failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failure

ok so I was all psyched for my 2 day 150 mile charity bike ride-woke up with a migraine....ok fine I'll still ride, kept getting sick along the route-only thing that stayed down(due to said migraine) was gatoraide...made it 73 miles, got off my bike at the top of the second to last hill to rest a few minutes before tackling the final hill and last two miles for the day...boom collapsed...couldn't even get into the SAG van under my own power-couldn't stand. Driven the last two miles-wasn't allowed to go anywhere until EMTs had evaluated me, after they did I wasn't allowed to just set up my tent and sleep and try again the next day(today), for the final 75 miles-nope I got sent home-I felt even worse hearing a veteran(18 years on this ride) rider talking on his cell about how he made it in 4 hours-after celebrating his 83rd birthday friday night -great at 34 I'm in worse shape than an 83 year-old man....I feel like crap...plus apparently applying sunscreen while it's raining..doesn't work so well....I spent almost 9 hours in the sun-only half of my sunscreen stayed on....I have some very.....interesting burn lines..I just wish they would've just let me sleep it off and try again in the morning......I feel like I let a lot of people down...my sponsors, my husband(who kept telling me how proud of me he was), my mom, myself...just everyone.....and of course everyone's telling me how amazing it was that I made it as far as I did, but I still feel like a failure.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Don't be so rough on yourself. At least you tried, in spite of being sick. You made it a lot farther than I ever would have at my physical peak, healthy. Take some pride in that, and remember, there's always next year

Comment

Please don't beat yourself up! A migraine occurred, it knocked you down, and you did the best you could under the circumstances. Pat yourself on the back and start exercising for next year, okay?

You are certainly not a failure in my eyes.

Comment

There's an old saying, "Seven time down; eight times up."

Comment

You have not failed until that one time when you are knocked down and do not attempt to get back up.

Then you have failed.

This was nothing more than than a setback and a minor one to boot. You did 73 miles on a migraine and in poor condition. I'd like to see that 83 year old man do the same thing under the same conditions as you were running under.

Talk to a doctor and explain what happened. Let him help you figure out what is needed to prevent the migraine next year, and to suggest a exercise program to help you get ready for next year.

Then you go and kick some asphalt.
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X