My mother-in-law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mother-in-law

I'll be the first to admit that my MIL isn't as bad as some of the ones who I've heard about, especially here and on CS, and I by no means actually hate her. But she does bother me a good deal and I just wanted to vent about it.

I don't know my MIL very well. I met her for the first time last Christmas, when my husband and I flew to her house for about 3 days around the holiday. I can tell why my husband lives a long ways from her and why he doesn't keep in touch with her very much. She had her very sweet, nice moments, but she also had her moments when she treated my husband, who was 27 at the time, like a child.

The first day we were there, she started teasing my husband about his weight. My husband is absolutely by no means fat; I don't even think he's overweight, though I'm not sure if he is considered overweight clinically (he's about 190-195lbs and is 6 feet tall.) However, when my husband was in high school and college, he was an absolute bean pole. He's probably put on 20-30 pounds since he graduated college and has a job and can afford to eat real food instead of ramen every day. I think he wears the weight well. Like I said, he is by no means fat, and I think the extra weight helps him look "fuller" and over all really good. I prefer him at this weight rather than when he was so skinny. He probably put on a little more weight (nothing significant, a few pounds I'd say) since I moved in with him since I cook about 5 times a week, and my MIL picked up on this fact immediately and started teasing my husband about how well his wife was treating him and how he obviously has been eating well, etc. She said it in a rather condescending tone and then would laugh about it, like she was joking, but I could still tell it was bothering my husband, especially because she said it multiple times and brought it up to other family members.

On Christmas Day, MIL was hosting dinner for a bunch of the relatives. She wasn't actually doing much of the cooking; her daughter (my husband's sister) was making all the side dishes and I was making all the desserts. MIL was only making the turkey itself, which really isn't that hard if you don't have 8 other things going on at the same time. However, as people started arriving in the afternoon, she seemed to get more and more stressed (not sure why, since most of them were entertaining themselves and each other) and she finally snapped at my husband. It started when she made yet another joke/comment about my husband's weight to one of the relatives who had arrived, and my husband got a sour look on his face. MIL said something to the effect of, "Yeah, I know, I'm really annoying you by bringing that up, aren't I?" My husband managed to say "Yeah," before she continued, very angrily, "Well, don't you start with me, boy, because I am NOT in the mood to be putting up with your shit today, I don't need whatever you have to say to me on top of everything else that's going on."

I just about lost it with her. I had to drag my husband back to the spare bedroom that we were staying in before we both let loose on her. We didn't come out again until dinner was served, at which point MIL was perfectly sweet and charming again but never offered any words of apology for anything that she had said. I was really angry that she had spoken to my husband like he was 5 (especially calling him "boy") and had the gall to get mad at him for being upset over her teasing him constantly.

MIL arrived today to visit us for a few days (thankfully she is not staying with us, although she keeps saying how excited she is to move in with us after she retires. When we showed her around our new house for the first time this evening, she kept making comments like, "Is this going to be my room?" and "Oh look at the wonderful deck where I can drink coffee, and back yard where I can grow a garden!" I'm pretty sure she's joking, but it's somewhat unnerving all the same.) While we were eating dinner, talk turned to my husband's work. He is a computer programmer/analyst for a rather large company, and he also recently got offered a position teaching one computer programming-related class at a small tech school in the area. He's very excited about the teaching position; he eventually wants to go back to get his PhD in computer science and teach at the university level, and this is a great little introductory for him, since he's never taught before.

Eventually I asked my husband if he had mentioned the teaching job to his mom (he hasn't gotten it officially, so he hasn't really told too many people about it.) He hadn't, so he started to explain it to her. When he was done, she offered no words of encouragement or congratulations. Instead, she heaved a deep sigh, and said, "Well, just remember that the students aren't going to be as good as you want them to be." She went on to say how my husband is going to have to slow down the pace of his teaching to meet the class's requirement, and that he's going to get disappointed and frustrated with the students and the class in general. And, that it's not very rewarding because it's only a part-time job at a tech college and he's going to be putting in a lot of hours getting lesson plans ready and grading assignments, and the pay won't be worth it. Finally, I said, "Well, I think it's a great opportunity for him, since he wants to teach someday," and she sighed again and said, "I suppose."

