Forgetting names on purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgetting names on purpose

I've noticed a trend of people to express their disapproval of something by referring to it incorrectly.

For instance if you didn't like your daughter's boyfriend, Mark, you might call him Mike. You know his name is Mark, but you call him Mike anyway.

Or you're talking about Star Trek, but you can't admit you actually know anything about star trek, so you refer to it as "Sun Trek. You know, that show with Colonel Jamie B. Dirk." Even though you know damn well what the real name is.

Anyway, I hate this. I see it a lot, especially locally, people seem to think it's clever. It's not. It's right up there with people who say things like "'es runnin his mouth!"

Back when I hated him, I would refer to Leonardo DiCaprio as Leonardo DiCraprio...
    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

lol that was going to be in my rant too but I forgot. Oh boy, that guys name is Johnny Hart! Let's call him Johnny FART! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! DERP DERP! Johnny Mag? Let's call him Johnny FAG!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! DERP DERP!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

DERP DERP!

Comment

What this reminded me of was the old show Bewitched when Samantha's mother called Darrin Derwood or Darwood or whatever she came up with.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I don't bother replacing the name with a similar or incorrect name. I make up nicknames for people I can't stand. Sometimes it rhymes or sounds funny, other times it's just dumb but I don't care.

My bf's best friend is Swamp Rat, Human Herpe, and Waste Of Flesh

I don't forget names, I just replace them with my own clever ones if I don't like the person. Sometimes I even make up nicknames for people I DO like or even love.

Comment

Those are fine, if they're clever.

Story from my sister: "So there's this supervisor at work, and he <laugh> he's so annoying! <chuckle> In fact, he makes us all <laugh> crazy with his <laugh> bullshit! So we <chuckle> we call him <chuckle> <laugh> CRAZY MAKER! AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

No.

Not saying I could come up with anything better, but that's why I would know not to venture into such territory. That's like something you'd see on kids in the hall.

Comment

Yeah, that one's totally lame.

I have an entire list of names I have for everyone. I don't have time to mention them all, some of them are flat out rude and mean but they make me laugh to myself.

Comment

I would get this as a kid (born 1990), usually in the form of "Star Track" or deliberate mispronunciations of "Pokemon".

Comment

Kinda reminds me of Sgt. Recoder (imagine George Lopez as a TI yelling at you). He never called any of us by name, even if we wore our BDU's. It was always, "you, male," or "hey you, female." I remember once he dismissed someone by saying, "all right, go away, gifted."
                  Last edited by Hobbs; 06-27-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X