YouTube censorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube censorship

It is really annoying when there is some good (old) music videos on YouTube but then the record companies come in and force the videos to be deleted.

No, I'm not talking about new releases where you might see the video on MTV (If they still play videos anymore), I'm talking old songs. For example, two that are notorious for getting killed quickly is the Talking Head's "Road to Nowhere" and "Wild Wild Life". You don't see these videos on TV anymore, I just checked Amazon.com and there isn't a "Talking Heads video collection" (all the DVDs are live concerts) and I don't see where the record companies will let me watch the videos.

So, you're just collecting royalties on old album (CD / digital downloads), and DVD (concert) sales but just sitting on these videos not allowing anyone to view them?

They do realize that if, even if they post these videos on YouTube themselves that it could spark interest in the band and possibly sell more albums (let's not start on illegal downloads)?

I don't know why but it does seem that they're the most aggressive with this with the Talking Heads. Pink Floyd videos stay around and the same with Queen and a few others.

Just about all my amvs are flagged, one has been deleted. Youtube used to be fun...it's why I don't make any anymore.

Comment

I hear you. At least one of my bookmarks vanishes every few months (I've started using a file conversion program to rip anything cool to my hard drive because I'm not sure if it'll be there in a month).

BBC and Sony/Columbia are two of the worst. There used to be some interesting older Doctor Who stuff (including some pretty cool theme remixes), but all the bookmarks I have for it are no more.

Sony's forced Youtube to take down a lot of fan-made Ghostbusters tributes, which I find ridiculous. All credit is given where it needs to be, so why are they up in arms about fans doing what fans do?
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Amen on this! Fox also loves to do this with their 24 fan videos. Like most fan videos, a lot of them are just random clips with some crappy music thrown in, but there were some really good ones that showed some real talent from the creator. Then fox comes along and demands youtube take them down and they do. Even if some people reupload them on their channel, the creator is still banned from making any more.

I could unfortunately understand why they would delete full movie uploads, but when it's just random clips and music, why take it away? Why be such spoil sports about videos showing appreciation toward their creation? It's just another instance of big corporations trying to show who'se boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
          (I've started using a file conversion program to rip anything cool to my hard drive because I'm not sure if it'll be there in a month).
          Is it a FF plugin or just send me a PM.

Comment

Oh man, I hate that. I have been ripping them to the harddrive. Just about every song that I have bookmarked, is gone. I think I have maybe 6 left out of hundreds

Comment

I understand *why* they do it, but really, if they don't want anyone else putting up content they own then they need to make it available themselves.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Dreamstalker, how are you doing that? Send me a PM, I'm curious.

Comment

I use a program called masstube to get youtube stuff for that same reason. It always trips my anti-spyware stuff, but I've yet to see it do any real harm to my computer.

I think I read somewhere that with copyright stuff, you have to defend it rigorously or you lose the right to bitch. Like if you let youtube post a video you own, then you can't complain if someone else does it too. Or something along those lines.

I'm probably wrong.

I hate in general how people feel the need to protect their trash. There's lots of older video games that simply are not for sale or even in print anymore, yet the abandonware sites that carry them are repeatedly being shut down. Even taking it down a notch - you're at like a store and they're tossing some food out that is still perfectly fine to eat, but no no no no, they might lose money if someone eats something that's gonna be thrown away anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                    you're at like a store and they're tossing some food out that is still perfectly fine to eat, but no no no no, they might lose money if someone eats something that's gonna be thrown away anyway!
                    That one actually makes sense they would have to hire a lawyer and hammer out a liabitilly waiver for people to sign so that no one can come back and sue them.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Yeah but that's just a lame excuse. It wouldn't be that hard for it to just be "We didn't SELL it to you, therefore you have no right to complain." I know there's laws and blah blah blah...again its all just aimed at the same bullshit.

Comment

With that example, all someone has to do is say "I got this [food] at [store] and got food poisoning!!111eleventy" and the media does the rest. No distinction is made whether the person actually paid for it. Most grocery stores will refund if you buy something that goes bad before it's supposed to.
                        "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
                          With that example, all someone has to do is say "I got this [food] at [store] and got food poisoning!!111eleventy" and the media does the rest. No distinction is made whether the person actually paid for it. .
                          You don't have to pay for it which is why so many grocery stores throw out perfectly good food as opposed to giving it to a charity / soup kitchen - the liability reasons.

Comment

I think I read somewhere that with copyright stuff, you have to defend it rigorously or you lose the right to bitch. Like if you let youtube post a video you own, then you can't complain if someone else does it too. Or something along those lines.
                            That's true only for trademarks, not copyrights.

The trouble with parodies and so forth is not just that companies ask them to be pulled, but that Youtube rolls over and does it regardless of the claim's merit. Again, I understand *why* they do so, but it still s[tin]ks.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The supermarket where I used to work gives all stale bread products to a llama farm. At least it means something is eating it and it's not just thrown away.

As for youtube, I'm generally using it to watch game play, funny clips and odd bits and pieces. If I want to watch something like a parody, or a cleverly put together mini cartoon, I head for Newgrounds. If I want to watch music videos, I go to Dailymotion. If I want to watch anime, Veoh is quite good for that, as is Google.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X