Uhm no you don't have magical powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhm no you don't have magical powers

I hate moms that assume their knowledge is superior to your doctor, your personal trainer, or even your nutritionist on the sole basis that since they are a mom they have magical know everything powers.

My mom is of the opinion that I should eat less that if I just "shrink my stomach" by eating less (the internal not the external) then I will start losing weight even though, a doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer all told me that this is just starving yourself and that your body still needs just as much fuel will start hoarding it and you will put on more weight not less.

The other thing is that usually I eat no more than the average person. Occassionally I will pig out but seriously who doesn't?

She acts like I am daily overeating. Oh and everything is bad for me.

Eating meat, bad for you, Eating grains, bad for you, Dairy, bad for you, the only food group she doesn't have anything bad to say about is fruits and veggies.

I understand that she is just worried about me and doesn't want me to suffer the health problems that she has but I have always lived healthier than her since I was a kid living in the same house.

She needs to start listening to me when I speak but she sseems to go deaf when I point out why she is wrong about something.

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I think some moms just regurgitate what their moms told them.

But it's a brave new world. We have so much more information now, especially when it comes to diet. I think most educated people understand that starvation diets are the worse thing you can do.

Eat a balanced diet and get lots of exercise. Maybe you'll lose weight. Maybe you won't. But if you're eating well and staying active, you'll still be healthy.

Every reputable study I've seen indicates that a few extra pounds don't seem to have much effect on health or longevity.

Besides, quality of life is important too. I'd rather die at 70 after a lifetime of enjoying wine and cheese than live to 100 by denying myself the simplest of joys.

Comment

I agree and I have been walking a mile a night because I enjoy it because it's an hour where I am listening to my music and being alone with my thoughts and I can escape from the world and pretend it's just me all alone.

My mom doesn't see this stuff even though she watches me walk out the door nightly.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

She needs to start listening to me when I speak but she sseems to go deaf when I point out why she is wrong about something.

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!
        Don't talk back to your mother.

Seriously, that stuff'll get you slapped in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
          Being wrong in your house is occasion to slap the person who points out you're wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
            Being wrong in your house is occasion to slap the person who points out you're wrong?
            Like I pointed out, talkin' back is mighty fine a reason to get your tongue corrected there. You got a problem with that?

Comment

That was totally tongue in cheek.

At least it's good old fashioned Mom advice and not that shit on The Doctors show. Oh my God....hypochondriacs should not be allowed to watch that show. My boyfriend's family is obsessed with that show. It's not meant to self diagnose, but that's what they all do with everything they hear on it. I watched it once just to judge for myself and it's like...wow. Bed bugs from making your bed vs leaving it unmade? Ok....

That and his lovely mother, one day, found an article about the dangers of tanning beds, cut it out, and left it on the kitchen table for us to see when we came in to eat breakfast.

Gee, how nice of you. I didn't know that was bad for you at all!

Comment

Okay, I admit that I'm really sick right now and might not be reading this quite right, but I thought that this part...

Don't talk back to your mother.
                Was tongue-in-cheek (with the little tongue smiley backing up my point), whereas this part....

Was not. The "seriously" tipped me off. I guessed that he was serious.

Comment

My mom's advice is always based on the latest studies ignoring all the later studies debunking it.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Show her this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9bT73BM2Ic

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujUQn0HhGEk&feature=fvw

Tim Minchin's "storm".

Comment

Working...