The unknown police department near Plaino, Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unknown police department near Plaino, Texas

My wife is still on an email list for malinois rescue. (A malinois is a breed of dog similar to a German shepherd which is very commonly used in police, military, and protection work).

Last night she got a horiffic email.

There is a retired police K9 (malinois) in the Plano, TX animal shelter.

First - I do not know if the Plano, TX police department is the one who the dog is from (information is still coming in). I am not going to say anything bad against them or any police department directly unless I know for a fact where it came from, this is directed at the unknown department and / or people involved.

What the hell kind of department would drop off their canine PARTNER at an animal shelter?? We're not talking about an officer that dropped off a pet because of issues with his canine but an officer (and possible supervisor(s)) who intentionally dropped a retired canine officer off at the animal shelter.

This is a dog who gave everything for his human partner. The dog protected his partner and was their companion.

Plus, ANY police department should know DAMN WELL that you can't just drop off a retired canine at a shelter - these are very intense dogs that need experienced owners, especially with malinois and the right training. You can't just give these dogs to any family and I am willing to bet most shelter workers don't know how to handle a dog this intense. This really pisses me off at how irresponsible a police department can be with their own officers. Would they throw a human officer who retired into a maximum security retirement home? If the officer couldn't take care of the dog then the department should have tried to find a home for the dog - they usually know the local trainers and breeders who can help them find the dogs homes.

Sadly, due to policies malinois rescue cannot officially take the dog in (rescue rules state they can't take in any dog that has had bitework training due to the huge liability issue) but they are going to post the dog on their "alternates" page (not though malinois rescue but malinois who still need rescuing) and they're looking for someone to foster the dog (again, NOT for malinois rescue).

I'm pissed at the people responsible for this (incase you couldn't tell). This is highly irresponsible and anyone involved should be reprimanded at least.

Edit: I even think Lackland AFB would have helped them find a home.
    Last edited by draggar; 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM.

Do you have a published story to base this on? What's the evidence that the police department dropped off the dog? How do you know it wasn't an individual officer dropping off the dog?

Also, what's your beef with Lackland AFB?

Comment

I don't know if it was a department or an individual officer - this is directed at whoever was responsible for it. There are no published stories about it, the rescue coordinator for the shelter contacted the malinois rescue coordinator for the area.

I don't even see a listing for a malinois in a shelter in that area (but many shelters don't update their sites quickly). Only one malinois came up in a search and she clearly was NOT a police K9.

No beef with Lackalnd, in fact, the opposite. They seem to have a successful program for adopting out retired military and police canines as well as ones that didn't make the grade - I'm sure if the officer or department had reached out to them they would have helped.

An update: The dog was retired and older (I would think the dog was at least 9-10 years old - probably older considering how long the breed lives) and it was adopted by someone in rescue to foster (just not officially though rescue).

Comment

Wow, that's sad. I thought K9 officers were supposed to keep their dogs or something. I'm in Dallas and wish I could have a dog like that.

Comment

I'm sure Plano is a drive but we're good at getting transport. When the pup is listed on the alternates page I'll post a link.

But - can you handle a dog like this? (very intelligent, high drive, possibly high energy), do you have experience with breeds like this (malinois, working line German shepherds, etc..)?

Comment

No, but I imagine it would be amazing fun if I did.

Comment

Working...
            X