My life right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My life right now

I just need to vent and this is about unemployment so I felt I should put it here. Besides, I can access this page but not CS at work.

I know things will get better, eventually, but right now my life kinda sucks. Yes, it could be worse, alot worse. At least I still have a roof over my head and food on the table. But in a week and a half I will lose my job. I have to apply for unemployment, but there is a possibility that I may not get it. In NJ, if you work in any capacity in the education system you have special rules that apply to you for unemployment. They have to contact your HR department to find out if you are going to be returning to work in September or not. This is were my issue comes in.

I am being laid off, but I've been placed on a recall list due to my reaching tenure, but I'm at the bottom of that list. Now, I may be called back before September, which would then disqualify my for benefits. If my HR dept tells them that there is a possibility of me being called back, I may not receive benefits, which would then mean that I will not have the second income that my husband and I need to survive.

We are already struggling as it is with trying to make sure that everything is paid on time. With rent, cell phone, cable, net, credit repayment program, student loans, groceries, and gas for the car we end up with only a few dollars left in our bank account every two weeks. I am just so sick of getting calls/letters about missed payments on different things. I'm worried that I may not get my unemployment or if I do it will not be enough to get through.

I've been applying to every job that I can and I am always met with "we have filled this position" or "we are pursuing other candidates". I am so sick of all of this. My husband keeps telling me that we will make it through this, but I'm still worried. I know I'm not the only one in this situation and that there are others in worse positions. I just wish that I could go back to when I was able to pay everything on time, only had a few credit cards, and lived with mom and dad and didn't pay rent.

We can't move in with anyone because of space available. We have bare-boned most of our expences, such as getting rid of everything but very basic cable and not purchasing any video games, books, or movies. We clip coupons and shop sales for the essentials. And we don't eat out at all anymore. But we are still unable to make ends meet. I'm feeling pretty down today because of all of this. I mean, here I sit at work knowing that after I use my last sick days (I lose them if I don't) I only have 9 days left. I am depressed over this.

I just needed to get this off of my chest to someone who doesn't know my situation. Those who do have just told me that it's how it is out there and that it will one day get better. I don't want to hear that anymore because it is not going to get better fast enough for me. I want to have a job as soon as I leave this one. I know that it won't happen that way, but I have to wish and hold on to the possibility that it really won't be as bad as I think it will. To those of you on here who have experienced or are going through this too, how did you cope? What changes did you make to your lifestyle to keep the bills paid? If anyone else has any helpful hints, please share. I am just so worried and really bummed out by all of this.

A few suggestions:

- Work with your student loan companies - see if you can get a deferrment due to your financial hardships.

- Make a job for yourself. You mentioned that you work in the education field. If you're a teacher - look into tutoring. If you're in administrative, look into being a "virtual assisstant" (you're someone's assisstant buy work from home - hopefully you have internet at home).

You didn't mention a home phone - I'm assuming you just have your cel phone then?

I haven't seen my nepher since he was an infant and he's turning 3 next week since we can't afford the tickets to fly up north. My wife and I haven't made as much as a day trip in a few years (we used to have annual passes to Sea World but even stopped those). We've cut down our expences, I even call Comcast every few months to see if they have any non-contract promotions that would lower my bill.

We've also been (unsuccessfully) trying to get our mortgage company to work with us (so why did they take a $25 billion bailout then?). Thank god our cars are paid off but my wife still doesn't have a job and her dog training / pet sitting barely helps us make our payments.
    Last edited by draggar; 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM.

Comment

You have every right to feel the way you do, and yes, it gets very old to hear "There there, things will get better" and "Aww there there, you'll be ok!"

Just do the best you can and do your best to stay positive, is the only advice I can offer. There is truth that yes, things will get better, but that doesn't mean you can't be upset about it not happening quickly enough. It sucks to get laid off. It's one of the worst things in the world to worry about money.

Comment

I'm doing a lot of the same things mentioned on here. I have a credit repayment plan, I call comcast every few months or so to lower my bill, try to keep the electricity use to a minimum. I bundle my comcast stuff so I get the most savings.

You can try going to a dollar tree store if you have one.....It's the only place I get toothpaste, body wash, cleaners etc. now. Try farmer's markets for produce. If you have a grocery outlet kind of store go shopping there. If you are driving, take the bus instead.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X