Bandwagons and the 'sheeple' who jump on them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwagons and the 'sheeple' who jump on them

Every little while, certain catchphrases will become popular, and everybody's adding it to their posts.

Right now it's the word "Fail" or "Epic fail"

I don't know why it annoys me...it just does. I think it's the lack of creativity.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

I like those. They're funny, to me, and I don't think they're all that bad in the creativity department. Maybe not top of the line, but not entirely unoriginal either.

Catchphrases can go either way with me - some I find hilarious, others are just boring to me. *shrug*
    ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

Comment

LOl...I guess I should have added that I was in a really grumpy mood today.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

This reminds me of when the Fonz was going around saying, "Hey!" - it was good when he did it, but lost its lustre when everyone and their dog did it badly at all opportunities.

It's the nature of people to seek to mimic apparent success.

The 'fail' stuff amuses me, though - grammatically it's abhorrent, changing a verb into a noun, but it has a certain ring to it.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

How about when Budweiser had the Super Bowl commercial, and for months, no matter where you were, you heard people saying, "Wasssssssssssssssssssssssup!?" Sigh. Good times.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            How about when Budweiser had the Super Bowl commercial, and for months, no matter where you were, you heard people saying, "Wasssssssssssssssssssssssup!?"
            Good example of something that was funny very briefly, and then quickly jumped the shark.

I currently find "fail" to be really funny, but I suspect it will grow old for me long before people give it up.

I think its the fact that its a grammatical shipwreck that makes it so funny.

Comment

Generally I can't stand catchphrases, but as a gamer "fail" and all variants (such as "you critically succeed at failing") amuse me greatly.
              "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I drop a lot of "catchphrases" without meaning to. I find words I like and I roll with them. At the moment, I'm rather fond of Fail. Next week, it might be Ribbon, and then I'll be using that left and right.

Actually, I've been using "Alas" a lot lately, heh heh heh.

Comment

I actually haven't heard "Fail" ever used before, other than talking about what we are going to do in our classes. Can someone enlighten me on this one?
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think it mutated from "you fail at life" to just using it as a one word response. I think originally found in MMORPG forums and in-game chat.
                    In a sentence: "Yeah, that idiot tried to walk out of the store with 20 games stuffed down his pants, but before he got to the door the weight combined with lack of belt made the whole works come crashing down, tripping him and making him fall into a display of Bratz dolls. Epic fail."

Comment

Oh...stupid.

On that note, that now clears up a message my friend from back home just sent me when I told her it was snowing here.

Comment

I always use the phrase "You suck at life"; will that transmogrify into "Epic suck" maybe?
                        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

If you google the phrase "epic suck", you get a lot of a particular song by Ten Second Epic. However, there are also a lot of incidences of the phrase in use. So it's already happened.

Comment

My favorite word these days is "douchenozzelry", replacing douchebaggery as an attribute of assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                              I think it mutated from "you fail at life" to just using it as a one word response.

I use it as a shortened version of "failure"-but that's just me(which sounds better/more likely-"you fail at life epically", or "you are an epic failure"="epic fail")
                              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                              X