Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not a big baby for wanting get my 6-8 hours of sleep....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a big baby for wanting get my 6-8 hours of sleep....

Lately, there was a concert announced that I really wanted to see. I was all set to get the tickets.... until I saw it was on a work night. I could have used a vacation day to take off that day, but I wouldn't have racked up enough hours to take off the day after.

Because of this, if I would have went I would have only have gotten maybe 5 hours of sleep if that only to have to work a 12 hour shift. Not worth it.

I told this to my co-worker and he goes, "Oh poor baby. It's one day! Then you'll have 3 regular days off to rest."

I get that a lot, sadly. People will say I'm going to miss out on a lot of things just because I "want to get my precious 6-8 hours."

I told them I'm a wreck on anything less than 6 hours. Case in point: When I was working at The 'Shack I knew I had the following day off so I decided to do something which required staying up late (don't remember, this was over 5 years ago). The next morning when I had to go to work, I got into my car and I was so out of it from not enough sleep that I took the sun shade I had and put it on my windshield and proceed to start driving off with it! The only reason I noticed is because I had my window down and my mom yelled, "What the hell are you doing?!" I'm very lucky I got to work alive that day.

People need to understand that I would rather not do something than do it and pay the price when I'm walking around like a zombie and ready to fall asleep at my desk.
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Its kind of odd to be that out of it after not sleeping much one night. Maybe you should practive getting less sleep so you can function normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
      Its kind of odd to be that out of it after not sleeping much one night. Maybe you should practive getting less sleep so you can function normally.
      6-8 hours of sleep is normal. HEMI, don't have a heart attack, but I am absolutely with you on this. If I don't get 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I am a cranky she-bitch. I don't generally drink coffee, and I don't want to "need" caffeine to start my day.

I nearly left a Dresden Dolls concert early because I had to work the next day. Well, I was already really annoyed with having to sit through four opening acts, each with 20 minute changeovers. Then the Dolls played, and at least half of their set was covers. I got there at 5:30. The first act started at 6. The Dolls didn't start until nearly 10:00, and played until 1:30.

My SO can't get this either. He goes to bed at 12, gets up at 6, works, then goes home and naps. I can't take naps. If I'm getting up at 7, I want to be in bed by 11. And he'll call me and keep me on the phone until nearly midnight. I mean, I love him and all, but I need some sleep.

Comment

Considering 8 hours of sleep is generally recommended, I don't see why people should give other people crap if they have a hard time functioning without it.
        Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Even if you could do OK on a short night now and then, so long as you get a longer one the next day, you really can't guarantee you *will* get it. If proper rest and being alert and all the next day is worth missing a concert or whatever TO YOU, then it's nobody else's business.

(I function very well when I've only had a couple hours sleep.... for about half a day, then I fall apart completely and am messed up for days, including not being able to stay asleep. Definitely something to avoid.)
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            6-8 hours of sleep is normal. HEMI, don't have a heart attack, but I am absolutely with you on this. If I don't get 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I am a cranky she-bitch. I don't generally drink coffee, and I don't want to "need" caffeine to start my day.

I nearly left a Dresden Dolls concert early because I had to work the next day. Well, I was already really annoyed with having to sit through four opening acts, each with 20 minute changeovers. Then the Dolls played, and at least half of their set was covers. I got there at 5:30. The first act started at 6. The Dolls didn't start until nearly 10:00, and played until 1:30.

My SO can't get this either. He goes to bed at 12, gets up at 6, works, then goes home and naps. I can't take naps. If I'm getting up at 7, I want to be in bed by 11. And he'll call me and keep me on the phone until nearly midnight. I mean, I love him and all, but I need some sleep.
            Four opening acts? When I hear that it usually means the main band doesn't have enough original material to play a full set.

You're right though, besides being out of it it's easier than normal for me to snap at people when I don't get enough sleep.

BTW maybe it's a good thing that I didn't get tickets to that concert - I found out that Santana is playing in August on the first of my regular days off.
            AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

Argh.

I suck if I don't get enough sleep. I always try for 8 hours every night, but circumstances don't always allow for it (stupid 19 year old roommate who parties every night!).
              If I don't get enough sleep, then I'm useless at work, and a lot of the time I'm asked whether I'm stoned (I apparently looked stoned when tired). But I'm lucky coz I can do the whole 'Nana Nap' thing. Great way to get energized after work, but still leave you able to get to sleep that night.

One thing I've worked out though is that if I know I'm not able to sleep a good enough amount of time, then I can force myself to just sleep 4 hours. That way it feels like a Nana Nap for me. If I sleep any more than that, then I wake up exhausted.

But yeah. 8 hours of sleep a night is what I aim for. Pretty sure that's a lot healthier for you than random and short bouts of sleep.
              "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
              Josh Thomas

Comment

I can't figure out how much asleep is enough sleep no matter how much or how little I seem to be tired.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

I hate doing anything that involves severely paying for it the next day. "Oh why don't you want to go out tonight?"

Because I don't want to wake up with the baby at 6 a.m. with a severe fucking hangover and be puking and shitting all day while trying to take care of her! Gee whiz - 3 hours of fun on Friday = 14 hours of excruciating agony on Saturday. HMMMM...LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT. How about...NO.

Comment

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
                    Four opening acts? When I hear that it usually means the main band doesn't have enough original material to play a full set.

You're right though, besides being out of it it's easier than normal for me to snap at people when I don't get enough sleep.

BTW maybe it's a good thing that I didn't get tickets to that concert - I found out that Santana is playing in August on the first of my regular days off.

Depends on if its advertised as one band's concert or if they are playing at a musical festival. I've been to shows that last 7 or 8 hours.

Comment

Maybe it's cause I just got done with my undergrad, but I don't seem to have any problems functioning on only a few hours of sleep. I can go a week just getting 5-6 hours of sleep at most and still be functional the next day. Tired, but completely functional. And no, I don't drink coffee. That junk is gross.
                      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        And no, I don't drink coffee. That junk is gross.
                        Amen my brother.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

I firmly believe nothing is better then free coffee, except maybe a free t-shirt

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
                            I firmly believe nothing is better then free coffee, except maybe a free t-shirt
                            Either you don't drink or aren't 21 yet because free beer at the bar trumps everything else.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

free beer at the bar trumps everything else.
                              Unless you don't drink beer, in which case free chocolate trumps all.

As for the sleeping thing, I don't think you sound like a baby, a lot of people absolutely need a certain amount of sleep. Just because other people can get by on less doesn't mean you have to or should. I know if I don't get enough sleep over a period of time I get migraines and I am basically out of commission for a day or so, I figure it's my body's way of saying "slow the eff down already".

Though design school tends to have me up at all hours of the night. But so long as I can sleep in the next day I'm fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X