"Pun" threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pun" threads

Yeah, they might be a bit fun...the first couple of times...but if I was posting something seriously trying to vent about my job, it would really piss me off immensely if all I got in response was nothing but a bunch of rather corny puns.

I know no harm is meant by it, but I really find it annoying.

Maybe I'm the only one. I don't know.

*BTW...I am not posting this as a mod, and my own personal opinion is not necessarily that of CS management.
    Last edited by Ree; 06-04-2010, 03:21 AM.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

I think it's become a staple of CS.com. I don't think any of my threads were ever pun-jacked, but it's a rather common occurrence. Sort of a caveat of posting on CS, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
      Maybe I'm the only one. I don't know.
      You're not. Puns and jokes are fun, but when it takes over the conversation, or even worse, are the only replies, it's a waste of posts. What bugs me is when people find small details or spelling errors to poke fun of, causing the rest of the thread to be taken over by stupid puns. It's frusturating and disappointing to share an idea or topic only to have people intentionally miss the point.

Comment

There is nothing stopping people from making "legitimate" posts in amongst the puns, if there are any to be made; lots of threads have few or no replies of any kind anyway.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't see the big deal, people are just trying to have a little pun.

Comment

I think that some people post a pun or two in hopes it make you laugh, and make the event that made you angry at work a little less sucky.

That being said, when it's all puns, it does get annoying.

And I hate it when people post and post about a spelling or grammer error. Like I'm the biggest idiot in the world. I tend to think alot faster then I type, and well, it shows. Alot.
            Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
            I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              There is nothing stopping people from making "legitimate" posts in amongst the puns
              True.
              In the case of the thread that caused me to make this post, though, someone actually almost apologized for making an on topic post. I suspect they were worried about ruining the fun.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              lots of threads have few or no replies of any kind anyway
              And the puns tangents almost guarantee that there won't be any, either.

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              Puns and jokes are fun, but when it takes over the conversation, or even worse, are the only replies, it's a waste of posts.
              Right.

Like I say, it's cute the first couple of times, but it starts to grate a bit after a while.
              Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Idk, maybe you could post a Mod warning after the first few that further puns would be considered post-padding. Seems kinda harsh to me, but if the Mod team thinks it's that big a deal...

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                  Seems kinda harsh to me, but if the Mod team thinks it's that big a deal...
                  Ummm...you obviously missed my comment in the OP that I am speaking for myself, and NOT as a mod, and that my opinion is not necessarily that of the mod team.

As has been mentioned numerous times, this is a venting forum, and I am venting about something that bugs me, personally.
                  Point to Ponder:

Comment

On a related note, I've had to stop mentioning what product I sell in my stories. Now I just replace "wine" with "[product]". Otherwise, every single thread I start will end up as a discussion about wine instead of my customer. There are a few people who consider themselves wine "experts" and hijack my every thread.

But at least there's some substance to that sort of discussion. A long-string of puns isn't just a hijack, it's irritating. And I don't think I've ever seen a thread get back on course after it happens.

And apparently a disclaimer is needed: This is my PERSONAL opinion, not my MOD opinion.

Comment

Ummm...you obviously missed my comment in the OP that I am speaking for myself, and NOT as a mod, and that my opinion is not necessarily that of the mod team.

As has been mentioned numerous times, this is a venting forum, and I am venting about something that bugs me, personally.
                      No, I'm sorry, but you've misunderstood me as well. What I meant was, maybe you should bring it up with the other Mods and see what they think as well. I mean, as I read the rules on here and CS.com, it could constitute post-padding. Therefore, I'm merely suggesting that, as Mods (and as members) you discuss it and it's applications to the rules.

Comment

I must agree with the majority here. It's really freaking annoying. Not just puns, but especially when someone takes a venting thread or very serious thread about work and it gets turned into page after page of just....dork shit. That's all I can really call it. A few of my threads (not so much lately, thank goodness) in the past have turned into several pages of just off topic dorky crap that I have no idea why someone even turned it into that or what even gave them the idea in the first place.

It's one thing to make an off topic reply, it's one thing to be really clever and funny and try to lighten the mood, it's another thing totally to do it to nearly everyone's threads, and it's even worse when others join in.

Comment

And the puns tangents almost guarantee that there won't be any, either.
                          Exactly. I usually check out the first few replies to see if there is a conversation worth joining and if it's just a bunch of pun jokes, I'm not wasting my time.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

It bugs me, too. Almost as bad as when I post a venting post, and people home in on one comment I make in the thread and start nitpicking; makes it look as tho they didn't even bother to read the rest of it. -.- Happened to the last but one thread I made in Sucky Customers; I'm not saying people shouldn't reply, but if all you're going to do is nitpick, then don't bother.

The pages of puns seriously put me off replying to threads. It makes me feel as tho my post is just going to drop without a trace and be ignored, or if I make an effort to bring the topic back to the OP's topic, I'm going to look like a killjoy. -.- So I don't reply.
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Yeah, I second this..or third, or fourth it, whatever.
                              It gets annoying when all the replies turn into puns or whatever, especially if the OP was something interesting, that I would like to see more discussion of.

Comment

Working...
                              X