Being put on hold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being put on hold

I hate waiting, period. I know it's unavoidable sometimes, but there are times when it's completely unnecessary.

A good example, I go to the doctor at my scheduled appointment, but things are running late. Okay, five, ten miniutes, I can accept that. What I cannot accept is finding out that there were two patients before me, not including the patient who was there when I got there. I end up waiting an hour just to be told I can go in. If it was going to take that long, fucking tell me! Don't give me this crap about the doctor being there "shortly". Bullshit! An hour is not "shortly"! If it's going to take an hour, tell me so that I can know it's okay to do other stuff while I'm waiting.

Another example, restaurants. I can't even begin to count the times that I have been done eating, all ready to go, but was unable to leave because I had to pay. I can't pay until they bring me the check, but they aren't bringing me the check, even when I ask for it. Come on! I'd think they'd be happy to get my money. Just give me the goddamn check, let me pay up front, and I'll the hell out of there. There's been a few times I've been tempted to leave without paying. It's not like they were giving me much of a choice in the matter.

Don't even get me started on friends and family pulling this shit. I've had entire days ruined waiting for them to show up only to have them show up super late or not show up at all. I've even been put on hold on the phone by some people, and they're the ones who called me! GRR!!! If you want me there for something, let me know, but don't keep me waiting just so that I can be there when you're ready. And if you must keep me waiting, at least tell me how long.

That is all.

You seem to be operating on the assumption that people *know* how long you'll have to wait.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I hate being put on hold when they either insist on playing adverts for their business in a continuous loop, or "Greensleeves". Gah... -.-
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        You seem to be operating on the assumption that people *know* how long you'll have to wait.
        In those examples, they should at least have an idea. Not to mention, I shouldn't even have to wait for certain things (at least not as long as I do sometimes).

Comment

How is the doctor suppose to know how long it will take?

"This looks like it could be seriouse Mr. Smith, but I have another appoointment so we'll just have to wait before I can give you the test. Hopfully it won't kill you before next Tuesday."

Comment

It's not an emergency room kind of doctor, it's just routine appointments.

Comment

In Rage's defense, I get what he (she?) is saying.

There's a huge difference between waiting in a Doctor's office for 10-15 mins and waiting for well over an hour.

If it's a one-time thing, fine. If it's an ongoing problem, then it's clearly a staffing or time-management issue that should be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                I hate being put on hold when they either insist on playing adverts for their business in a continuous loop, or "Greensleeves". Gah... -.-
                I may have mentioned this before, but how about an endless loop of "I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke?"

I don't remember when they *stopped* using it, but that's what you'd get every time for many years if you called Coca-Cola for fountain repair.

(No, I don't mean they'd leave you on hold for years )
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

on hold music/whatever can be amazingly bad. My work has a godawful constant running advertisement for our company that just sounds dumb. One business I call every single day has the same continuous loops of elevator music that drives me up the wall.

can't we at least have some interesting music to listen to?

and as for dr office they ALL have the same problem. They are always running late and make you take an hour and a half for something that should be 15 minutes tops.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

At my job (security) I have to call in every hour to check in. The on-hold music is so awful I won't dignify it by calling it music- it's soulless, offensively bland muzak. I hate it so much that as soon as it comes on, I hang up and call again. You see, when you call, it doesn't always put you on hold, it will go to a live person if they're not all busy. So I keep trying until I get a live person, because I simply cannot abide the garbage muzak, it annoys me that much.
                    Why can't they just play real music?

Comment

Peppergirl is correct. Waiting only 10-15 minutes is a godsend at that office. The problem is that they try to cram too many patients in at once. Then the appointments typically take longer than the 15 minutes they are supposed to. Sure, sometimes the patients are late, but I believe the problem is that the appointments take longer than anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                        Sure, sometimes the patients are late, but I believe the problem is that the appointments take longer than anticipated.
                        I'd bet a lot of those appointments take longer because some mom thought "Well, little Johnny has an doctor's appointment, and little Susy has the sniffles, so I'll just bring her along and ask the doctor a few questions!"

At least that's what my mom did.
                        The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                        my brother's

Comment

Why can't they just play real music?
                          Money.

Comment

Buying the rights to play most popular music is way beyond the budget of most companies, or beyond what they're willing spend, anyways. Not everyone is Richard Branson.

Comment

Oh dear god give me the shittiest blandest hold music in the world over the beep anyday. Some companies don't do hold music they just put you on hold and you hear a beep at 10 second intervals so you know the call hasn't dropped.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X