Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people compare the price of gas to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When people compare the price of gas to...

I absolutely hate when people compare the price of gas to other, completely arbitrary liquids.

For instance, "I can get a gallon of water for 50 cents! Why does a gallon of gas cost $3??"

Or comparing it to the price of soda. Or milk.

The only thing that could conceivably make sense would be to compare it to the price of a gallon of crude oil. However, I've never heard anyone use that comparison. I suppose because it would actually be intelligent and valid.

If you're one of those who likes to compare gas to arbitrary liquids, I have one for you.

Why don't you compare the price of one gallon of gas to the price of one gallon of liquid gold?

That is all.
    I'm in ur Dieboldz deletin ur votez

Originally posted by gbm85 View Post
    Why don't you compare the price of one gallon of gas to the price of one gallon of liquid gold?
    Heh - someone tried that over here. Well, if you take liquid gold to mean 'beer', that is. They used the comparison to prove that beer would be more expensive for running vehicles than our overtaxed fuel.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I do that all the time, but not in the way you are talking about.

Whenever I hear someone bitch and moan about how much gas is, I always ask them why it's cool to pay a few bucks for a gallon of water or nearly two bucks for 2 liters of soda, but three bucks for a gallon of gas is crazy?
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

My favorite comparison though, has to be the one of gas in the US, versus the price of gas in China, or any other country. Why? Well, in the US, the price is per gallon--quite a few other places charge by the liter. All too often, people here get pissy because they don't realize that there's roughly 4 liters to a gallon, and start bitching about how "it's cheaper in _______!"

Comment

It's rapidly approaching $1.50 a litre here in Aussieland. (Our $ is roughly comparable to the Canadian $.)

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
            It's rapidly approaching $1.50 a litre here in Aussieland. (Our $ is roughly comparable to the Canadian $.)
            Canadian gas is about 1.10 per litre right now (in major urban centres).

The Aussie dollar is currently worth about 90 cents Canadian, so that explains part of the difference. Also, I guess you'll have added shipping costs that we don't have.

My guess is that, all in all, gas prices are quite comparable in most industrialized nations.

Comment

I paid nearly $0.76 a liter last time I filled up. That's $2.87 a gallon. Go New Jersey!
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Looks like gas prices in the US are significantly cheaper than they are here.

Comment

I don't think our gas is as heavily taxed as european or aussie gas is.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                    I don't think our gas is as heavily taxed as european or aussie gas is.
                    Not yet anyway--the idiots in Harrisburg already want *another* gas tax, in addition to the ones already on it!

Comment

Originally posted by gbm85 View Post
                      I absolutely hate when people compare the price of gas to other, completely arbitrary liquids.

For instance, "I can get a gallon of water for 50 cents! Why does a gallon of gas cost $3??"
                      "Try running your car with water in the fuel tank." Dumbasses.
                      People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                      If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Working...
                      X