Fat people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat people

Gah, this woman was at work today and she was huge and smelled. I understand when you are that fat washing yourself must be a chore but do everybody a favor and do it anyways. If anything it will lower your chances of being mistaken for a farm animal if you don't smell like one.

She also was wearing too tight of jeans and a shirt that showed her gut every time she did anything other then pull her shirt over her gut. Believe it or not fat people but stores sell sizes for you. There is no reason to try to cram an extra hundred pounds into a shirt that wasn't designed for it. I realize Walmart charges an extra two bucks for the XXXXL shirts but you've only got to cut one box of twinkies out of your diet that day to afford it. It might be a challenge, but less of one then trying to do the equivilant of stretching a car cover over an air craft carrier.

I can agree that poor hygiene is distasteful. I can even somewhat agree that someone wearing too-small clothes is a bit distasteful.

But neither of those things have anything to do with someone's weight, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      But neither of those things have anything to do with someone's weight, do they?
      Nope. My BF and I are both overweight, and we manage to smell nice. Clothing....I'm guilty of wearing clothes that are a bit snug, but that's because I can't afford to buy all new. I just need to lose the weight. (Or, as you say, quit eating Twinkies. I didn't even know I had Twinkies!) But until such time....

Oh, and really, please try finding high quality, fashionable, affordable clothing for us "fat people." I've gone shopping so many times this summer only to come home empty handed. I'm going on vacation next week, and then to a conference in early August, and there's just nothing. I don't know wtf the designers at Lane Bryant are smoking....clingy lightweight cotton? Really? Because nothing screams confidence more than a shirt that clings to every single flaw in my body. The crazy patterns, the empire waists (can you say maternity wear?), and the ridiculous prices...sheesh. Of course, that's better than most places that assume that all "fat people" are also over 60. I don't even go shopping with friends because we can't go to the same stores. At any given mall, there are maybe two or three places I can shop. It's incredibly frustrating...so, yeah, maybe I wear a shirt that's a bit tight. But I don't let my bits hang out for all the world to see like so many skinny chicks do.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        that's better than most places that assume that all "fat people" are also over 60.
        I absolutely hate this! Why does stores assume that young people aren't overweight and if they are, they don't want stylish clothing?? It is irritating I totally agree! I would love to see a popular store come out with another chain for bigger sizes where all the same style clothing is available in other sizes..one can hope!

Comment

I know, kibbles. I used to drive an hour to the closest Torrid, but after the awful service I got there yesterday, no more.

But why should companies make clothes to fit us? Why shouldn't we just all crash diet so that we can be a socially acceptable size? And until we do, we should just order from catalogs, since we really shouldn't been seen in public...y'know, being all fat and stuff. /sarcasm

Comment

I have come across thin people who seemed unaware of the fact that our species had invented soap and deodorant. No need to single out overweight people.

And as for the clothing thing, if you have even a slightly unusual body type, it can be hard to find clothes that look good. I've never been significantly overweight, but I am a little shorter than average, and I have a stubby upper body. It's sometimes hard to find shirts that aren't too long. Often, even the shirts that are made to be worn untucked are too long on me. Also, I usually feel like I'm wearing a bathrobe if I have to wear a suit jacket.

Comment

I had a roommate that was borderline morbidly obese, and she always stank to high heaven. I used to hate to go anywhere near her and I used to get really pissed off when she would admit to me that she either woke up too late for a shower before work, or she just couldn't be bothered.

I didn't live there long.

On the other hand, one X-Mas my entire family gifted my brother with an assortment of deodorants, shower gels, and new underwear. It was our very subtle way of saying that he stank and that we wanted him to fix that, and now!

He was like a bean-pole at that point in his life, and I don't think it's even possible for him to gain much weight (bastard).

I myself stink when I exercise, so I use very strong deodorant for the benefit of myself and those around me, and I shower at least once a day. It's just good manners.

