Stereotypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereotypes

While most people hate stereotypes, they seem to forget one thing: They came from somewhere. People didn't just make these up. They came about because a large number of a particular group of people demonstrated a particular behavior.

What I hate is the fact that I AM a stereotype. My people are known for being stupid. Stupid in the way that we do everything backwards. We do things the long way. We take the hard road when there's an easier way to do it.

Like the joke about one of my people who was hired to paint lines in the road. His first day he painted like 5 miles of road, but by the end of the week he'd only painted another mile. "What happened?" asked the boss. "Well," he replied, "That bucket of paint keeps getting farther away!"

And that's me. That's something I'd do.

I am a stereotype.

I agree, stereotypes do have a basis in fact. It doesn't mean I think that every individual of a certain group is the same, but a large number of people in each group do fit the stereotype.

Comment

So a large number of blond's are stupid because they are blond?
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        So a large number of blond's are stupid because they are blond?
        Or stupid people dye their hair blond?

Comment

Originally posted by draggar View Post
          Or stupid people dye their hair blond?
          Exactly. Honestly no not all stereotypes have their basis in fact, or on misunderstandings, or anything else for that matter.

I know stereotypes that people hold that will be passed on and go to more and more people based on one person's experience with one person.

For example, "Oh man that Indian running the store was mean to me he must hate white people"

Next thing I know I hear a lot of people in the group passing around how people from India hate white people.

Wow a stereotype yet it had 0 basis in fact rather based on the fact that the person in question was a dick as a teenager and usually got treated badly because of it.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Working...
          X