I was rather put-off by her utterly pessimistic attitude about the whole thing. When I told my mom about my husband's potential teaching job, she was thrilled and wished my husband luck, etc. My MIL is a high school math teacher, so I don't know if it's just her own experiences weighing in, but jeez. Show a little encouragement for your kid. She never once said congratulations, good luck, etc.

Anyway, that's all. Sorry it got so long. Just needed to get some of this off my chest.

might I strongly suggest this board for help. your MIL has a problem with her son and YOU.

www.motherinlawstories.com

you will find some help there. there are tons of members there with similar or worse problems. and they are always willing to listen and offer advice.

The treating her son like he is still 5 is the first red flag

I assume that BOTH you and your spouse agreed to let her live with you after she "retires"???? OR is she just assuming she can move in????? if not agreed upon by you AND spouse --- BIG RED FLAG with flashing lights. she WILL take over YOUR house and make it HER house make no bones about it.

got to the above website and ask for advice.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Yeah, I second the Mother-in-Law stories website. My MIL isn't as bad as some of them on there, but yeash .... I have to read the site every time there is a hint of us going down to visit.

You really need to talk to your hubs and let him know in no uncertain terms that you do not want your MIL to move in with you. I'm betting he's feeling the same way, & your MIL is just doing this to get your goat. But ... you may have to do a pre-emptive strike against your MIL and let her know that she's not moving in. I have this picture in my head of your MIL arriving on your doorstep with bags in tow the day after she retires.

Good luck! PM me if you need to rant/rave/whatever.
      Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I have talked to my husband about it, and there's no way he ever wants her living with us. There's a reason he lives 9 hours by car away from her. He's said that she's joking when she brings up the whole "moving in after I retire" bit.

Thanks for the link to the board. Some of those stories are horrifying. I'm just glad we don't have (and are not planning to have) kids.

Comment

Like everyone else my MIL isn't as bad as some, and I do actually get along with her for the most part, but when she comes to visit for more than a couple of days I just want to scream. She's picky about everything, paranoid of germs, complains about any food she eats. She nags about how I do the dishes, then proceeds to do them so they don't get rinsed properly and I end up having to re-rinse them. And she thinks that bleach should be used in any washing, I refuse to allow it into most of my laundry, especially my clothing. Oh and everything is too expensive for her, a $10 pair of pants? Too expensive. Basically anything over $5 is too expensive, I hate taking her out to dinner because she doesn't seem grateful for it, just complains about the price and the food.

Though, to be fair my own mother drives me insane when she stays with us as well. But it's a different kind of insane

Comment

Sometimes jokes become truths in some people's minds. Nip the living with y'all after retirement in the bud NOW! Your sweetie needs to just man up and tell her the next time this subject is brought up.

Comment

*R%&^%$&*()&)(_Y)(Y)*

So, my MIL is here with her daughter, T (husband's sister) and T's son, D. D is 6 years old. They had tickets for Sea World today. My husband was working, so he couldn't go, and they asked if I would like to go with them, but I politely declined because it's the middle of summer, rather humid, and I'm prone to migraines, plus it's that time of the month. A perfect setup for me to get very, very ill. However, I did offer to make dinner and have them over to our house in the evening after they were done at Seaworld. They said they would enjoy that, but said that Seaworld is open till 9pm and that they weren't sure how late they would be there. Probably not until 9, but possible until 7 or 8, depending on how tired D got (they wanted to make a full day of it since tickets are really expensive.) I said that was fine, I was planning a crock pot meal anyway, so if they ended up being fairly late, I could just keep it on warm until they got here. They said that sounded great.

