rumour-spreaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rumour-spreaders

*A quick note - this is something which I only found about earlier this evening, and I'd kind of rather not get into any more detail on it other than what I'm sharing........let's just say that this one example of why I'm sometimes ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian*

My rant for the day is with people who spread false rumours - apparently there's been an issue with some of our church members starting stories about our pastor and one of her female friends, and it almost got to where our version of District Management had to step in and get involved. And the only reason I found out any of this was going on was because there was a meeting of church leaders tonight, my mom is on one of the committees, and she shared some info with me.

I don't know if it's known which church members were doing the rumour-spreading (it's been kept quiet of it is), but it just disgusts me that those people apparently have nothing better to do than make up nasty stories.

I used to have this junkie neighbor who spent his days booting up and his nights terrorizing me and vandalizing my property. Police wouldn't even help, since I must have deserved it (been runnin my mouth or something). Then someone started a nasty rumor about him wearing a wire to different drug dealers houses and getting them all busted. Poor guy.

Comment

Well, much of the reason this bothers me is that most of our church members are in the 60+ crowd, and one would think that they'd have gotten out of the "need to spread malicious gossip" stage by now. But again, it's hard for me to comment because I don't know the entire story, and those who do know are keeping the details a secret.
      Last edited by KellyHabersham; 03-31-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

You're kidding, right? Old people gossip as much as anybody; they've had more practice.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          You're kidding, right? Old people gossip as much as anybody; they've had more practice.
          Oh, I'm not saying that older people don't gossip........just that I feel there's a difference between idle gossip and being malicious/nasty for no purpose, and it's definitely sad that instead of the other issues the church has to worry about, these people would rather focus on spreading rumours.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            And they have nothing else to do.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Everyone expects a certain amount of gossip within their own social group, but I find it especially abhorrent when I hear an older person gossiping about someone young enough to be their child.

When I was an undergrad, I was the victim of some gossip in my hometown which turned out to be spread by the mother of one of my friends. I believe she had twisted some of the information he had given her about me to make it sound more interesting.

The rumours didn't bother me much, since I had left town at that point and didn't plan on moving back. But I could never get over how sad and immature this person's mother must have been to find the (supposed) life of a 19 year-old so interesting to talk about.

Comment

Working...
              X