Full of shit experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full of shit experts

They're everywhere. That guy who knows everything about computers, cars, the law, or just mowing lawns. And they don't know absolutely nothing - on the contary, they know just enough to be dangerous.

And they ruin it for those of us who actually have some inkling of what we're talking about.

For instance I'm fairly good with computers. I'm no techie by any means, but I'm just good as using them and making them work when they're being stubborn because I know where to look to try and fix the problem. At the very least, I can tell you whether or not the problem you're having is something that can be fixed cheaply or if you need to sink some serious cash into it.

And I have the added advantage of actually knowing when I'm out of my league and not to screw with things. I know when to stop.

This would come in handy at work. They use computers there, and none of them really know how to use a computer, and they always have problems. Maybe I could fix them, maybe not, but I could definitely be a good fresh pair of eyes and with my computer-saavy and their knowledge of what needs to be done we might even be able to get things up and running in a timely fashion. This would score me major brownie points with the bosses when they realize I just saved them time and money.

But no. Because lots of people are "computer experts" and will lie and bullshit their way into being able to look like they know something, and then they fuck it all up. So the standard is that unless there are real credentials involved, no one touchie the computer.

So I lose an opportunity to prove myself and advance. Because of stupid people.

I get what you're saying, although I'm not very techy.

I love people who know "everything". Especially when they are always right there to correct or discredit you when you make a statement or a guess, or even when you are fairly certain you know what you're saying.

Comment

Whaaaaaaaa? You mean I can't go through life pretending to be an expert on anything I want?

That bullcrapola!

Heh: In all honestly, I rarely do that. I give advice, based on what i feel is right, but I'm no expert.

Except for Batman. Sorry. I know just about all of it. I've even watch parts of those horrid Batman Serial's from the 1940's.

I've read just about all Batman comics. I've even read serious books on Batman, like Batman Philosophy. I would expect my mastery on Batman is pretty high, and thus would consider myself an expert.

That being said on a more serious and less nerd wording, I've been working on mastery of medical terminology.
      Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
      I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Yeah, I have a couple of subjects I'm like that with, Plaid, mostly music based. And like you, Doc, I know just enough about computers to know when I don't know something (Yay!! I just wrote the most confusing sentence of the day!!). Mostly, though, unless it's music, Star Wars, or language, I leave it alone unless someone asks me about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
          They're everywhere. That guy who knows everything about computers, cars, the law, or just mowing lawns. And they don't know absolutely nothing - on the contary, they know just enough to be dangerous.
          That's because they all want the attention. Or, they're um, trying to compensate for their lack of knowledge, or trying to cover up that they really don't know what they're talking about. For example, my boss is one of those people. He can do spreadsheets on his computer, but other than that...is totally out of his league.

About 2 weeks ago, one of our wonderful computers developed problems with its video card. For whatever reason, the dual-screen setup simply wasn't working. One screen worked fine, the other didn't. Both screens had been swapped out, and worked on other computers, so they were fine. All symptoms pointed to the video card...

When I tried to tell him that the card was failing, I got the standard "it's not that old, it can't be bad" speech. He actually told me to run our various antivirus and spyware programs...which of course, didn't find anything Again, it was the fucking video card.

...or so I thought! Seems I was actually *wrong* about this. Turns out that the card itself was indeed going...but so was the motherboard! Seems it had been damaged by a recent power surge. Oops

In the end, I rebuilt that thing from scratch--I put the new motherboard in, which took about an hour. Why so long? Well, some of the case wiring (mainly the USB ports) didn't match the pinouts on the board diagram, so I had to mess with those a bit. Also holding things up, was that I couldn't get the damn thing to boot correctly. Found out later that the new video card (a PCI 2.0 unit)...wasn't compatible with the motherboard. Again, not my fault, since I didn't order it, our 3rd party tech did

As I'm trying to fix this thing, I get my boss telling me that "I'm doing something wrong" because it won't work." 99.9% of the time, it's either the directions aren't right, or because I've been told the wrong thing. I'm no computer expert, but I do know what I'm doing. I don't know *everything,* but I do know enough to not only fix things...but also when to call in outside help. In fact, our 3rd party tech has commented more than once that I *do* know what I'm doing...and that he likes my wiring jobs

Then there's my automotive knowledge. Again, I'm no expert--some things still bug me, like Mercedes' model numbers, and certain types of Ferraris. Well, what do you expect? I'm an MG guy, dammit!

With that, I'm still feeling my way in gradually. I know a fair bit about the MGB, mainly because one has been in the family since about 1979-80. In fact, I've taken my own car apart, read just about anything I can get my hands on, broken things, driven the snot out of it, etc. While I was at it, I found out that the instructions for the aftermarket electronic ignition I wanted...were wrong. Found out that the wiring diagram was backwards, and let the company know. But, I've also realized that because I'm still learning, some jobs are still left to the experts.

To sum it all up, there are experts, and there are "experts." One class knows what the hell they're doing. The other...knows just enough to be dangerous. In the automotive world, experts are called mechanics; "experts" are called "ricers." That is, mechanics know how to not only fix cars, but make them more powerful or faster. Ricers only know how to slap on a fart can or one of those stupid wings. Mechanics are concerned about performance; ricers do things that actually *hurt* performance...

Comment

I am in the same boat. Since, I am a ghost hunter. I have been doing this for years. I know what I am doing. But some people think that just because I am not famous, that I am not an expert. But all they did was go into a cemetery with a voice recorder and a digital camera and that some how, makes them more of an expert than I

Comment

Originally posted by Plaidman View Post
              Except for Batman. Sorry. I know just about all of it. I've even watch parts of those horrid Batman Serial's from the 1940's.
              <randomness> Y'know, I was doing a crossword puzzle today that reminded me of you. Clue involved Batman and Catwoman! Really simple, but yeah... <end randomness...>

Comment

Oh, I love having arguments because I actually am 100% positive on something with someone who has no idea but is also 100% positive because well they took a class on it once, compared to me majoring in it and spending spare time learning things, but its cool since eventually I win.

Comment

But I've got three levels in Expert!
                  "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                  X