Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Who Ruin BBQs/Parties

....with politics or religion talk.

I had a bbq with coworkers last night. We knew the topic of work would come up, and we didn't mind some idiot coworker bashing or bashing of the higher ups, but as soon as someone opened their mouths about "Nobama".....then it got a little uncomfortable, quite a bit actually, until someone forced the conversation back to work again.

Does every situation have to turn into "God damn Obama is ruining everything!" and have to turn into a fight over who is right and who is wrong and what we should do or what we could do.....ugh.

People who scream the loudest on what to do with politics are the people least likely to actually do something.

My family is pretty political at times, especally at the last election, but while we may talk about it, it seems that I'm one of the few who doesn't slam the person talking about politics. Just because X voted for B, while you voted for D, doesn't make X a horrible person with mental issues.

No person, in the entire history of the world could be loved by all at the same time. We're just so different.

So, while I dealt with shutting customers up who complaied about politics when I found out that they didn't even vote, (You don't vote, you have ZERO right to complain about who wins and what does or doesnt pass!), fun way to do that at a BBQ, would just spray the person that started it with mustard.

They be sprayed with mustard with a big wtf look. You can calmly say "That's how we are all feeling with you sprouting that nonsense. We here to have fun, not fight..."
    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

I always ask people how they can consider themselves good Americans if they can't stand fellow Americans. It usually shuts people up...or stirs up more trouble. Kind of a hit-or-miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
        I always ask people how they can consider themselves good Americans if they can't stand fellow Americans. It usually shuts people up...or stirs up more trouble. Kind of a hit-or-miss.
        Freedom of choice? Freedom of expression?

Do either of those ring a bell?

Comment

Meh I would just roll my eyes and laugh at the idea that being of the same country as me gives other people the magical ability of always being likable.

I don't always like members of my family so I sure as hell don't always like my fellow citizens.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
            Freedom of choice? Freedom of expression?

Do either of those ring a bell?
            What are you even talking about?

Comment

For the most part my family and friends aren't political so politics usually doesn't come up but if it does I just flat out say that's a forbidden subject at gatherings at my home. Same for religion and Ford v Chevy.
              For new guests I just say we'd rather politics and religion not be discussed. If they insist on those subjects then they can have their conversations in the cattle lot with the rest of the bull shit.
              Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

It depends, I mean few months ago we had a talk with some friends about various political views, and I mean the one guy was way the fuck out there compared to some of us. Had range from left, right, with a commie thrown in. but the thing was, we all respected each others stance and figured as long as you have a reason to feel that way and you can stand behind it, I'm not out to change you, your not out to change me.

Except, usually yeah those two topics get heated, because usually ignorant people feel that if your beliefs are different then you need to change, which is why they get heated. At our gathering which had turned into 6 of us being up while everyone else was passed out, we got along great.

Comment

Kinda funny. My friend Tom and I talk about politics alot. We have very different views. I'm also the only one, in our entire circle of friends that do that, as Tom is the solo republican, and others just flat out refuse to listen to him and disagree with anything political with him on that sole bases alone. It's kinda sad. But he respects my views, and I respect his views, and we never get angry at each other at all over our different views. Hell, I'd convinced him on my side of politics, and he convinved me on his view a few times each.
                  Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
                  I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

What are you even talking about?
                    You said: "I always ask people how they can consider themselves good Americans if they can't stand fellow Americans."

I replied with: Freedom of choice and freedom of expression.

The people who can't stand other Americans ARE good Americans as they are following the First Amendment and using their ability to have choice (of liking/disliking someone) and expression (of stating their dislike).

Make sense?

Comment

You said: "I always ask people how they can consider themselves good Americans if they can't stand fellow Americans."

I replied with: Freedom of choice and freedom of expression.

The people who can't stand other Americans ARE good Americans as they are following the First Amendment and using their ability to have choice (of liking/disliking someone) and expression (of stating their dislike).

Make sense?
                      What I meant was, you may not agree with someone's politics, but demonizing someone for being a liberal (or a conservative) is just stupid. Yes you can disagree with someone, but when you turn it into vehement hatred for people, then you're just being ridiculous. Democracy is about disagreement.

It's also my right to tell someone to shut up and not be such a dumb-ass. I've been called a "sissy-fag liberal" and such because I'm not Republican and been told I'm un-American. This is coming from people who have never served a day in their life. So excuse me for getting defensive when people decide to "exercise their rights" however they want. Hate speech is hate speech, in my opinion.

Besides, if you're in my home, you'll abide by what I say.

Oh, and whatever happened to that "stand by your president" bullshit from 2001-2008?

Comment

Oh no, someone who didn't serve in the military acting like a US Citizen. The horror.

Just because you served in the military doesn't make you a fucking saint who can be the only one to partake of the Constitution.

Comment

Oh no, someone who didn't serve in the military acting like a US Citizen. The horror.

Just because you served in the military doesn't make you a fucking saint who can be the only one to partake of the Constitution.
                          Are you even listening to me? I'm talking about people who DEMONIZE others simply because they're a different party/political stance. It is no more wrong to be a Democrat than a Republican, it is no more wrong to be a liberal than a conservative. People need to wake up and NOT condemn people for their partaking of the Constitution.

Just because you wave a flag and say "Constitution this..." and "Constitution that..." doesn't make you a "fucking saint" either.

I am saying "HOW THE FUCKING DARE YOU!!" call me un-American while I serve my fucking country!

Comment

I am saying "HOW THE FUCKING DARE YOU!!" call me un-American while I serve my fucking country!
                            Let's try to keep this civil, shall we? Cursing at each other isn't conducive to debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                              Let's try to keep this civil, shall we? Cursing at each other isn't conducive to debate.
                              Just to clarify, I wasn't swearing at him, Boozy. I was swearing because the situation called for it. Gen. George S. Patton said it best:

"When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. ... As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence."

Comment

Working...
                              X