Fanclubs on CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanclubs on CS

This has been in the back of my mind for a while but I've had it.

Over on CS there are always certain posters who seem to have a fanclub. Not jealous or anything but it gets annoying when I have to dig through threads of annoying "poster worship" to find something with at least what I'm hoping is something, anything that contributes to the thread and not some annoying baahing of sheeple.

There are always members who will post some hilarious stories but then there's a certain member who's only funny mainly through exaggerated writing and wit. That's it but the way some go about it they treat it as if it's a magical. I have nothing against certain member but more or less its fan club. Yeesh. It gets annoying when all I see is posts saying "ZOMG YOU ARE THE AWESOME!!!" There's a reason why I just read the OP and that's it.
    "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

That's pretty much what I do. It doesn't bother me, I just don't read past the OP. As long as it's contained in that thread and not flooding the main page with how great Poster X is, I have no problems with it.

Comment

It's a bit of a tricky situation from an admin perspective. It's pretty obvious when taking an objective view that huge amounts of adoration will turn on the object of their affection when told 'no', and there is one instance where that happened. The problem is that - for some of the people adored - it's embarassing.

Generally, it's harmless. What can we do about it anyway? The people who are adored are those who can write well (the tales are often on a par with others), so do we do something that could be taken as punishing them for being good? The only way I can see to act is to hope that people take on board new and better ways to post, not to mention improve their grammar.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ArenaBoy View Post
        Over on CS there are always certain posters who seem to have a fanclub. Not jealous or anything but it gets annoying when I have to dig through threads of annoying "poster worship" to find something with at least what I'm hoping is something, anything that contributes to the thread and not some annoying baahing of sheeple.

Same with me. I get tired of shifting through all the pages and it is only 3 posts, that is about the OP. Too me, it is BS. And no, I am not going to quit CS.com
        Last edited by Ree; 02-06-2008, 03:30 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

It's even worse when the original poster who's acquired the fan club is clearly trying to discourage it. But my recommendation is to do just what you're doing: read the person's posts, ignore the rest of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ArenaBoy View Post
            I couldn't agree with you more.

I have made several posts asking people to quit with the fangirl/fanboy crap, but they just get annoyed with me and I come off as nitpicky.
            In one case, we had a thread run to close to 5 pages, and the majority of the thread was a discussion of fanclub uniforms and officers, and other nonsense along the same line.

We could try to encourage them to use the off topic smiley so it's easier to root through the miles of inane sheeple idol worship posts, but we can't even get them to follow site rules, so it would be constant monitoring and editing.

My biggest issue with it is that, sometimes, the members start believing their own press and start to think they are the heart and soul of the site and the place would fall without them.
            CS is about each and every member, and in my opinion, that's what makes the place great, rather than any one particular member.
            Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Not only are there fanclubs, I get the feeling that the opposite is the case as well. What I mean is it appears that some people rip on other specific members, be it in a completely obvious way or in a more concealed, but equally "bitchy" way.
              Instead of responding to people you dislike, I think it would be good practice if those who have a problem with certain members ignored them completely and kept their two cents to themselves.

Comment

If that was directed at me, (and I assume it was because it came right behind my comment) I just have to say that I don't dislike any particular member, although I'm sure there are some who annoy me or who have not been particularly nice to me, so there certainly isn't a lot of love lost.

In fact, I think we all know to whom some of the "fanclub" stuff was directed. I think that member is a wonderful writer. I love his biting sarcasm and creative insults. I feel the derailing of posts with all that fanclub nonsense is an insult to the OP.

In the cases when I have stepped in and asked for the fanclub stuff to stop, that member had already expressed the fact that he was embarrassed by it and felt it detracted from his threads.
                Last edited by Ree; 03-06-2008, 12:20 PM.
                Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by horror View Post
                  Instead of responding to people you dislike, I think it would be good practice if those who have a problem with certain members ignored them completely and kept their two cents to themselves.
                  Personally, I have shut out two people entirely. They're on my ignore list. I barely even realize they've posted, since I never see a word from them thanks to that.

Wouldn't be hard to figure out who it is either. Heck, one of them got into it with me, and wound up getting a thread closed because he and I deteriorated too far.

Good feature, that ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                    In fact, I think we all know to whom some of the "fanclub" stuff was directed. I think that member is a wonderful writer. I love his biting sarcasm and creative insults. I feel the derailing of posts with all that fanclub nonsense is an insult to the OP.
                    Thanks Ree. Just HAD to post about me, didn't you?

I can't stand posts that are don't contribute to what's being talked about. I mean, at least do something that furthers the conversation, whether or not it is completely about the main topic. But there seem to be a lot of spam posts that don't involve any actual conversation. Bah.

On that note, I love Ree! I love Ree! I love Ree! Oh, wait, NO fan clubs. Nevermind...
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Heh...oh Greenday, you are just too damned adorable.
                      Point to Ponder:

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                        If that was directed at me, (and I assume it was because it came right behind my comment) I just have to say that I don't dislike with any particular member, although I'm sure there are some who annoy me or who have not been particularly nice to me, so there certainly isn't a lot of love lost.
                        The fact that my comment fell after yours is purely coincidental.
                        We all know what assuming does. Don't make me recite the cliche.

Comment

Love the posters, hate the fanclubs and nonsense posts that accompany.

I wish there was something that could be done, but alas, there is not. >.<

Oh wellz.

Comment

Well, we mods could tromp all over anything even vaguely fanclubby - and we'd be hated and distrusted even more than we already are.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am (we are?) willing to listen. But see the 'What's going on at CS?' thread as well: apparently getting a 'mod' under your name turns you into a power-crazed zealot.

Comment

Over at Something Awful, when fandom gets to be too much and was overwhelming some threads, posters get probated. But then, it's a much different forum than CS.

Frankly I spend more of my time over there than at CS anymore. Weirdly, bitching about my job made me crankier and more oversensitive about it. Coming home, drinking a nice glass of wine and laughing at some amazing photoshops makes me happier all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                              X