At 4:45, T texted me and let me know that they were still going strong so it would probably be fairly late before they left. I let her know that was fine. At 8:30, MIL texted my husband to let him know they were just leaving Seaworld. Okay, a little later than we had expected, but no problem. At 8:55, I got a call from T saying that they were still at Seaworld watching one last show (wtf?) and that MIL was really tired and didn't feel up to coming over tonight for dinner, so she asked T to call me and ask me not to be mad.

Yes, that's right. MIL didn't even have the balls to call me herself, after she had confirmed that they were on their way, to cancel, after leaving us hanging for hours. It's one thing to cancel because you're tired. It's quite another to cancel after saying you were on your way, and to make your DD be the bearer of bad news because you can't own up to it yourself.

T sounded somewhat upset on the phone and kept apologizing. I said it was all right -- I was mad, but I didn't want to be mad at her since it didn't seem like it was her fault. After I got off the phone with her, though, I screamed at my husband (not AT him, just venting while he listened.) He was pretty upset too, and told me this is just part of the reason why he only talks to his mom on the phone about once every three months and only sees her for about 2 days out of the year.

While we were on the phone, T asked if the food could somehow be saved for lunch tomorrow instead. At the time, I said that would probably fine, but after husband and I talked about it, we decided against it. For one thing, we're still eating that meal tonight for dinner, we don't want it for lunch right away tomorrow. For another, we really don't want them over to our house any more than necessary now. Instead, we're going to take them out to an Indian buffet. Did I mention MIL hates spicy food?

Comment

Don't you just love it when a person thinks they can criticize and belittle you just because your'e related to them. *end sarcasm*

I 'm gonna take a stab at this and guess that she does one or both of the following when she's called out on her behavoir:

Says how ungrateful you are after all she has done for you.

"Apologizes" I put in quotes because it's usually a sarcastic one. As in:

"Well excuse me for breathing"

Also try to pull a guilt trip on you and say:

" Well I'm "sorry" I guess I just can't open my mouth and say anything right."

All in a sarcastic tone.

If I'm right can I have a cookie. If I'm wrong.......... Well can I have a cookie anyway?
                If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

Originally posted by RavenStarr View Post
                  If I'm right can I have a cookie. If I'm wrong.......... Well can I have a cookie anyway?
                  Bingo. *offers freshly baked oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, as well as chocolate pecan pie* Like my husband said, it's their loss. They probably ran through a McD's drivethru instead of taking half an hour to come over here and get homemade chicken and dumplings, applesauce, lemon bread, and pie. We have a ton of leftovers, but we also have a big group of friends who will happily devour them and be appreciative about it......

Comment

Do you have any non-chocolate treats? that are also fruit-free? Just in case I guess something correctly later

also, OT for a second, I propose that all people who snidely play the victim card shall be given a good dreadsocking for no less than 42 consecutive minutes. This, I submit, as a public service.
                    All units: IRENE
                    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
                      Do you have any non-chocolate treats? that are also fruit-free? Just in case I guess something correctly later
                      Hmmm, not currently, but I'm sure I can whip something up for you.

Also, apparently MIL was too tired at 9pm last night to come over for dinner, but not too tired at 11:45pm to be messing around with Farmville on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
                        *R%&^%$&*()&)(_Y)(Y)*
                        While we were on the phone, T asked if the food could somehow be saved for lunch tomorrow instead. At the time, I said that would probably fine, but after husband and I talked about it, we decided against it.
                        For some reason this just struck me as terribly rude....you OFFERED to make dinner, and they just expect you to save food you paid for and spent time making? Seems pretty presumptuous to me. And I'll chime in with everyone else and say NO to the moving in. Even if it's a joke, I would flip out on that lady if she even mentioned it again.

Comment

Ahh, the mother to the man in your life.....can't deal with them, can't kill them...

I joke, I joke. While my bf's mother has quite a few loose screws, she actually really likes me (because I'm a "good" kid and my bf is "bad") and I can't be too hard on her. She's just weird.

I vote with the others, nip that moving idea in the bud, fast now!

Comment

Working...
                          X