Everyone's dreams and fantasies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone's dreams and fantasies...

Minds out of the gutter, this one is not about sex-like dreams or fantasies!

I may get some flack for this one, but I'm sick and tired of hearing about everyone's little dreams and fantasies when they won't do anything about it, or they just keep dwelling on it.

It's cute to hear kids say "One day I'm going to be a doctor and make lots of money and live in a mansion, cousin blas!" but it's another thing day in and day out, to hear my grown coworkers (especially ones old enough to be my parents or older) to keep dwelling on "I was always going to be a nuclear this or that" or "One of these days I WILL have my brand new 2010 Camaro" or "One of these days I will get that degree in engineering"

Look, I'm not in the best place right now and I'm fully aware of it. I could go on and on bashing myself for not already graduating college and being in a better paying job field. I could already BE a paralegal making way more than I am at this pissant factory job, and I could already own a nice home and have a decent car. But it's MY own fault (well, that and financial aid's fault for still dwelling on my parents until age 24) that I never went yet. It's MY own fault I stayed in my current job and didn't look for anything else....although there isn't much out there.

You don't see/hear me going on and on about coulda/woulda/shoulda, or dwelling on "Soon enough, I WILL have that new car!"

I swear, every time I see my bf, he does the "Soon I will have that BMW Roadster and that crotchrocket"....no you won't. You need to get off probation and get your license back, first. And good luck affording insurance with the record you have.

And to some of my coworkers...really, I'd LOVE to see you actually take some insitiative and quit this place and get that Camaro. Call me and pick me up for a ride when you do.

I really didn't mean for this to be all about cars or material things, it's just the best examples I have for the time being.

It's just really annoying. We are beyond being 5 years old and saying "One day I WILL do this and WILL have this and this and this." Fucking do it already or shut up.

Meh, I gave up on my dreams a few years ago, so I don't bother people with them.
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Oh I try to get my dreams to come true.

Just no-one shares that dream. So yeah. Little tough.
      Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
      I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

I was doing that a lot - still do, to a point, but I'm trying to get better. I am writing, for example, and while I know I'm going to have tons of editing to do, I'm within three chapters of finishing the first draft of a novel.

Comment

Anyone vowing to own a brand-new 2010 camaro better get their ass moving. The 2011 models come out in what, august or september?

Comment

Thanks to un-encouragement from my parents I never really dreamed, hence why I have graduated college and have NO idea what i really want to do in this shitty economy, I just want a nice IT job but don't really know doing what. I know people who my freshman year had all these plans and had the next 5-6 years of their lives planned out. Usually something would go wrong, they had to remake everything. I prefer to just go with the flow and try and be happy instead of having dreams that won't come true.

Comment

I dream, but that's all it is a dream. I wanted to go to Wrestling school, after I graduated high school. Never happened. I am only now looking into starting my own home business. So at-least, I am doing something that I wanted.

Comment

I have dreams of the impossible, or at least very improbable... for example, I've always thought it would be fun to be a game show host. (If I could pick one, and why not since it's a fantasy anyway, it'd be Pyramid, 80's style.) And if I for any reason became rich, I'd buy a motor home and spend a year or so driving around the country any way the mood took me. And then, of course, there are those of the variety you specifically said the thread wasn't about But I don't go around claiming I'm GOING to do those things (unless, of course, by miracle.) I don't normally mention them at all, to anybody.

Actually, until recently I've never really had goals for my life. Now I do, even if they're somewhat vague and some of them I don't really even know how to get started with and/or am too shy, but hey, progress is progress. Because I was working Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons for so long, for example, I'd been without church for so long I didn't realize I even missed it, or else it means more than it did when I took it for granted. Now if I just knew how to go about finding one that's a good fit, especially when the one thing most likely to make it a poor fit is something I'm really not comfortable even asking about in that setting... anyway, finding a church is at least a goal, and visiting different ones is a reasonable step in that direction... next goal: some kind of job, mostly regardless of pay, that's primarily done indoors, sitting (because with my family history and my own starting point, I know I will not be able to stand all day every day for the rest of my working life; if I'm changing now anyway, therefore, that should be included if possible), and at least mostly done during the day, during the week. Because, while I don't have a "family" in the sense of wife and kids, I do have close relatives, and love them dearly. And for fifteen years, far longer than is necessary to forget what I was missing, I was almost always working when they weren't. So: I'm in school again, this time with *motive*. So all that leaves unattacked are finding friends and dating. I don't really even know where to begin! Never did get the hang of socializing, and like other things, until recently didn't really miss it. How do you even learn such things at 35 years old when everybody else learned them as teenagers or before? So I'll work on the career and church-finding, and perhaps, if I'm very lucky, the other will take care of itself.

I don't know whether this post is on-topic or not. Maybe it's an example of precisely what the OP hates, though it was intended to be the opposite. Maybe it doesn't make enough sense for anyone to even have read down this far. If it causes offense of any kind at all, I apologize. But now that it's typed, I can't bring myself to delete it.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

My dream was always to be a musician of some sorts, but that just never panned out. I was born in the wrong part of the world, for one thing, where no one wants to play or listen to the music that I do. I suppose I could have up and runoft to california or something and tried, but that's just stupid. Like one in a thousand people get anywhere doing that.

I have small dreams now. Right now my goal in life is to get my warrior up to level 80. At least I'm accomplishing something!

Comment

Working...
                  X