No announcement yet.

I'm "not supposed to" be sarcastic--?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm "not supposed to" be sarcastic--?!

Apparently, my diagnosis of mild Aspergers means that I have no sense of humor and am unable to understand sarcasm (and by extension be sarcastic myself)

I'll be venting about a stupid client or Amazon customer to mom or my therapist (not using names), and get "now you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you/blame the person" (nice for you to assume I'm one to badmouth customers to their faces, I would never do that; the client is usually doing something that anyone with common sense could see is wrong in some way) or "[cue something I already know about online buyers]. You need a thicker skin if you're going to keep doing this".

I. Know. That. My venting about an SC is no different from you venting about your old psycho boss (which mom did at home often). Funny, friends and coworkers understand me just fine.

I'm used to my jokes going over some people's heads (if I think I'll be asked to explain X I just don't say it, I hate explaining jokes), but I'll make an obviously-sarcastic comment about something and if mom's within earshot she will tend to reply as if I'm dead serious. This doesn't happen all the time, so I'm not sure at all what if anything the "trigger" is.
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Wouldn't sarcasm be more along the lines of saying how wonderful your Amazon customers are?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If your therapist doesn't understand how your thoughts work, it might be time for a new therapist.

Comment

Various reactions to the same rants.

My "wonderful" Amazon buyer:

Dad (following the second ranty email--which I did not reply to--after they got a shipping notification from FedEx): "Good lord, it's not going eight states by bike courier. Someone should tell him that transporters don't really exist."

Mom: "[cue something I already know about online buyers/the puzzling way venue-of-choice operates]. You need to be thicker-skinned to keep doing this." What's really puzzling is she knows I've done this for ten years, that only seems to be trotted out with the more outrageous SCs.

Therapist doesn't get to know about the online whackos, she wouldn't know what I'm talking about anyway.

Newest computer client who refuses to give me any of the info I need:

Dad: "I know you want to keep these people as clients, but it's not your job to read his mind. He wants help, he tells you exactly what went wrong and does what's suggested."

Mom: "You've offered to help, but if he hasn't contacted you by now it must not be that important. Unless they've actually put you on retainer you don't really have an obligation to run yourself ragged for one client."

Therapist: "Do you not think it's a bad thing to blame the person who's paying you?" (I'm parsing this as the "you should be happy to have work" speech...I'm a tech, not a babysitter or psychic. He has a responsibility too)
        "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Yeah, your therapist annoys me.

Comment

Working...
          X