them the sweetest taste.

Also, When we cut down a tree the limbs that aren't viable to use for our fireplace get tossed on a pile that gets burned couple times a year usually resulting in friends hanging out for a bon fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X