I want my damn money!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want my damn money!

I know perfectly well that my paycheck, and the checks of a hundred other employees, are sitting in the boss's office right now. I know they were there yesterday for payday.

However, they decided we're not going to get them until today, at the end of the shift. Why? Because it's friday and its an unscheduled work day and they know people are gonna call in sick because no one wants to give up a day off, so they hold the checks hostage.

Ok, I get that. Valid reasoning. Of course, I had a valid reason for missing a day of work once but they still called it unexcused. But that's beside the point.

I wonder if I bought a product from them, would they let me pay for it tomorrow cuz I don't have money today? Of course not. They were say "we want our money on time."

Sure its only one day, but we get paid bi-weekly and even that one day puts a stretch on the budget. Plus, we might not get off work until after the banks close. That means I have to wait until Monday to cash my check, when my car payment and internet bill and several other bills were due yesterday.

Just more bullshit. Yay we're the powerful company and we get to screw you even harder today!

That sounds somewhat illegal to me, but I have never worked in payroll/accounting for a company before so I don't know any of the rules/laws regarding paychecks. Does your company offer direct deposit? You would probably have the money faster that way regardless, since you wouldn't have to go to the bank to cash a check. Also, a lot banks are open on Saturdays, would you be able to cash your check tomorrow?

Comment

I hate to say it, but if Friday is payday, they don't have to give you the checks until then. At least with direct deposit, my pay shows up around midnight the night before. All I get in the pay envelope, is a check stub. Nothing to deposit, no worries. It's much easier that way

Comment

It sounds like Thursday was payday, though.

Originally posted by DF
        I know perfectly well that my paycheck, and the checks of a hundred other employees, are sitting in the boss's office right now. I know they were there yesterday for payday.
        If Thursday is payday, can they legally withhold checks from employees until the next day?

Comment

Hmm, the wording is a bit iffy, Maggie. They could have been in the office, but for distribution on Friday. Some managers, however, might have been lenient in saying, "If it's there, take it." I know at my job, the checks would come in a couple days early, but they weren't allowed to distribute until the actual "payday."

Dr, you should get direct deposit. Less hassle.

Comment

Indeed. Same for us. Payday is friday. However alot of times, checks come in on thursday. Some managers let their employees take it, but some banks will not accept them until the next day period. (I only rarely had that problem. Only the new people at banks refused).
            Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
            I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
              Hmm, the wording is a bit iffy, Maggie. .
              Not really the wording seems clear to me that the checks where there yesterday for payday which indicates the time of payday. Yesterday.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

He didn't say yesterday (Thursday) was payday, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                  Not really the wording seems clear to me that the checks where there yesterday for payday which indicates the time of payday. Yesterday.
                  None of us know when his pay period is. Not our business. But if the company's pay period is that day, but got checks in early, that doesn't mean they get checks early. (Alot of places still get checks a day in advance. Sometimes they'll hand it out that day, some don't. Depends on places of business).
                  Last edited by Boozy; 05-01-2010, 12:30 AM.
                  Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
                  I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

I guess to me it was clear by the wording that Thursday was payday, but I can see where it could also mean Friday...however, I wonder why DF would be complaining if payday is always Friday? I would also find it odd if the normal payday is a day when most employees don't work.

Comment

I think his real complaint is that the company uses the checks as "collateral" so that everyone makes it to their mandatory extra shifts.....which is kind of sucky if that's true.

Comment

Well, if it's mandatory...then I'd be PO'ed too if people ditched after getting paid.

Comment

I am inclined to agree with you, but I'm also kind of bitter on that subject because I have been on mandatory overtime for almost a year.

It still smells fishy to hold paychecks hostage because people tend to call in a lot or refuse to work their extra shifts. If they are so gung-ho on write ups (like in Dr's other thread) why aren't they getting rid of people who do that?

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                            I am inclined to agree with you, but I'm also kind of bitter on that subject because I have been on mandatory overtime for almost a year.

It still smells fishy to hold paychecks hostage because people tend to call in a lot or refuse to work their extra shifts. If they are so gung-ho on write ups (like in Dr's other thread) why aren't they getting rid of people who do that?
                            In the Docs first case, it was more on a one-to-one deal. But with the people skipping out w/ their checks, that seems more like a mass exodus. Easy to fire one person, harder to fire a dozen, if you get my meaning.

Comment

I've been wondering that same thing myself. Someone I don't really trust told me that it's illegal for them to fire us if we don't come in on that extra shift. I don't know.

As far as I know, payday is Thursday. I've been there two months now and every check has come on a Thursday. To me that makes Thursday payday.

Comment

Working...
                              X