Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

religious hypocricy (none cs friendly sighting... not really a religious rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• religious hypocricy (none cs friendly sighting... not really a religious rant)

OK, so my fiance's sister is going to drive me (and him) nuts.
    We went up to see her today and she was getting really involved with trying to help with wedding planning (we haven't set a date or location and she is already talking about outfits for everyone to wear), and she was excited to be helping.
    About half an hour later the discussion turns to the fact that the Ogden Temple is getting renovated, and I mention "oh, thank God... that alone may restore my faith" (of course a reference to the fact that the Ogden Temple is the ugliest Temple on the planet... they went with a 70's space age design... just NO... sorry, side topic).
    Her response was, "don't you dare go badmouthing my religion" (umm, I didn't badmouth the religion, I said the building was ugly... I hope your religion is more than the building)... but OK, OK, I won't insult the temple.
    She goes on to say "Sorry, I haven't had a Temple Recommend for a while and I'm really trying to keep anything unpure and against the gospel out of my life, so I can get my Recommend again."

Um, half an hour ago you were excited about assisting in a marriage that is condemned by church teaching but now you are getting concerned about speaking ill of a building that the Church itself has deemed to be undesirable?
    "Oh, but the Temple is Sacred... and besides, weddings are fun"

On a semi-related topic... my fiance's mom... who was so accepting to begin with... is adament that she does not want us going all the way to San Fran to have the ceremony, that is just too far for the family to travel (yet they all drove to San Diego for my fiance's cousin's wedding)... says she can't afford it and doesn't want to ask for my (or rather my family's) charity. His father on the other hand... the one who at first was irate that his son was with another man... when he heard the idea his only response was "well, it will be difficult to swing the finances, but we sure can try to make it work if that is what you really want...
    What the hell... what an odd role reversal.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Aw jeez! It's already starting to get messy.

One word: Elope.

Comment

People are messed-up bundles of irrational emotions.

If she could explain what's probably going on in her head right now, she might say, "My stone-age brain wants me to be part of social groups, because that's how my anscestors were able to survive. My brother's part of my core social group, my family, and so I want to support him. But I also want to continue to belong to this other social group, the church, and sometimes how the church wants me to behave conflicts with how my family wants me to behave. It's really tough for me to reconcile those behaviors, so sometimes I'll favor one group over the other. And which one I favor may change from moment to moment, depending on the situation."

I'm not insulting her by saying she has a stone-age brain. Our brains haven't evolved much since we started banding together in small groups for protection, back when we were still hunters and gatherers.

Kind of OT, what is a "Recommend"? Does it have to do with some sort of hierarchy within the church?
      "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Heh. The wedding crazies have begun. Have fun with the planning, hope they don't drive you guys too insane.

Back on-topic: Maybe her reaction was a knee-jerk response to your comment (which, really, could have been meant as a slight to her religion), if she knows how you feel about the church and how it's treated you.

Ugh. Don't know if that makes any sense. Sick child, no sleep. Running on caffeine at the moment. Sorry.
        Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Ghel, how are you not insulting her by saying she has a Stone-Aged brain? Are you implying that people who have beliefs are somehow intellectually inferior to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
            Ghel, how are you not insulting her by saying she has a Stone-Aged brain? Are you implying that people who have beliefs are somehow intellectually inferior to you?
            Did you even read what I said?
            Originally posted by Ghel View Post
            Our brains haven't evolved much...[emphasis added]
            Obviously, I was including myself and all of humanity in that statement. I hope that people will overcome evolution and abandon the sort of "us vs. them" thinking that is left over from our tribal era. But it's not easy to do. I sure haven't mastered it.
            "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

I sure haven't mastered it.
              Quite obviously.

Comment

Kind of OT, what is a "Recommend"? Does it have to do with some sort of hierarchy within the church?
                A Recommend is what is required to enter the Temple (because you know, God loves all his children, but apparently only a very small number of them are actually worthy of all love)

Originally posted by KnitShoni View Post
                Back on-topic: Maybe her reaction was a knee-jerk response to your comment (which, really, could have been meant as a slight to her religion), if she knows how you feel about the church and how it's treated you.
                The thing is... she herself has criticized the Ogden Temple for its hideous design (or at least she did before she suddenly decided that getting her recommend was so important).

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  The thing is... she herself has criticized the Ogden Temple for its hideous design (or at least she did before she suddenly decided that getting her recommend was so important).
                  See, I can understand (if not agree with) not letting in people you think are immoral, but would they really keep her out for not liking their taste in *architecture?*
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I honestly don't think taste in architecture is a prerequisite for entry into the temple, to my knowledge that isn't even a question on the recommend interview
                    The problem is that many members view any criticism of the church as allowing "impure" influences into their lives...
                    Yet she is willing to assist with a wedding the church condemns...
                    It's like seriously, make up your mind, no impure influence or just keep yourself pure without worrying about those around you... please let me know so I know how to interact with you... grr

Comment

Working...
                    X