Cash for Clunkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cash for Clunkers

In response to forcing people to be green, I was reminded of America's cash for clunkers and its horrible execution.

While it is nice, to encourage people to get more fuel efficient cars, I can't help but notice how wasteful the program was, mainly because of the most common switching being an f150 for an f150 that got a few miles better a gallon. Had one customer who hadn't even paid off his truck completely and was telling me he was planning to trade it in because if they were offering $4000 he might as well get a new truck.

I really think it was a bad idea to cease the engines so they could never run again and then send the cars off to be shredded. It would have been a better idea to part out some of the vehicles for people who were unable to trade their vehicle in and take on a car payment but wouldn't mind using recycled parts if their vehicle breaks. Instead, spare parts will have to be made from scratch when the remaining clunkers start dieing off and the owner needs to keep it running.

Also, it was a horrible attempt to sell American cars and make the bailout of Chrysler seem like a good idea as people also favored foreign car companies.

OF course another rant of who is more American - Ford who has headquarters in America but plants in Mexico and Canada. OR Honda who has their headquarters in China/Japan (I'm not sure) and has plants building the cars in OHIO, and reinvests profits into the American economy and workers.

As I understand it, once the engines were destroyed the cars went to the junkyard like any other.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It was also my understanding that only a few parts were unusable in and of themselves, and that the rest could and did go to good use.
      All units: IRENE
      HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

But still, the program was pretty wasteful. Imagine all those vehicles, which, IMHO didn't look all that bad. They could have been fixed up, and sent to third-world countries. Many people in those areas would have been happy to get a newer vehicle. From what I understand, roads in those areas are very poor, and most vehicles are driven until they literally fall apart.

With that said, all that program did, was create an extremely short-term bump in auto sales. Now that it's over, things have slowed down quite a bit.

Thought I'd throw this in here too--as much as I call Ford "the other F word," you have to give them props. Of the Big 3, they were the *only* one that didn't file for bankruptcy or take massive bailouts.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the program, but if one of the stated purposes is to get less efficient cars off the road then it makes no sense to sell them as used cars or pass them along to other countries.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

But if you sell those less efficient cars to people who have complete bombs and who otherwise couldn't afford another car then it gets a seriously crap car off the road instead of an average car.
            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Would have been nice to have those cars donated to agencies or individuals who can't afford to buy a car.

Comment

Wait, the government ran something that didn't work right? I was told the government doesn't screw stuff up involving money, or what's good for the country.

And remember, these are the same people who are wanting to run your healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
                  Wait, the government ran something that didn't work right? I was told the government doesn't screw stuff up involving money, or what's good for the country.

Correction, the government ran something that wasn't perfect. That's a damn sight different than failure. No government, corporation, or association has ever had a perfect track record, expecting one is naive to say the least.

If you want to iron out the flaws you first need to see that they aren't the most important part of any event or program, and remember that no amount of ironing will get rid of them all. People incapable of accepting the bad with the good get nothing.
                  All units: IRENE
                  HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post

Good point, something the government did wasn't perfect. I guess we should just dissolve the whole thing and give anarchy a try.

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
                      Good point, something the government did wasn't perfect. I guess we should just dissolve the whole thing and give anarchy a try.
                      You of all people wouldn't want that.
                      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

My biggest issue was that they were only offering the cash to people with fuel inefficient trucks/suvs/large cars.

A clunker shouldn't be considered a vehicle with bad mileage, it should be just a piece of shit vehicle. Period.

My Neon doesn't get the mileage it got when it was younger....sure, still better than any truck or SUV, but it's a ticking time bomb, a huge piece of shit. I could have really benefited from the program if they'd broadened it.

Comment

Working...
                        X