Running out of steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of steam

Especially in the middle of an assignment!

So tonight, I decided to get to work on my analysis on my experience as a costume designer for the theatre creative project. It is supposed to be 600-900 words. Not bad,right? Or so I thought. I got to 360 words before I just couldn't think anymore.

This happens a lot when it comes to most papers, even the easier ones, especially when I go to work on them early. I get them done and they are good, but I hate being in the middle of the assignment and being on a roll and then all of a sudden, words no longer come out and I cannot for the life of me get the creative juices flowing.

When this happens, I just write down a few ideas that could be used and go back to it the next day. The next day always yields great results.
    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

This is why I need to have 50 things going on at once while writing essays. I get too bored too quickly and I can't focus and come up with good ideas as a result. By having music, a movie, AIM, and facebook going, I can remain not bored but continue to work on my essay.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I put on my favorite playlist myself...when I'm in the office, I often get odd looks from passerby

Comment

I had word limits, because my one prof complained that I wasn't consitant with contractions. Im sorry but when I'm short on words Im going to ramble and use "Did not" and try to fill up space. If they want quality they should suggest a range but not be so dead set on it

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
          So tonight, I decided to get to work on my analysis on my experience as a costume designer for the theatre creative project. It is supposed to be 600-900 words. Not bad,right? Or so I thought. I got to 360 words before I just couldn't think anymore.
          I don't understand how someone could write a paper like that.

The only way I've ever been able to write a well-organized and persuasive paper is to do an outline before I get started. This always gave me a good idea of how long the paper would be and how many points I'll have to make -- and in what detail.

Starting at the beginning and writing towards the end just wouldn't work for me. I think that's part of why you have writer's block. One really needs to go in with a plan.

Comment

I can't work with an outline. It's strange, but true. I have tried multiple times to use an outline and it just didn't work for me. I know. I'm an odd duck.

A professor that wants you to use contractions? o.O My profs would kill us if we used a contraction in a paper!
            "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
              I can't work with an outline. It's strange, but true. I have tried multiple times to use an outline and it just didn't work for me. I know. I'm an odd duck.
              I usually can't either, although I'm going to have to for the monster of a paper I have to write this week. Blarg.

Comment

I am a two hour writer if it is just an essay I usually write the paper within two hours of it being due.

I work best when I am under pressure.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

Working...
                X