Wedding BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    The other etiquette thing I forgot to mention is the Mr. and Mrs. His Full Name. BULLSHIT. I am not, nor will I ever be, Mrs. His Name. I am taking his last name. However, I have a first name that my mother and father gave to me, and I'm not giving that up.
    My wife hyphenated and she quite often goes by her maiden name, I even refer to her as that a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by draggar View Post
      My wife hyphenated and she quite often goes by her maiden name, I even refer to her as that a lot.
      I've thought about going hyphenated, in case I publish before I get married. But then my last name would be kinda redonkulous and long. Meh.

Comment

There are too many "rules" and "traditions" regarding weddings that it drives me bananas.

Comment

My wife to be and I already discussed our weeding next year. Since one of my friends is a top guy in the field, and a little well off. He is wanting to book the ceremony at this one haunted location. He has a band that will be playing it. Also a ghost hunt is going to be following the ceremony, which is going to be fun because one of my cousins is wanting to go one with me

Another cool thing is that us guys will be dressed up as ghost busters. And the female party is dressing up as spirits. My friend that was mentioned just a little bit ago, is also a pastor and he is wanting to marry us.

We also have a couple of friends that is going to take pictures and a friend that is going to video tape it. So we are saving a lot of money, which is great.
          Last edited by powerboy; 08-10-2010, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            I've thought about going hyphenated, in case I publish before I get married. But then my last name would be kinda redonkulous and long. Meh.
            Instead of hyphenation you could just make your maiden name into a new middle name. That way if you do publish before you get married, it's still technically your name and you could just use it instead of your married name. A lot of people do that. Just a random suggestion.

My sister was lucky. She managed to arrange her wedding in one restaurant. The ceremony was held outside in the restaurants garden that happened to have a very nicely decorated gazebo. Then of course the reception was held in the actual restaurant. Think it ended up costing her only a couple of grand.
            "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
            Josh Thomas

Comment

Powerboy that sounds like an awesome wedding!

As for the last name, I'm planning on taking my husbands, hyphenation would just sound dirty haha. Not that my last name doesn't on it's own *sigh*

Comment

Yea. I know what you mean about the rules. There's so many of them. I heard that bridesmaids buy their own dresses and then I've heard that the bride is supposed to buy them. For that I probably will just take it up with the girls. As for last name...I'm so taking my fiance's last name. I like it and it's one of those last names that you have to spell to everyone.

Comment

I bought the dresses for two of my bridesmaids because they were both in financial situations that made it difficult. The other girls were able to purchase the dresses themselves. Most of the girls were able to make use of the dresses for halloween or ren faires (they were medieval types). My flower girl was a total sweetheart and was able to find a wonderful dress that didn't cost her mom much at all and was able to use the dress for a few dance recitals. And I took on hubby's last name just because it was one of the traditions that I kind of liked.

A couple traditions we kept were the unity candle and the whole something old, new, borrowed, blue thing. The unity candle we both liked the idea behind it (unifying the two families symbolically with the candles). The poem was kind of followed by necessity. My dress and shoes were new, my earrings were borrowed and old (some 50 or so years), and because our colors were blue and white, my garter was blue. We pretty much ignored most other traditions because we just didn't like them or like what they meant.

Comment

Oh, I already know the wedding bullshit all too well.
                    We have decided on a great location outside of Park City and already his family is bitching about how far they have to drive (it's all of a 90 minute drive, quit bitching)... of course they don't mention that they had no problem flying all the way to Michigan for his sister's wedding and drove all the way to San Diefo for his cousin's wedding (yeah, not even immediate family).
                    We aren't going too extravegant, we're going to rent an event center overlooking a lake (it's $850, all equipment and furniture provided), we're flying in Red Headed Phone Girl to officiate (and DJ). Reception will be in the same place, and just cheap catering, most likely we will do it ourselves). We haven't decided where the rehearsal dinner will be, there's a pizza place we like that has an event room that we could rent.
                    We want the ceremony out on the lawn of the event center looking towards the lake. My fiance and I will wear traditional kilts from our respective clans, the best man will wear whatever suit he likes, same with all the groomsmen. The best woman and the groomswomen will be wearing any dress they want as long as it is NOT white.
                    The only kind of over the top thing is that on either the day before or the day after (haven't decided which) we are going to have a Lagoon Park day and have everyone who wants to head on up to the Lagoon Amusement Park.
                    Then of course the mini-honeymoon in Vegas
                    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

That sounds nice, Smiley.

I was talking about this with one friend, and he said, "Why don't you guys just do a destination wedding?" *sigh* I WANT my family to be there. I recognize the aggravation that I will go through, but I really want my family and friends to witness the actual wedding ceremony. It's their celebration too. Besides, my mother won't get on a plane and is deathly...deathly afraid of water. Not to mention the cost (which would mean that none of my current friends could go). AND the fact that you're basically taking your parents on your honeymoon. No thank you.

Comment

If ever I get married, I'm not changing my name. Not a different person just from acquiring a husband, and hate the BS of going through a name change. Checks, driver's license, EVERYTHING ON EARTH EVER!

He wants us to have the same name, he can change it.

Weddings are still marketed as the biggest/happiest day in a woman's life. If that's the truth, she might as well kill herself after the I Do's. If a wedding is the most memorable point in someone's life, they haven't lived much of a life.
                        I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

Ladeeda,
                          Don't worry about name stuff. When Mrs. Salesmonkey and I decided to join our lives, we had a name discussion. And after recognizing that changing her name would mean paperwork with:
                          2 states
                          2 governmental bureaus
                          2 insurance companies
                          4 banks
                          2 professional organizations
                          4 workplaces
                          that it just wasn't worth it. Each of those situations was a chance for error. Some of those errors might cause problems for her work. For social situations, she uses the same last name I do. For professional and legal stuff, she uses her own.

For the wedding being the happiest day... I did rather enjoy it. I think it's a mindset problem. A person who thinks that "everything has to be perfect" would be disappointed if the President showed up to give them the Medal of Congress with black shoes and a brown belt. We thought that we'd just be having a big old party for all our friends and guess what- we loved that big old party!

Comment

Originally posted by Ladeeda View Post

He wants us to have the same name, he can change it.
                            I honestly don't think I could marry a woman who wouldn't take my name.

Originally posted by Salesmonkey View Post
                            Ladeeda,
                            <snip>
                            My mother married twice and changed her name twice. She never had any real trouble with doing either name change.

My brother and I changed our last names to our father's. Again, no real hassle. I think it was a little under a hundred dollars to do so (of course, it was b/c we had to petition the court, not for marriage reasons).

Comment

I didn't change my last name when my husband and I got married. I have a cool last name -- everyone who ever hears it always comments on it and all my friends think it fits me perfectly -- so why should I change it? I did consider hyphenating my last name with his, and although that wouldn't make it terribly long (9 letters total, not too bad) there would be 4 "e"s in there. As my husband said, that's a lot of "e"s. He didn't care that I didn't take his name. In fact I think he might have been a little weirded out if I did.

Comment

Powerboy, I second your awesome wedding.

Comment

Working...
                                X