Lack of sentence structure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of sentence structure.

Ellipses are not an appropriate way to end a sentence and begin another.

Example:

i was driving down the street yesterday...i got cut off by a van....the driver didn't signal....i must be so wound up about it i can't find my "shift" key....and i've no time to end a sentence properly.....

Using full stops and capitalizing the first letter in a sentence is a courtesy to the reader. I think it's rude when someone refuses to slow down a bit when typing out their posts to do it properly.

I'm not a grammar nazi. I only ask that posts are readable. This habit bothers me in particular because it doesn't reflect ignorance so much as laziness.

My personal peeve is people who post by stealing the Great Wall Of China; ie, posting a giant block of text with zero paragraphing.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
      My personal peeve is people who post by stealing the Great Wall Of China; ie, posting a giant block of text with zero paragraphing.
      .. and if you mention it they edit the post with breaks at completely random places.

Comment

I generally use ellipses when I am trying to illustrate my thought process, because it flows more like a run-on sentence than being grammatically perfect. For example.

The other day I met a customer that was rude.

The other day I met a customer that was being a bit pissy. S/he said I was doing it wrong...so I was like...why do I care? But then her jerk brother butted in...that's a ray of freakin' sunshine...le sigh. People suck.

One is me just describing an event, the other one is still a description but I add my own inner monologue and how I think. Hence, I use ellipses because, even though my mother's an English teacher, my inner voice still doesn't use correct grammar all the time.

Comment

Oh I must drive you nuts then. I tend to do the ... thing when I am thinking, sorry I know it can annoy people. As for capitalization I have to go back and edit my post half the time because sometimes my fingers dont want to hit the buttons I tell them to, or I am using my on screen keyboard, it is worst when I have a migraine because then my brain sends the wrong word.

I am not normally to finicky on peoples writing as I have a lot of patience the only thing I have trouble with is sometimes trying to read blocks of text... but then I normally will highlight random sentences so that it is easier for me to read. Anyways I will make an effort not to use my pause button (...) so that it is less frustrating.

Oh Lace... I totally agree with the wall of words, nothing is worse then tring to read a gaming forum and you are critted by a wall of text and net speak in one.

Comment

I try to do my best, but my laptop is way overdue for a good cleaning. Sometimes I don't even realize but I didn't capitalize something or I typed a few words missing the first letter.....damn crumbs stuck in here.

Comment

Point of order, isn't good grammar part of the site rules?

Comment

Working...
              X