Wic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wic

And I don't mean the WIC customers, just to be clear. I mean the way the system is set up with the products and registers. I'm sure this has been done before but I couldn't find a thread for it.

Yesterday I had numerous WIC transactions that ended up with myself or a CSM walking back to the juice isle to get the correct juice, only to find that we didn't seem to have exactly what the check specified. And then there was stuff that should have legitimately gone through, but the register system wouldn't let it. It met all the qualifications on the back of the check, and yet it wouldn't go through. Then there's the whole, if the check says you have to get large eggs, it won't let medium ones go through. Or if it says a 48oz bottle of juice, you can't get one that is 46 oz. It drives me bonkers. I wish they'd just have a store room at the department of health or someplace like that where people could go to get the WIC items instead of creating such a huge hassle for the stores.
    A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Thankfully, we don't have to deal with that at my store, since the checks are processed manually and we only accept them for formula (the register itself will take any WIC check, but the store will not get paid for non-fomula). What bothers me about WIC is that the checks are good all month long, so people stock up on the formula all at once, and if we don't get much due to the warehouse being low (which is a big no-no since the store can get in trouble for not having enough, even if it's not our fault), they leave nothing for the other customers. Sorry, no one needs 14 cans of formula at a time, and it annoys me that the system allows for that.

Comment

Here in Mich we have a card that allows us to get all of our items at once or how ever, they also provide a pamphlet that shows just what you can get. I know stores in my area have the pamphlet so as to help the customers when an Item doesn't match.

But yeah the wic system is an odd duck

I buy all my formula at once since they are little cans and I am always afraid that I will run out. I also like to get all my wic shopping done at once so that I dont have to remember to separate wic and non-wic when I do my regular shopping.
      Last edited by Kimmik; 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: to clarify

Comment

Here most stores put WIC stickers on or next to the price tag for the items that qualify for WIC.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
          Here most stores put WIC stickers on or next to the price tag for the items that qualify for WIC.
          This is true. But my store has just undergone a huge remodel and layout change, and many times we had to print tags on the fly, meaning a lot of stuff got screwed up and lots of stuff doesn't have proper tags and labels yet. I'm not sure what they did with the register/UPC system, but there was no reason these products shouldn't have been approved yesterday, and yet they weren't. It still ticks me off that they can't get something a few ounces less than what the check says as we often run out of the exact size.
          A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
            Sorry, no one needs 14 cans of formula at a time, and it annoys me that the system allows for that.
            We get two different WIC coupons a month for formula, one for 5 cans and one for 4 cans. We pick them up all at once. It is more convenient to get it all at one time because it is a royal pain to realize that you are almost out at 10 at night and have to rush to the store so your baby will have food in the morning. Does it always happen like that? No, but it is good to be prepared. Plus we get the smaller size cans, and with our baby eating 8 oz. almost at every feeding, it only takes a couple days to go through one can. I don't want to have to go to Wal Mart every two days.

My point is that I can understand why someone would pick up all their formula at once. It is no different than if someone came through and bought 14 cans of formula, so I don't really see the issue. The system should account for large quantities purchased and issue an order to the warehouse for more to be sent to the store. I guess it never seemed like an issue when I stocked at Wal Mart. Seems like we were always getting huge shipments of formula every night.
            - Kim

Comment

It seems that the shoppers on public assistance are the ones who are more likely to shop in "bulk", and it makes sense. They get their assistance cheques (or stamps, in the US) once a month, so why not just stock up on the non-perishables in one go?

Another factor is transportation. Those on public assistance probably don't have cars they can hop into for a quick trip. Around here, a local comunity group offers a direct bus from the subsidized housing neighbourhood to the nearest grocery store, but they only do it on the first Saturday of every month. So they stock up when the can, because if they don't, they'll be hauling groceries on foot for the rest of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by LeChatNoir View Post
                The system should account for large quantities purchased and issue an order to the warehouse for more to be sent to the store. I guess it never seemed like an issue when I stocked at Wal Mart. Seems like we were always getting huge shipments of formula every night.
                But that is our problem...our warehouse DOESN'T supply us with enough to keep up with such a demand on a frequent basis (and we're only allowed to order so much extra per delivery, and an order isn't a guarantee we will receive all of what we order) . Just one single person using their month's worth of checks at once can wipe out half or more of our supply for the next several days (we only get 2 deliveries a week, and most stores only get 1). We are NEVER supposed to be out of it, yet we frequently are because of situations like this. We are simply not able to supply enough to keep up with frequent large purchase quantities like that. It's a no-win situation for us, since we have to keep it visible in the case, and if they see it, and the check is valid, we cannot refuse them, thus making rationing this stuff (to be as fair as we can to everyone) extremely difficult. For the record, the other local company stores have the same problem, not just us.

Now, for much bigger stores who do a lot more WIC sales and get more frequent deliveries, your convenience of buying a month's supply at once may not inconvenience anyone else because there is enough to go around (in which case, I have no problem with someone whipping out 4 checks in one go). We were just simply never meant to handle that much, and have to constantly deal with irate people for something that isn't our fault and we have next to no control over.

Comment

We used to run out of formula constantly when I was at Winn Dixie and it drove everyone nuts, employees and customers alike. If you're going to provide the service, you should stay stocked, for goodness's sake.
                  A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Why do I have a feeling that some of the posters are forgetting that the backroom space isn't unlimited?

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                      Why do I have a feeling that some of the posters are forgetting that the backroom space isn't unlimited?

Personally I know that backroom space is limited... having worked at Wally Land. But I still prefer to use all my formula benefits at once because it is a pain in the butt when Squee is low on formula... we only have one car and Hubby works an odd shift... part evenings part over night... and even if we had two cars... do you know what it is like to try to get a hungry /sleepy /and overly pissed 6mo old in a car seat???!!

The only thing I do not buy at once is the milk and eggs... everything else on the day my card renews.. I buy it all.... I try to do as little shopping as possible cause I know the more trips to the store the more likely I will buy shit that I dont need... I also hate shopping with a fiery passion... unless it is for squee... then i tolerate it..

Edit to add... it would be oh so helpful if wic would just allow us to buy the big cans... even if it is a fewer number... they large cans are so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X