Being told I'm in a Bad mood/complainy in-laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being told I'm in a Bad mood/complainy in-laws

My boyfriend keeps doing this. Yes I realize I'm stressed, I'm taking 5 courses right now, all of which require massive amounts of homework, and creative thinking (I'm going for Graphic Design), and yes his mother is here right now, and having company stresses me out too, but I am not always in a bad mood.

Then he keeps saying it over and over until I AM in fact in a bad mood. Yes I'll blow up at him, because he's making me crazy. Today he tells me that I always say that the things he wants to make for dinner etc are gross, or that I don't like them, well that's true, I do tell him I don't like them. He only really likes to make a few different things, I'm sick of the majority of them. I don't tell him in a mean way or anything, I just let him know that I'll eat it but it's not really what I like.

His mom on the other hand, hates everything. Seriously, it's aggravating eating with her, because she complains about everything. EVERYTHING is gross to her, and she'll vocally let anyone around know, yet he says nothing to her. Taking her to dinner is a nightmare, because she complains about every detail. Not to mention the fact that she salts EVERYTHING, heavily, even before tasting it. And complains about the prices of everything, because apparently things should be the same price as they were 20 years ago.

She also goes on about how old she is, she's not, she's like 54, my mom is going to be 59 this year. I'd never consider my mom old. The thing with the BF's mom is that she's a pretty heavy smoker. She was a 2-pack a day smoker for a long time (she's smoking a bit less now), and refuses to quit. Yes I realize it's not easy, but when she's complaining about her breathing every day, and can't taste things properly it's the smoking. She also lives on a small income, and really, when she's complaining about the cost of everything, yet still buying several cartons of smokes a month at close to $100 a pop.

I think I'm just being driven insane by having company, she's been here for 2 weeks, and she's here until Wednesday... While I do like her, We live in a one bedroom apartment, and dammit I like to walk around my house nekkid! *ahem*

What's wrong with you? Having someone who does nothing but complain about everything live with you for two weeks at a stretch makes most people cheerful!
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah, you of all people should know that there's nothing even remotely as important as not-officially-in-law FAMILY!!!1!one!

My suggestion, set someone on fire, that usually get's rid of them/shuts them up.
      All units: IRENE
      HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

My suggestion, set someone on fire, that usually get's rid of them/shuts them up.
        Well...fire, pretty, and...well...okay too much temptation there

Comment

My theory is that anybody who helps make dinner has the right to complain about it. Yes you are busy but if you really don't want to eat what he prepares then why can't you heat up a can of soup or something?

Comment

I do help make dinner, actually I'm usually the one who cooks it despite being busy all the time. Please try to stop assuming things about people's situations when you don't have the correct information.

He also gets all upset that I'm not eating the exact same thing as him when he does make stuff and I decide to make soup or something. Can't win either way.

Comment

I'm confused. You say you make dinner all the time but him making dinner you do not like is a problem. How is he making dinner you do not like when you are making dinner?

Comment

He insists I make certain things, and he does occasionally make dinner, but I'm usually doing something to help (unless he's making KD or something like that). I wouldn't read too much into my rant, because that's exactly what it is. (When I'm stressed I write, either rants or serious writing, this is the former.)

Also, he's picky about eating out when we do, he gets into these moods where he wants to eat at one place all the time, then wonders why I'm sick of it.

Honestly this thing just bugs me because his mom does the same thing he's saying I do, yet not a word from him about it. I realize she's his mother and what have you but it's not less annoying for that.

(also I apologize if this isn't completely making sense, I tend to write here at 2 - 3 am when I'm just finishing several hours worth of homework. If you need clarification just ask.)

Comment

If he has picked up more on it while his mom is there then it's because of his mom.

Most people have this invisible barrier in their minds where they can't stand up to "authority" Thank god I don't. Anyway your not an authority so something that bugs him that his mom does makes he him feel your the safer target to complain too and about.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Anyway your not an authority so something that bugs him that his mom does makes he him feel your the safer target to complain too and about.
                    and here I thought I was in charge .

Seriously though I understand, it doesn't make it any less aggravating.

Comment

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
                      Seriously though I understand, it doesn't make it any less aggravating.
                      OH god believe me I know I could psychoanalyze my own mom until the cows come home but she still drives me nuts sometimes.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Ahh family.

Comment

Working...
                        X