Job References

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job References

I didn't want to threadjack so I made my own.

I laugh when people want to use me as a reference when applying for random jobs. I mean it is one thing if your going for the co-op I used to have and want them to contact me, but as far as random employers, one I'm not established and two I don't know you that well there has to be at least a few family friends you can use.

From management leaving apps out in open in office I have noticed some things. I really wish people would realize using a family member as a reference is a bad idea when randomly applying unless they also work at that company, in which case they usually have a spot for that to be covered and clearly ask for a reference that isn't a family member. Another thing, for occupation "Unemployed" is never smart choice to list, things like Retired (if true) or Former [occupation] or Former Student (for no work history) are much better choices, or better yet get someone who actually has a job. Especially if it is a local company try and find someone you know that works there and will be WILLING to give you a good reference.

From my own personal expereince, I really need to get back in touch with some of my profs since it been a year and I'm still looking, well starting to look harder I havn't bene doing much in way of interviews but it always good to make sure you have people that can say good things about you. Former Coworkers who liked you and are actually allowed to give a reference according to company policy nice too.

edit:
    Guess I should mention I really don't know shit about job searching but the stuff I pointed out seems pretty basic, most people can't fucking read a job app to safe their life, and I don't mean a mistake here or there I see them ALL over the app. IE, checking every box when it clearly states ONLY ONE

I've actually seen some applications where under reference, it says "Please do not list friends, family or former employers."

Who the fuck are you supposed to list? Complete strangers?

"Yeah, I met that guy on the subway last week. I offered him a handy j for some crack money but he said no. I bet he's a good guy."

Comment

That leaves coworkers and professors if you have been to college but even then many of them either don't know you that well or aren't willing. SO if you have never had many jobs or work places where the people aren't allowed to talk about you, your kind of screwed, which is my point.

Comment

My last retail reference wouldn't hesitate to call me "unhireable"...and he told my job coach exactly what he would tell anyone else, that I wasn't suited for retail (which is BS).

As a freelancer right now who does work through word of mouth only (so people know they can trust me and I don't end up in the home of a nutjob) I have a small handful of references who I don't consider "friends", but a lot of them I do.

I'm de facto tech support for my dad's consulting biz in that if anything goes wrong with his computers that he can't fix he calls me. So there's also a bit of a business relationship there (albeit unpaid). Our last name is odd enough that anyone reading the application would know in an instant he's family so I don't use him on formal applications.
        "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I've used the following three things as references in previous jobs:

1) My next-door neighbour (she's known me since I was about 3)
          2) The cash office manager from my previous job (formerly my 3IC)
          3) My school's Student Achievement Record. This is a piece of paper that all schools in my state provide when a Year 12 student has finished their schooling. Basically any three teachers the students have used either over the year, or for at least three years of their schooling career, can write up their SAR. The student picks two of the teachers and the student's homegroup teacher is the third one. (I chose my music teacher, which fit both criteria and my Social Studies teacher, who i'd also had the previous year for a class) It basically talks about the student's personality, psychological profile, their involvement in school life and so forth.

Comment

Working...
          X