Extremely Short Text Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Short Text Messages

Especially if it's from someone who doesn't have Verizon. I have 300 texts a month for people who don't have Verizon. That's texts sent and received combined. I have one girl friend that repeatedly, REPEATEDLY, sends me a text, every freaking day, just to say "Hey". Every day. It's the same message. "Hey". Always these ridiculously short messages! I have AIM, I know she has AIM, and she never IMs me. But she still texts "Hey". I've even had a discussion with her about how much I hate getting text messages that just say "Hey". It's gotten to the point where I just don't text her back anymore when she just says "Hey". After all this time, of ignoring that stupid freaking message, you'd think she'd take the hint, but no! Still, I get these stupid ass message.

In closing, F*** OFF WITH THE DAMN "HEY'!
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

The poor girl doesn't appear to be too quick on the uptake.

You may just need to pull her aside and say "Please don't text me unless you have information you need to give me. I don't have a huge text plan, and can't afford a bigger one."

Comment

I've had that chat with her. A few times. And every time, she acknowledged it and wouldn't do it for a lil while. But she always starts up on it again.

On that note, I just got a text from someone using her phone telling me that she is in the hospital. I asked what happened and apparently she od'ed on Tylenol. The doctors can't get her breathing...
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Sucks about your friend. Sending good thoughts

Back on topic, a good friend of mine texts me. All the damn time. She's intelligent and has helped me with my Japanese but whenever I tell her to just use the phone, she still texts me. I'll admit that I hate talking on the phone but I'll take it over a text because you can say a lot more talking than you can typing.
        "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

Comment

Until I met my BF who only has a home phone (land line) and no cell phone or computer, I only did txting or IMing. When he came along I had to get used to talking on the phone. Wow, that was a big change.

Now I'm not on MSN as much and barely txt. lol.
          I don't like one word txt messages either. Its free to recieve, but it costs me to return a msg. So I try to get as much into a txt msg as possible. I've done the one word chats before and it just ends up costing me, so I tend to ignore them now.

Comment

Originally posted by ArenaBoy View Post
            Sucks about your friend. Sending good thoughts
            I'll admit that I hate talking on the phone but I'll take it over a text because you can say a lot more talking than you can typing.

I hate talking on the phone, but I hate texting even more. If it is important and you cannot get through to me at all, then yeah go ahead and text me. Just don't text me saying Hey, Whats up? Or, you wanna kick it tonight. The only time I will text, is to these 2 ladies, who one is a nurse and the other works on the phones all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawn View Post
              I don't like one word txt messages either. Its free to recieve, but it costs me to return a msg.
              Ditto.

I dislike texting in part because typing on a phone keypad is a nightmare for me, and part because I like to keep proper grammar/spelling from dying out (I'll let some IM misspellings slip through, but in general I cannot stand textspeak). I tend to reserve it for emergencies; sometimes if I can't call due to lack of signal, a text will get through.

The ex used to send me pointless texts daily, to the point where I was seriously considering finding a cellphone virus that destroyed texting ability.
              "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
                ...and part because I like to keep proper grammar/spelling from dying out (I'll let some IM misspellings slip through, but in general I cannot stand textspeak).
                Agreed! The only time I use "textspeak" is when I've run out of characters and need to shorten my message.

In the case of texting as a whole, though, I much prefer it, and widely encourage it in my friends. I have a pay-as-you-go plan and don't really use my phone as much anymore unless it's an emergency, so if someone just wants to pass the time by chatting I'd much prefer to utilize those unlimited text messages rather than eating up my minutes.
                Plus there's always the option of calling me at home or sending a message online.
                In short, I'm not a difficult person to get ahold of by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                  You may just need to pull her aside and say "Please don't text me unless you have information you need to give me. I don't have a huge text plan, and can't afford a bigger one."
                  I can shorten that with a slap upside the head.

Comment

And now for something completely different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx-Aj-aWnY

Comment

Each text message, whether sent or received, costs me 15 cents. I'm a teacher. I do not have much discretionary income. I'd much rather receive a voice message or email, but don't get upset if I do not reply right away. There may be a very good reason I do not answer your call!

Comment

Working...
                      X