On the subject of clothes; I too get annoyed when I see people who are wearing clothes that don't work on their body type at all. They can be fat, thin, flat chested, Double D's, beanpole, or stumpy. Just because it looks good on the store mannequins does not mean it's going to suit you. Fricking use the fitting rooms and get a second (or third, or forth) opinion if needed!

I myself have short legs, a long torso, a little pot-belly, and a large chest. I have to try on everything. If a shirt fits around my shoulders, then my boobs are practically ripping free. If pants fit around my waist or hips, then the hems are dragging along the ground. My shirts are never long enough for my torso. It's frustrating. Stupid clothes
              "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
              Josh Thomas

Comment

There are very few people who have the build of a store mannequin, in fact I only know maybe 3 people, my girlfriend and a couple of other women I train with, they all have that build, except they're all under 5'2", they're also all basically semi-professional athletes, but companies keep making clothes that look good on them.

The hygene thing isn't limited to overweight people, it does however seem to be a bit more prevalent among them. As to the clothes, I'm assuming we're talking obese, not just overweight here, but there are certain ways people should just not dress for their body types.

Also on clothing, I've never had trouble finding decent clothes to fit me except across the shoulders, but I'm guessing it's harder for women than men.
                I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I knew a guy in college that no matter what he did he smelled. It was bad. One day he was out and my group of friends and I went into his room. We used fabric fresheners and Lysol to clean the room. Even after all of that we still didn't stop the smell. The thing is he was a beanpole. In high school he was a long distance runner and was built like one too. I doubt he could gain any weight if he tried.

I am also very careful on what I use for soap and detergents. I don't know if anyone else has dealt with this before but there are certain soaps that do not do a very good job on me. The soap that was suppose to clean me actually fed the bacteria and made me smell horrible. I had to use tea tree oil soap after that to kill off all of the bacteria. Just because it says it's soap doesn't mean it will work.

I can understand that you were offended by this person's smell but don't assume that because she was fat is the cause of the smell. Yes, there are people who are lazy and don't bathe, but not all of them are fat. There might even be medical conditions that cause a person to smell more.

As for the clothing department I have the opposite problem. The majority of my clothes is too big and looks like I'm swimming in them. It looks like I don't know what my size is and right now it's kinda true. I also agree that new clothes are expensive, really expensive. This is true when you have to purchase a new size every 2-3 months.
                  "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
                    I realize Walmart charges an extra two bucks for the XXXXL shirts but you've only got to cut one box of twinkies out of your diet that day to afford it. It might be a challenge, but less of one then trying to do the equivilant of stretching a car cover over an air craft carrier.
                    this unfortuenately is the kind of generalized stereotyped statement I really loathe.

remember some people can not help be be overweight. take my Ex Wife for example. when we met 27 years ago she had a few extra pounds. over the course of the last 15 years of our marriage she had a multitude of major operations on her abdominal area (last count was 15). NOW this prevented her from working, doing housework, excersizing, etc for LONG periods of time. even though we did eat healthly she gained weight. WHY???? inactivity is the correct answer. she even had a DOCTOR who did 2 or 3 of the surgeries and who knew her FULL surgical historty, tell her in a very "stern" voice to "Put down the milkshake and Twinkies" knowing full well that these "foods" were NOT in her or our diet.

AND those extra extra large clothing sizes cost WAY more than $2 extra. WalMart only goes up to 2x or 3x. try going into a Plus size clothing shop and see how much these garments cost. sorry not all people have that much disposable income. yes I agree that some people try and squeeze into clothing that is too small but I feel that is an image problem. Yes I did see too many muffin tops and "thunder thighs" during the summers I worked at the gas station (and even now as a delivery driver) one other thing about the "cheaper" clothing iis it is just that CHEAP. if you want anything decent and lasting and a bit stylish you have to pay for it.

yes I understand those bodily smells are not all that pleasent, but look at it this way--> esp during hot humid weather in general people tend to sweat and unless you have covered yourself either in a perfume bath (which people would complain loudly about anyway) or have clothing (head to toe) that totaluy absorbes sweat, you will smell. add in that fact that you now have "rolls" that trap the moisture and "ferment" it. you can take 5 showers a day and still have an unpleasent smell about you.

