Trigger Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger Words

Words or phrases used in a sentence or said in such a way or tone that just triggers the worst reaction in you from even the most calm or best of states that you are in.

I may be that word or insult yet I don't need you (the person calling me such) to remind me.

For me my trigger words stem from my father calling me them any and every time he thought I did wrong which was 70% of the time in his eyes. So those words said in such a way still get to me and trigger a very very bad reaction to the point that when its said and done it makes me hate myself more for what comes into my mind of what I want to do to this person for the fact I lost control over just hearing this word. Because I have control over my actions but the fact that I lost what control I had because of what you said. Yeah major shot to self confidence because I thought i had better control of myself. more mental issues etc etc
    as if every week in counseling to help me help myself isn't enough then (nameless person) comes in and its all over step back 10 paces.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

When I almost got into a bar fight, the trigger word for me was when the guy called me and my dad, "Stupid Mexicans." I was wearing my PTU shirt at the moment and I just leaped forward. The only thing that stopped me was my dad. Even though the guy easily had a foot and 100 lbs over me, I was determined to lay him out on the ground for saying that.

Comment

I have those, too. Main one is "Good girl." I am not a dog. That's the kind of thing you say to an animal when they poop outside for the first time. My grandmother used to do that, despite me telling her (finally YELLING AT HER) to stop it and why.
      I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

My trigger words professionally:

'You people'
        'That's ridiculous'
        'Well, you'd better....... (fill in blank)'

My trigger words personally:

'I never SAID that.' (I have an ex who is big on this)

More later, I'm sure.

Comment

My words....lazy, stupid and stupid (word that rhymes with bore) and they all came from dad. he called me that when he found out i was sexually active...uhm i was 23 and he was lucky because if i was a "normal" teen or person I would have done that at 18 if not sooner. So all of those words stuck with me...and it still hurts even after building up what I thought was an immunity to it.
          Today mother in law said the last two after finding out what happened with me and hubs before we got married. oh premarital sex is so horrible i'm SUCH a sinner. riiight. still freaking hurt
          Yeah we're so over, over
          Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by LexiaFira View Post
            word that rhymes with bore
            I hear ya on this one. My ex called me that toward the end of our relationship. Things were already soured, the technicalities just weren't completely over yet, but he had the gall to call me this (as well as his brother) because I had found someone else who treated me the way I deserved. We hadn't even done anything since the relationship between my ex and I wasn't over, but I was still stuck with that label.

Comment

This is more of a preface than a trigger word, but here goes:

"Don't get mad at me, but-"

Comment

Wow, when I first read the title to this thread, I thought it was Tiger Woods mispelled.

I don't know about trigger words, but I have certain things that people say about me that can make me lash out and get defensive. The thing is, I'm already feeling self concious about it and I'm already getting more than enough grief about it from myself. When someone else attacks me over something I'm already feeling bad about, I can't help but lash out. I don't need people adding gas to an already burning fire.

Comment

I don't really have any trigger words, I can pretty much shrug off anything, however one thing that will set me off is someone spitting on me, do that and I will do pretty much everything in my power to end you.
                  I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                  Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Oh good grief.
                    I can sympathize as I was taught that spitting at someone or in their general direction even if aiming for the floor is to say they are worth less and do not deserve attention beyond being spit at.
                    So very much understood that to be spit at even in anger or just to piss you off is very wrong and degrading.
                    Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

I'm generally very even-tempered, and don't really have anything that will outright set me off. On the other hand, if you're really intent on grinding my nerves, there are two things that manage that very quickly.

1. Being whistled at like I'm a dog. My sister started doing this sometime in middle school, and in the exact same tone she used on her dog. She'd even clap at me to get my attention.
                      2. Treating me like I'm stupid. I'm not sure where this came from outside of just always being 'the smart kid'. But this is the one way to really get me to hate you.
                      "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                      TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

that would get on my nerves but i wouldn't respond, last person that did that to me finally came up and asked why didn't you answer. I finally said because i'm a human being not a dog and even then I don't do that to my own pets as badly as you did.
                        The being treated as stupid i would have retorted well since i'm so stupid then i guess i'm not smart enough to help you soh uh duuuhr guess your SOL and walk off.
                        but of course can't do that in the working world and keep a job so...yes. understood. hugs
                        Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

My mom used to be on me constantly about my looks, my dress, my weight, my hair, and my tendency to not wear makeup. (She will rarely leave the house without spending an hour fixing her hair, putting on makeup, and spraying herself with tons of stinky perfume.) So, any comments about that tend to make me defensive. They also put a lot of pressure on me to be as smart and perfect as my sister, which still kinda stings. Yay for being Daughter #2.

Comment

and its somehow your fault that you don't want to have to spend that one hour having to primp your confidence before leaving the house?

As being unable to wear alot of brands of makeup without skin breakouts to annoying to horrifying degrees. so instead of spending most of my paycheck trying to get the one of three brands i can get i go out with either just a touch of perfume or the occasional foundation to cover up the occasional blochyness or nothing at all besides myself and the standard clothes and shoes

thus i envy those who can wear makeup well.
                            Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

I have the opposite problem. I am chastized and almost crucified for wanting to look nice. And no, I don't have a self esteem problem or think I am ZOMG ugly without makeup, no I don't use a butter knife to put it on, but I only get two days (lately, just one) to not have to wear a big ugly smock and jeans and a tshirt and flat work shoes. Forgive me for wanting to go all out on my little time off and wear fun makeup and do my hair fun and wear all kinds of stink.

I don't mean to sound so defensive, I just tire of hearing "I don't wear any makeup!" or the guys posting "I don't like when girls slap all that shit all over their face, give me a bare faced girl in jeans and a ponytail any day!". That's never been me. I always loved to look my best whenever I could. I could care less about my looks when I'm running errands or working out (never ever wear makeup while exercising!) and I only wear a little for work so I look awake and alert. I love makeup and being able to enchance my eyes, make my skin look at least halfway clear and even, and I love having shiny lips.
                              Last edited by blas87; 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X