I just can't be happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just can't be happy

One might say I don't appreciate what i have. That is not the case as I certainly appreciate what I do have.

The problem comes from never being able to get things "just right". This weekend I had an extra day off from work so I was happy and after coordinating plans with my wife (she already had plans with her friends) I decided I'd have a nerd night, which I haven't had in a while. Friend of mine came over and we basically drank and smoked and played video games until about 4 am.

Quite fun, at least for me. I love doing that and my new work/family schedule doesn't allow for it very often. So I like things to be perfect when I do get a night of my own. I recognize that there are things I need. If I'm going to drink I need booze, and I don't wanna run out of smokes, and I'd like to have food. So I took care of all these things. Check check check.

Wife already had plans with her friends, so she'd be gone. Check. The boy was going to visit his paternal grandparents for the weekend, and the girl was going to my mom's for the night. No wife, no kids, no family. Yay!

"But I don't wanna be stuck with the baby all day so make sure you come get her early."

Great. Follow a night of extreme exhaustion with an early as fuck morning.

Something always has to fuck it up! And I can never be happy because its not perfect. And by perfect I don't mean some minor flaw, I mean like a serious monkey wrench. Because knowing I had to get up early and go get the kid earlier than I would have liked puts a damper on the whole evening.

It's a drag but your own attitude gets in the way too, I think. Instead of thinking about having to get your kid in the morning, why didn't you just put it out of your mind and enjoy yourself while you could? I know for many people that's easier said than done, but you can't always be thinking about the crappy stuff that's coming. My grandma died just before my senior prom and I had to attend her funeral the day after my prom. I could have been miserable all night but I put it from my mind, had fun all night and let the grief come back in the morning.

Maybe just something to think about and try next time.

Comment

Some people are better at that than others. I have a possibly-similar problem: If I only have four or five hours to sleep, I'll spend the first two of them awake, worrying about not getting enough sleep.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Some people are better at that than others. I have a possibly-similar problem: If I only have four or five hours to sleep, I'll spend the first two of them awake, worrying about not getting enough sleep.
        I do that too! I hate that. It's even worse if I want to lie down for a quick nap, and I know I only have an hour or so. I'll toss and turn for most of that time, dozing, and finally falling asleep maybe 15-20 minutes before I actually have to get up.

Comment

I am like that also. I hate it when I finally have time to just myself and someone calls or comes over.

Comment

Working...
          X