It's the economy stupid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the economy stupid!

I'm so tired of people who like to lay blame on others for not being able to get hired. Now, I haven't been told this directly, but I have seen an attitude toward people who can't get hired, like they are just not trying hard enough. Okay, maybe for some people that could apply, but chances are, it's the job market.

Sometimes you are just unlucky. There are probably 40 other people applying for that same position, so the odds aren't in your favor. Not to mention if you don't have certain experience or qualifications, you are all but SOL. The people who have better experience have an advantage. And before you say "well who's fault is it for not having experience? NYA NYA NYA!!" It's no ones fault because a lot of the time you can't get the experience unless you have the job, and you can't get the job unless you have the experience, so there's a catch 22 limiting your options.

I'm sure there are things you can do to improve your chances of getting a job and making yourself stand out, but for the most part, it's really just luck. What more can you do than fill out the application and hope it get's noticed among several others? To try to lay the blame on someone who's obviously struggling to land a job is not helping anyone, it's just being a judgmental asshole, and nobody likes judgmental assholes (at least I don't).

There are probably 40 other people applying for that same position, so the odds aren't in your favor.
    local costco got 3200 resumes this summer.

I felt better about not finding a job after hearing that.

Comment

Yeah. I've been unemployed for a very, very long time. I've applied to many more than 300 jobs in that time - all jobs that I had the skills and experience to do - and I've gotten a grand total of two interviews. It sucks big time.

Comment

3200?! Holy crap. See, everyone is looking for jobs. Even when there are quite a few offers available, it puts you against thousands of other applicants. In the end, it's all just a crapshoot.

Comment

Working...
        X