Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I say whatever I'm thinking!!

I know several people like this:

"I have to tell you something...and you know me, I say what's on my mind. So it's really important you not take this the wrong way, because I'm just that type of person, I say what I mean. I don't mince words. I just don't want you to get too upset or take it the wrong way, but it's got to be said, because I always say what's on my mind. You understand? I don't like to mince words, I just need to say some things and I never hold back, because you know me and that's how I am....."

It sounds like these people suck at confrontation and either think they don't or try poorly to pretend they don't. Gads.

Comment

I would tell them: Don't put sugar on crap and call it candy, tell it to me straight and say what you have to say.
      "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Some people use this to try and excuse rudeness- making rude and hurtful comments, under the guise of "just saying what I'm thinking". Truth is, it's no excuse for being a jerk. Truth can be delivered tactfully, and contrary to what some people think, civility and diplomacy are not "sugar coating" or "hand holding".

Comment

I believe that if someone has to start out with: " Don't take this the wrong way but...... That they should STFU.
          If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
            Some people use this to try and excuse rudeness- making rude and hurtful comments, under the guise of "just saying what I'm thinking". Truth is, it's no excuse for being a jerk. Truth can be delivered tactfully, and contrary to what some people think, civility and diplomacy are not "sugar coating" or "hand holding".
            Not only can it be delivered tactfully, but a lot of the times, the person who is saying that is full of shit anyway. They make an outrageous, offensive statement such as "Your mother is burning in hell!" and then when everyone gets pissed off, they go "I told you the truth wasn't going to be nice! I'm just saying what no one else had the guts to say". Actually, they are only saying what everyone else had the decency not to say. I don't know about everyone else, but since I'm already proned to think the worse, I don't need these douchebags helping me think the worse.

I also hate the term "suger coating". The people I hear say it think that if they don't say it in the most blunt and rude manner than they are "suger coating" it. To me sugar coating are things found in the political correctness thread. Those are examples of sugar coating.

Comment

I think the line between tactful truth and sugar-coating rudeness is necessity. If it's something bad about a person that they must know about, you may find yourself with little choice but to tell them, but there's no reason to do it rudely. On the other hand, if it's something not important, not hurting anyone, maybe something you don't like but it's not actually affecting you; i.e., in general, something you can suck up and deal with, it seems best to shut up no matter how much sugar you were going to paint on it.

Comment

Personally, I believe people who pride themselves on their honesty or ability to be blunt are most of the time just trying to excuse themselves being assholes.

You know, the whole "You may not like what I'm about to tell you but it's THE TRUTH!"

Comment

Working...
                X