Wait your only for cyclists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait your only for cyclists?

It irritates me when organizations have misleading names. For example if you are called a Trail Association shouldn't you be for Trail enthusiasts, walking, hiking and biking?

Rather the organization only focuses on trails for mountain biking which is fine except then I wish they would clarify that especially since if someone wanted to start a similar organization that was for all trails then it might be a legal issue if they want to use a descriptive name.

I am talking about ones whom the purpose of the name is to describe what they do. Part of why this bothers me is when they ask for donations. It would be like if I wanted to help a children's charity help sick children and so I contribute to the Children's Health association rather than the Sick kids of the area. and find out that the one I donated to only helps kids with a certain illness.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 06-29-2010, 08:47 PM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Really, you have to check on them before donating anyway; in the process of finding out whether they're legitimate and that a reasonably large portion of donations actually get where they're intended to go, you'll probably find out what they do as well.

In the trail example, well, it depends: the name shouldn't be deliberately misleading, but then, there's a limit to how much information you can reasonably require a name to contain. It isn't at all obvious from the name what, for instance, the Audubon Society is for; someone who only heard it spoken or who could not spell might think it had to do with European roadways. And, while I hope it doesn't throw the thread too off-track, I have to give dishonorable mention to those whose names declare them to be supportive of marriage and family and so forth when their sole reason for existence is to stop people from getting married and disallow recognition of families.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah but all they have to do in the one that I saw is add the word Biking in front of trails and it would be more clear and if I am dropping a few cents in a cup now and then I am not necessarily researching them.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        I have to give dishonorable mention to those whose names declare them to be supportive of marriage and family and so forth when their sole reason for existence is to stop people from getting married and disallow recognition of families.
        You mean like the Family First party in Australia?
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

A good example, yes.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
          X