Inconsiderate People Talking on the Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsiderate People Talking on the Phone

This is one of my pet peeves. When people start talking loudly on the phone , or when they start a phone call in an area where other people are doing something else.

This always seems to happen in 2 places I have to go every day; on public transport and in my living room at home.

My roommate does this every time I go to watch tv in the living room at our house.
    I only watch in there if there is no-one else watching first, but every time, nearly without fail, my roommate will emerge from her room and decide to watch tv with me. I don't mind this, but then she sees nothing wrong with pulling out her phone to ring someone and having an hour long chat with them. If that doesn't happen, someone she knows always seems to ring her to chat. Not once has she taken the call back to her room, no, instead she slumps onto the couch and starts chattering away.
    I try to glare at her, gesture to the tv, or turn the volume on the tv up, but apparently that just makes me a dick, so she just talks louder.
    Grr!

The second place is on every bus or train I have to take each day. There always seems to be someone chattering away. I have no desire to know your days plan, or to hear about how hot that person in the coffee shop was.

I hate them!

I always thought it was common sense to take a phonecall into another room so you won't disturb anyone, and if I have to take a call on buses or trains I kept it no longer than 1 minute, or I told them I'd call them back.

Is it just me?
    "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
    Josh Thomas

I understand the tv situation, but for calls on the bus, how is it worse then talking to another person on the bus?

Comment

It's worse cuz people who are chatting on the bus tend not to bellow loudly at each other. I notice that a lot of people who talk on phones on the bus are shouting into the phone; why, I can't imagine. Maybe a bad line? Also, a lot of people seem to think that if they are talking on a mobile, they are covered by a magical forcefield that enables them to discuss things that they'd never discuss face to face. Once on the tube, this woman spent the entire journey discussing her genital warts with someone. TMI, anyone?
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

See I never notice a volume shift. I have literally seen people talking to another person and no one even glances sideways. The person got a phone call answered it and spoke at the same volume they had been but suddenly half the bus is glaring daggars at them.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

The ones I really have any problems with are the people who talk loudly in a phone when on a bus or train. I tend to had my Ipod in when I'm commuting (because randoms seem to be drawn to me, particularly old skeezy men). My music is loud enough to drown out the normal drone of voices. If I can hear your phone conversation over my music, particularly if you're several seats away then you are a loud talking jackass. It just seems in my experience that people talk louder when they're on the phone as opposed to when they're talking to people sitting next to them (unless of course they're stereotypical* teenagers - you don't have to scream at each other!).

-I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my OP. I wrote that after giving up watching tv and retreating to my room because of my roommate and her stupid bloody phone. Anger makes people less concise.

Originally posted by jackfaire
          See I never notice a volume shift. I have literally seen people talking to another person and no one even glances sideways. The person got a phone call answered it and spoke at the same volume they had been but suddenly half the bus is glaring daggers at them.
          Huh. Umm, was it everyone or just the person they were originally talking to? Coz it's rude to dismiss someone for a phone-call unless it's really important. And it can depend on the age of the annoyed people. The older generation might feel it's uncouth because phone-calls are meant to be private, but the person was answering one in the middle of a crowd. Maybe?

I loath to answer phone-calls on public transport because everyone can hear what I'm saying, and also because it gives away my accent to a group of strangers. That seems to be the invitation they need to start talking to me about either my home country, hit on me, or complain loudly about the influx of foreigners into their country.

*just the sort of teenager that doesn't seem to have any sort of brain to mouth filter or volume control.
          "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
          Josh Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
            Huh. Umm, was it everyone or just the person they were originally talking to?
            It was pretty much everyone but the person he had been talking to. The friend he had been talking to seemed to understand my guess is the call was about meeting up with other friends or something I didn't pay much attention.

Not the only time I see this either I get glared at just for pulling out my phone I don't have to even start talking on it. Which is funny when I start texting.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

Working...
            X