Tech rant: those Finallyfast or SpeedupMyPC sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech rant: those Finallyfast or SpeedupMyPC sites

When are people going to realize these are fronts for rogue antivirus programs?

To make matters worse, the program in question (Cyberdefender) has shills go on places like Cnet (shame on them for making the program available for download) and post bogus reviews.
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

You know how when people walk into a store and they see FREE and immediately are rendered mentally helpless, able only to gravitate toward the sign and gibber and grope about until given something? Same principle on websites.

Comment

I clean my computers about 2-3 times aweek. I use CCLeaner & Zappit. Both of which actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
        When are people going to realize these are fronts for rogue antivirus programs?

To make matters worse, the program in question (Cyberdefender) has shills go on places like Cnet (shame on them for making the program available for download) and post bogus reviews.
        God and Goddess! If I had a nickle for every time I've had to clean a computer in this hospital when someone clicks on one of those...I'd be able to buy the gorram hospital.

Originally posted by powerboy View Post
        I clean my computers about 2-3 times aweek. I use CCLeaner & Zappit. Both of which actually works.
        CCleaner is great for the registry, but I've noticed that it only cleans up the temp files for the actively logged in account. IF you only have one person and one account this isn't a problem. You might want to add CleanUP to your regimen. IT's amazing how many files you can accumulate.
        “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Ugh...I'm seriously considering charging extra if what I have to clean up is traced back to one of those ads/sites.

What happened to people doing research on their own with this stuff? I know, I know...a lot of users rely on their computers/TVs to do their thinking for them and haven't grasped that not everything you read online/see on television is true.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
            haven't grasped that not everything you read online/see on television is true.
            roflmao that this is being read online.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
              roflmao that this is being read online.
              well it was said NOT EVERYTHING, instead of NOTHING, so there is the chance it is true. I also hate fixing peoples computers, actually my method is to backup important files and reformat or use the built in recovery because I'm to lazy to overcome someone's stupidity

Comment

My tendency is to nuke and pave as well. A few of the clients I had back when I decided it would be a nice idea to put up fliers around town were like people on the show Hoarders: as long as I'm there doing the work it's fine, a month later it's back to the same old unholy mess if not worse.

Usually caused by "this program I saw somewhere on a popup ad that would clean my computer for free" *expectant stare*...I'm not cleaning this up for free.
                "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

The commercials for CleanPC and similar sites like that seem so scammy to me.
                  There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I see the "Finally Fast" commercials and think the same thing: they're scams.

I run Webroot anti-virus/anti-spyware every night after I get offline, sometimes once or twice while I'm online, and it's done great so far. Hell, it's better then Trend was ( so many things wrong with Trend ).

Comment

Originally posted by Android Kaeli View Post
                      I run Webroot anti-virus/anti-spyware every night after I get offline,
                      REPRESENT!!! That's what I use too. It is definitely a good program one of the best I have ever used.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

But..but... They have TV commercials! How can a virus have a TV commercial?

Radithor (radium-infused water) had expensive ad campaigns and endorsements by doctors across the country. It was billed as quite healthful. But steel magnate Eben Byers drank 1400+ bottles, and his jaw had to be removed.

I'm not even super-computer-savvy and I figured these things were crap. 'Course, randomly catching one and having to wipe my drive (it locked everything, and I do mean everything, "for my safety") added to my opinions.

Comment

Working...
                        X