You live in Vancouver because you like your big house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You live in Vancouver because you like your big house

If it meant I could have a big house I would gladly live in Portland. I just read a letter to the editor in a local area magazine referring to those of us who commute from Vancouver to Portland as living the "white suburban lifestyle".

I would love to live in Portland for a long time it has been my dream to live in downtown or close to. My cheapest options on this side of the river are full of gang activity and are as far away from my office as the place I live now.

Anything closer to work is more expensive or in bad neighborhoods with no sense of community. I am a broke going to be college student but you know what when I can afford a place in Portland I will be there in a heartbeat.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Letters like that seem to show up in every city's newspaper. Not long ago, some idiot called us suburbanites "a bunch of racists," simply because we didn't want to live inside the city limits. For most of us, race had *nothing* to do with it.

I live out in the 'burbs, mainly because the cost of living is lower. I don't know about the rest of you, but why should I pay a wage tax that's 3 times higher inside the city of Pittsburgh? Why should I deal with inept city government, higher property taxes (on smaller dwellings, in many cases), higher crime rates, constant traffic problems, and other crap? Pardon my French, but fuck that.

I chose to stay out in the 'burbs, mainly because I grew up there. Right down the street from where I live now, in fact. Because of that, I knew the area pretty well...and when my house came on the market, I pounced on it. It's nice having a yard, not having to deal with on-street parking drama. Oh, and if I ever choose to sell, the school districts are better

Comment

As long as you don't claim the city if you live in the 'burbs. When I lived in Kansas City, I actually lived in the city limits of Kansas City, MO. (Somehow people refused to believe this.) I generally liked it and was smart about it. Never got mugged, and never had my car broken into. Panhandling's a different story, but that's everywhere.

Now that I live outside the metro, I meet people who are from Johnson County (rich white suburb in Kansas) who say, "Oh, I'm from Kansas City." "Really, where?" "Overland Park" *headdesk* Then you aren't from Kansas City. And, sadly, race usually does have something to do with it. Racial tension is super high in KC, and I wonder why? The shit-for-brains mayor is doing all he can to alienate the poor black population. The "Power and Light District" wiped out a lot of small businesses and cheap housing to put up horrible bars and chain restaurants, and make a portion of downtown "safe" enough for white, JoCo tourists on their way to see Celine Dion at the Sprint Center.

To me, a city has a certain culture and feel that's missing in a suburb. KC is really pretty, and has all of these old buildings and all different houses, tons of small businesses around since forever..... Olathe, where every single business looks the same* simply doesn't have that.

So, live in the 'burbs if you want, but don't claim the city.

*They have some kind of public appearance law, all buildings and signage are white, beige, or brown. It's freaky

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        So, live in the 'burbs if you want, but don't claim the city.
        See that I won't do I agree it's bullshit happens around here all the time you hear people be like, "I live in Portland" but then it turns out they live in an other city.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I live where I do because I've *always* (near enough) lived here and it's a nice location; better than I'd be at all likely to find at anything like an affordable price elsewhere even were I inclined to.

As for claiming the city, well, it depends. I'm far enough out that I cannot reasonably claim any recognizable city, but it makes sense for people within a metro area to just say they're from the name of the big city everyone knows vaguely of, if they're far from it and talking to someone who isn't likely to know what they mean otherwise.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Technically, I live in the city of Henderson, a suburb of Las Vegas. If people out of the area ask me where I live, I tell them Vegas. I do this for multiple reasons. Most people have no clue where the city of Henderson is. How close am I to Vegas? I'm only about 5 miles from the strip.

Back to the OP, I see it out here and i saw it a lot when i was living in the SF Bay Area. People would love to live in the city they work in, but would like to own property at either a reasonable size, price or combination of the two. Here in the Vegas area, you're lucky if you can get a plot of land bigger than a quarter acre. Go 50-60 miles out to the town of Pahrump and you can get an acre and a quarter for less than what the quarter acre costs you here. It's what the bulk of my family has done. In the bay Area, they all started moving out to the the Stockton/Modesto areas or down to Gilroy and Morgan Creek for the same reasons. LA has a lot of commuters from Victorville and Barstow.

