No lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No lunch

So we had a period of downtime today at work for about half an hour. It's frequent - sometimes a machine breaks, sometimes the delivery of fish is late. Today it was the late delivery.

We go back to work, then it comes to lunch time...and the bosses are like "No no, its not lunch time, this is just a 15 minute break. Lunch time was this morning."

First of all - it's stupid to expect people to take their lunch break before ten in the morning. That's just wrong. Second, NO ONE TOLD US IT WAS OUR LUNCH BREAK! Sure, we sat around and did nothing for half an hour, but that's the company's problem. Not mine. They can't schedule their deliveries right, don't punish us for it. And if they are gonna punish us for it, at least TELL US FIRST SO WE CAN PREPARE OUR FOOD AND DEAL WITH OUR LUNCH STUFF!!!!!

Maybe if the production manager wasn't so busy jacking an 80 into his arm we wouldn't be having these stupid mickey mouse problems.

I have encountered that too! I did data entry in a bank awhile ago, and every once in awhile there would be downtime if there was a problem with the system. So sometimes it would happen pretty early in the shift, like an hour or two in...and they'd tell us to just go and take our lunch then. Which SUCKED because usually people eat on a schedule, and who wants to take their lunch that early? And then not have anything to break up the rest of the loooong shift.

So yeah...I feel you on that one. It's ridiculous.

Comment

My work area has gotten so bad about breaks lately because of all the machine issues and problems keeping product moving that some people have eventually lost their cool and just went on break leaving their machine idle. Of course, when they get back, they get torn a new one.

Company policy is that we are entitled to a break every 2 hours. No one is going to skip their break just because we are behind or there aren't enough people to cover machines.

No one cares if they have to wait an extra 5-10 even 15 minutes for their breaks but this is starting to get ridiculous.

Comment

That's illegal - especially if they required you to act like you're on duty.

It's not your fault the delivery was late.

Comment

Well, we're not required to be working when things are down - although some of us do to keep up with the work. But it's not consistent or made known if its considered a break or not.

If it was considered our lunch break every time, I could handle it. If it was not considered our lunch break every time, I could handle it. Or, if one of the supervisers would just poke his head into the room and go "EVERYONE GO ON BREAK! THIS IS YOUR LUNCH!"

Yeah, I could go hunt down the supervisor and ask, but that's hard. I never know where they are, and quite frankly they all seem rather unapproachable because they're so busy. Just saying good morning will get you dirty looks for daring to encroach upon their superiority.

And they don't always even know. One guy will say its lunch, another says its not, another says we'll be back up and running in 10 minutes, another has no idea.

So you might eat your lunch at 9:30, and then that sucks because who wants lunch at 9:30? Or you skip it and wait until noon, only to find out that lunch was at 9:30 and you don't have time for lunch now.

Yesterday the truck was extremely late - so late that I thought I might have time to run into town and get something to eat. I asked the boss, and he goes "Oh, i have no idea where the truck is, but it'll be here any minute."

One hour and ten minutes later, the truck pulled in. I think it's bullshit he didn't know where it was. He can easily find out when it left the warehouse, and from there it's a simple matter of math. You won't know exactly, but it'll be a good guess. i.e. the truck left the warehouse one hour ago, it's a 100 mile trip, figuring in traffic and road conditions he's averaging about 50 mph, ergo vis a vis he'll be here in about another hour. Sure, go get yourself some lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
            One hour and ten minutes later, the truck pulled in. I think it's bullshit he didn't know where it was. He can easily find out when it left the warehouse, and from there it's a simple matter of math. You won't know exactly, but it'll be a good guess. i.e. the truck left the warehouse one hour ago, it's a 100 mile trip, figuring in traffic and road conditions he's averaging about 50 mph, ergo vis a vis he'll be here in about another hour. Sure, go get yourself some lunch.
            But you want him to work oh my god
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

Working...
            X