when I work at the pizza place, esp during the summer, it takes me all of 5 miniutes to start to sweat and smell even though I have used anti-pesperiante and deodarent. most of the nights I have worked for the last 2 months I have come home smelling like 5 day old dead road kill.

have we devolved or been BS'ed to the point that even normal bodily smells are SOOOO disgusting. HELL look at most of the HBA industry. they teach us that all of our own "natural" body smells are "BAD and NASTY" and that we must substitute flowers, fruits or animal smells so that we may be acceptable to each other.
                    Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Given the size of an US XXXL I'm wondering exactly how big people are. (There is a large difference between a US XL and an Australian XL)
                      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I have run into many people in this town who believe that bathing is optional, but they're all (thin) hippies. I guess bathing is giving into the man or something.

Comment

I cannot believe that clothing that fits is that hard to find. I'm not talking about expensive designer clothing, I'm talking about something to cover a person's gut. Pants or outer layers on the top can be worn more then once a day, assuming you bath, and if you do laundry once a week all you really need are seven different outfits for everyday use.

The trouble is that people who let themselves go don't care enough about themselves to take the time. They think a pair of jeans that hasn't fit in two years and a large shirt is good enough. Well it isn't. If I wasn't working I would have told that person from my original post that she smelled and her clothes were too small. People need to realize that the bare mininum standards are not that difficult to reach.

Comment

Believe it or not fat people but stores sell sizes for you.
                            not as much as you think, and even if they do have them they usually don't have the stock.

There is no reason to try to cram an extra hundred pounds into a shirt that wasn't designed for it. I realize Walmart charges an extra two bucks for the XXXXL shirts but you've only got to cut one box of twinkies out of your diet that day to afford it.
                            Here is something you may not know...shirts from WALMART SHRINK, I have bought multiple 3xl from walmart and they always shrink so I have to go elsewhere.

you say it's just one box of twinkies, well imagine having to hunt specifically for every piece of clothing you buy and pay more, have limited selection and on top of that you have to put with horrible comments from other people about how you're a horrible person because you happen to be fat and you continuously hear on the news about the obesity epidemic but you stores still refuse to stock your sizes. Hell I have size 14 feet, that has nothing to do with my weight and most stores stop right at 13, so I have to go to sports stores and pay 100 dollars when if I had size 13 I could find shoes for like 30.

It might be a challenge, but less of one then trying to do the equivilant of stretching a car cover over an air craft carrier.
                            wow anything I have to say to this will just get me in trouble, but I've seen a lot of skinny people who think they are all that and look freaking ugly or ridiculous.

It's not easy being fat, it's not easy losing weight, it's not easy hearing every single fucking person in the entire school comment on your weight and it's not easy getting into a shower every day and looking at yourself and accepting they may be right.

Try an experiment for me will you? pick a meal you eat every day, and skip it but don't add any extra food to any other meals or move them around schedule wise, eat entirely the same aside from skipping lunch or breakfast or supper, and then come talk to me about skipping a box of twinkies.

Comment

I cannot believe that clothing that fits is that hard to find. I'm not talking about expensive designer clothing, I'm talking about something to cover a person's gut. Pants or outer layers on the top can be worn more then once a day, assuming you bath, and if you do laundry once a week all you really need are seven different outfits for everyday use.
                              alright then challenge 2, go to your local walmart and count the number of 3xl shirts vs the number of 2xl shirts, compare the pant sizes and also look at the costs, also some stores don't even go above 2xl, like costco.

The trouble is that people who let themselves go don't care enough about themselves to take the time. They think a pair of jeans that hasn't fit in two years and a large shirt is good enough. Well it isn't. If I wasn't working I would have told that person from my original post that she smelled and her clothes were too small. People need to realize that the bare mininum standards are not that difficult to reach.
                              do have any idea how many skinny people I see with holes in their shirts and jeans and stains on them or dressed like sluts.

Comment

Working...
                              X