CH
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              As for claiming the city, well, it depends. I'm far enough out that I cannot reasonably claim any recognizable city, but it makes sense for people within a metro area to just say they're from the name of the big city everyone knows vaguely of, if they're far from it and talking to someone who isn't likely to know what they mean otherwise.
              I've always done that. I live in one of the smallest of the 'burbs south of the city. So small, that it's usually not on most of the maps. It's simply easier to say "I live in Pittsburgh," than have to pull out a map to tell people where I am.

Comment

Here's an example of how to handle it:
                "Where are you from?"
                "I'm from *suburb*"
                "Oh, where's that?"
                "It's near *big city*"

And there ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                  Technically, I live in the city of Henderson, a suburb of Las Vegas. If people out of the area ask me where I live, I tell them Vegas. I do this for multiple reasons. Most people have no clue where the city of Henderson is. How close am I to Vegas? I'm only about 5 miles from the strip.
                  I do the same thing... I live in West Millcreak... I tell people I live in Salt Lake City... hell, even locals I tell I live in Murray because no one outside of West Millcreak has any clue where West Millcreak is (and a lot of people in West Millcreak don't even know where it is )

Even in Salt Lake you get the people who will accuse you of living outside the city because you like your SUV too much or like your big house too much, or you hate minorities, blah blah blah.
                  Well, I live outside city limits and I have a compact car, live in a 1000 sq foot condo, in a neighborhood that is about 50/50 on whites to minority ratio.
                  "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I tend to be honest about where I live, which is in the suburbs. I actually live in a weird unincorporated area...which Jack may be familiar with. I live in an area that's sort of Portland, sort of Beaverton (suburb) and the area itself is called cedar mill. So we don't deal with city cops we deal with the county sherrif. Mailing address is Portland but phone service and schools are out of Beaverton. So if I want to make it easy I say Beaverton..but usually I just say "Portland/Beaverton area"...cause people around here are used to the unincorporated spots.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I KNOW THAT PLACE!!! WOOOT!!! I AM SPESCHUL!!!!

Sorry. Anyway yeah around here there are lots of in between places like that. Which amuses me when someone from this side of the river, I am at work, get all snotty because I don't live in Portland so am not contributing to Portland property taxes and then they don't live in Portland either.

So those people know I do pay Oregon state income taxes and if I could find a place I could afford I would be living on this side of the river in Portland *crosses fingers chanting come onnnnn downtown apartment*
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                        I KNOW THAT PLACE!!! WOOOT!!! I AM SPESCHUL!!!!

Sorry. Anyway yeah around here there are lots of in between places like that. Which amuses me when someone from this side of the river, I am at work, get all snotty because I don't live in Portland so am not contributing to Portland property taxes and then they don't live in Portland either.

So those people know I do pay Oregon state income taxes and if I could find a place I could afford I would be living on this side of the river in Portland *crosses fingers chanting come onnnnn downtown apartment*
                        Jack you kill me And you do realize you're dreaming about the downtown apartment right? I live where I do for a couple of reasons...yes its' cheaper than closer in or downtown. God knows it would be easier to commute if I was closer in. But i also live there cause it's a cool place with a great pioneer history. I live right across the street from a gen-u-ine pioneer house So I"m speshul too heh.

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                          Jack you kill me And you do realize you're dreaming about the downtown apartment right?
                          I know. I grew up in Gresham until I was 15 and moved across the river my dad used to take me to downtown. I always saw it as this magical place. I am actually caring less and less these days about where I live.

Honestly where I live is going to based more on if I plan on dating or marrying again or if I am going to be a committed bachelor at this point.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                            I know. I grew up in Gresham until I was 15 and moved across the river my dad used to take me to downtown. I always saw it as this magical place. I am actually caring less and less these days about where I live.

Honestly where I live is going to based more on if I plan on dating or marrying again or if I am going to be a committed bachelor at this point.
                            You're eventually going to want to pair up with someone, people always do.

Comment

Working...
                            X