non-employees using the office as their contact info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-employees using the office as their contact info

*partially inspired by an incident involving the church's official e-mail yesterday*

One of my occasionally peeves about being the church secretary is when church members use the office phone/fax number or e-mail address as contact info, and they do NOT let me know about it beforehand. It's always on behalf of committee work, which is fine, except that I feel these people shouldn't just assume that it's ok to use the office as their contact and that I'll know what to do with info that comes in for them. The following are a few examples of why this irritates me:

- one of our members got sent to a collection agency, and it got into their files that we were listed as his employer, so we were getting the calls. I had to Google the number to find out which agency it was, and call the guy myself to confirm that it was legit, and I had to be the one to explain to the phone rep (the next time they called) that the guy did NOT work here.

- yesterday, we received two messages in the church's email from the gas company and the city traffic signals department regarding some "permission to dig" request. The way the messages were worded sounded like SPAM, but apparently they are legit, the committee member who had initiated the said requests just hadn't bothered to ask if it was ok to use the church's email as her contact.

Anyhow, so I'm putting a small blurb in the upcoming edition of the church newsletter, asking that if people are going to use the church office as their contact info for something, they need to let me know about it.
Working...
X