people who "have" to set off firecrackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people who "have" to set off firecrackers

Not that I'm trying to come off as a wet blanket or anything, but this is something which the people in my mom's neighborhood are bad about doing, and it gets on my nerves for the following reasons:

- these people seem to be setting them off in the alley, and some of these firecrackers go flying through the air.......I'm sure it doesn't need to be said where this could end up being a problem.

- last year, we had some idiots setting off firecrackers in the alley right behind my mom's house, and in the neighbor's yard. My mom had an older dog with major heart issues, and let's just say I was REALLY pissed off because this dog was not handling the noise well, and I had no way of getting her to an emergency vet because I can't drive. (this assuming I could have located one in the area who would be open that time of night)

The people across the street have been setting off fireworks since I got back from vacation on Saturday. They've already had one visit from the police--seems that someone got tired of all the sulfur smells plus all the smoke. I can't really blame the guy, but it wasn't even the damn Fourth yet!

Comment

It's not really the smoke or sulfur smell that annoys me, it's that the animals get really upset when the firecrackers are being set off behind/in front of my mom's house. (they don't seem to care too much about the "real" fireworks show at a nearby country club)

Comment

I hate it b/c some of the firecrackers sound too much like mortars. (pfft-schweeeeeeee-POP). It's still kind of jarring a year after the fact.

Comment

The gas station I worked at was kind of behind a residential area, and people liked to set of fireworks in very close vicinity. One of my former coworkers once had to call the fire dept to get them to stop. I mean yeah it sucks that you're being told not to set them off in your own yard or whatever but, when you're that close to that much flammable liquid you should use your brain.

Comment

I agree that a lot of people are really obnoxious with fireworks, and that there is definitely a safety concern/fire hazard no one seems to consider with where these things land.

I have a problem with the claims of it being cruel to animals. Not that the op used that term, but a lot of editorials in the local paper have. I mean, yeah, they don't like it, but they don't like thunderclaps or lightning either. Is it animal cruelty to own a pet in an area that gets violent thunderstorms?

Comment

Some jerks were setting off firecrackers at 1am last night. Despite the proximity to campus, a lot of families live around here. I mean, I'm not one to scream "but the children!" however, a little common respect for neighbors who have kids or those who have to actually get up and go to work today would be nice. Not to mention that all fireworks are illegal within the city limits. If you want to set off your boom-booms, go out into the country, in the middle of nowhere, where you won't disturb anybody else. Otherwise, just enjoy the show the city put on.

Comment

...We were setting stuff off around 12:30am last night. Mostly just sparklers and some pop pops. One or two special ones. We need to stop drinking so often...
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by infinitemonkies View Post
                  I have a problem with the claims of it being cruel to animals. Not that the op used that term, but a lot of editorials in the local paper have. I mean, yeah, they don't like it, but they don't like thunderclaps or lightning either. Is it animal cruelty to own a pet in an area that gets violent thunderstorms?
                  I know this wasn't directed at me personally, and I definitely don't expect pets to enjoy the sound of firecrackers, but last year I'd say it was borderline cruelty to the dog I was keeping an eye on. This being because she was afraid to go outside to pee/poop because the idiots behind my mom's house "had" to set off firecrackers in the alley, and I couldn't take the dog out in the front yard because we had idiots setting off firecrackers in the neighbor's yard. (who, by the way, weren't home)

Comment

I have people in my neighborhood who do this from the beginning of teh 4th of July weekend until the beginning of the school year, every single night. I understand doing all of this on the fourth, maybe on the fifth to get rid of leftover stuff, but not that late!

Plus, we live near a pretty bad part of the adjacent city, so we can never tell if it is fireworks or gunshots going off.
                    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

I hate the ones that makes the big booms. Going to see them is one thing and it doesn't bother me. But the ones around my house that goes boom, I can do without those. My moms dog is scared of the noises. She called the cops on them and 2 1/2 hours later she gets a call from the police asking if the fireworks are still going on. When she said no, they mentioned that they will cancel the car from going around.

Comment

I remember a couple years back when some guys would shoot some off only a few blocks from my house. Now these were the BIG kind that you would see at fireworks shows. Just the sound of them being shot off were loud, but the actual explosion literally shook the house. A magnificent display, but man were those loud!! The thing is, they would only shoot a couple then leave before the cops could arrive. This continued every night for a couple of weeks. A couple of fireworks would be shot off around 9 or 10 at night; HUGE explosions, the cops would arrive too late, repeat process every night for a couple of weeks. I don't know if they were caught or if they just ran out of fireworks, but things were quieter once they stopped.

I actually like fireworks, but I can see how they can be obnoxious, and downright dangerous at worse. I just wish people wouldn't shoot them off past midnight. I've been kept up some nights because of douchebags who would shoot some off at 1 or 2 AM. If you're gonna do it, do it between 9 and midnight (preferably around 10).

Comment

There's a family behind my house setting off fireworks. I got half a mind to call th' authorities...

Comment

Around here - in a city where fireworks of any kind are banned (I'm not arguing for or against the bans here, I both love fireworks and understand the reasons behind bans) the noises start about a week before Independence Day, and continue with decreasing frequency for a week after. Within an hour's drive are reservations, and a few stands will sell people M-80s, cherry bombs, even quarter sticks if you look unsuspicious and ask furtively. Right now (about 1:20 AM on July 7) every half hour or so I hear one. I don't mean the weeeee-pop of a whistler, or the sharp crack of a mortar, but the BOOOOOOM of M-80s and larger.

Okay, so I've bought some less-than-legal items in the past, and set them off on the 4th. But dude, do your neighbors not yell at you the next day? Can you really keep saying "I swear it's not me! Someone up the block is doing it!" The few times in the past that I got hold of big bangs off-season and wanted to set them off, I went way out into the boonies...

OP, I understand what you're saying. Our current dog gets seriously freaked by loud noises. In the past, when there was no fireworks ban, whatever dogs we had were always on-edge during this few days, as there'd be bangs and booms for at least four days straight. Our current dog is more sensitive than most; knocks at the front door, the vacuum cleaner, the doorbell, the telephone, even someone standing up too quickly freak her out. Some dogs are just far more sensitive to noise - and if we had neighbors setting off firecrackers all night, I'd call the cops and/or go tell them to "cut it the hell out".

Comment

I was hearing fireworks and the boom booms that go with it, no kidding weeks ago at night.

I'm a night person, so the noise doesn't wake me up or anything, even Sunday night when I was trying to sleep at night, but the thought of it annoys me.

Days and weeks before the 4th, and days afterwards....don't buy that damn many that you're prepping several days before and still have some leftover. Just don't. It's annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X