No announcement yet.

senseless death and assholes who hit and run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is interested the video where my daughter got interviewed is online....this is the long piece too. I think she did good
    http://www.kgw.com/home/hitandrunlea...101627223.html
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      Murder II is pretty unlikely I'd imagine.
      Very unlikely, as Murder charges require intent.

Odds are Negligent Homicide with a deadly weapon (yes, the car counts as a weapon in this case) or Manslaughter if they do not have the former.

Comment

Wow I'm amazed this thread isn't closed yet...but there is an update!!
        The bitch is going down....

http://www.oregonlive.com/north-of-2..._ringwald.html

Not for murder or homicide but for felony hit and run.

ETA: My daughter's interview from the original news casts is still available...http://www.kgw.com/home/hitandrunlea...101627223.html

She was probably the last person to speak to him, he was on his way to our house, and it really affected her and her friends hard. I can only hope this woman gets her ass beat in jail for me.
        Last edited by telecom_goddess; 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope they catch that asshole for what he did to your daughter's friend. The gall of some people to just run an innocent human being over and leave them to die like they're roadkill!
          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by tropicsgoddess View Post
            I'm sorry for your loss. I hope they catch that asshole for what he did to your daughter's friend. The gall of some people to just run an innocent human being over and leave them to die like they're roadkill!
            Thanks...the thing is it was probably an accident and all would have been much better if she had just stayed on the scene. The fact that she ran is what has made us angry at her and what will ultimately fuck up her life. The one action changed everything.

Comment

She probably realized she would need to get body work done on her car, and I'm pretty sure after a hit and run all the body shops have an idea what to look for an would have easily sold her out, especially if a reward was involved.

If you screw up, man up stay at the scene and be like OMG, I didn't see this idiot on the side of the road. but if it was broad daylight, maybe she should have been paying more attention. This is why I had talking on my phone and driving, I am an aggressive driver who knows what I am doing, Even just listening on the phone screws my reaction times and cuts my focus. I can't even bother to have a conversation with a passenger if I'm doing serious driving because it takes a lot of concentration to spot cops, watch speed. Figure out if the lights gonna change and I need to slow down speed up. weave in an out of traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                This is why I had talking on my phone and driving, I am an aggressive driver who knows what I am doing, Even just listening on the phone screws my reaction times and cuts my focus. I can't even bother to have a conversation with a passenger if I'm doing serious driving because it takes a lot of concentration to spot cops, watch speed. Figure out if the lights gonna change and I need to slow down speed up. weave in an out of traffic.
                I would maintain here that if you actually knew what you're doing, you wouldn't have a lot of need to watch out for cops. I agree that nobody needs to be running their gob on the phone while driving, but seriously? Weaving in and out of traffic? Aggressive driving? Dude, that's not how people drive when they "know what they're doing."

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                Hate to say it but if the kid had lived-he'd probably be on the receiving end of a ticket, and possibly being sued for any damage to the car-if he was hit from behind it means he wasn't walking against traffic-the laws that all states have stating pedestrians walk in the roadway against traffic are for this very reason.
                Pretty sure pedestrians have the right of way no matter where they're walking. Sometimes it's not possible to walk against traffiic because sometimes there no place to walk on the proper side.

If it was dark and the kid was wearing no light-colored or reflective clothing-they very well may have thought they hit a deer-or some other animal, after all pedestrians are not supposed to be walking with their back to traffic, meaning you hit something on the side of the road you assume it's not a person as a person is not supposed to be there-they should by law be on the other side of the road.
                Okay, first of all, I personally would not hit a squirrel without stopping to make sure it wasn't lying on the side of the road suffering. And it wasn't dark. Even if it was, you have headlights. You see what's coming up. The kid flew up onto her fucking car, are you seriously suggesting she may have thought it was okay to proceed on and not stop? You're saying it's arguable that she may have not have realized she hit something large? Because I would argue that usually you're aware when you hit a bird.

What do you do when you see something in the road that might wander into your path? I personally slow down and if I can, swing away from them. I dont' blast on through with no regard for them, I don't care where they're walking. I don't think to myself, "Oh, well, that stupid teenager is walking on the wrong side of the road, if I accidentally kill him, it won't be my fault." I dont' go "Oh, well, it's illegal that there might be a hazard on my side of the road, therefore it's impossible that I would have a need to watch out."

So, would it have helped if he was too young to know what the traffic laws for pedestrians were? How young would that need to be?

How about a fireman collecting money in a boot (a practice I despise) at the red light? Or a cop directing traffic? Or a crossing guard standing on the side of the road or a dude changing a tire? The Liberty Tax guy dancing in a costume? Are they exempt from not being run over because they're in the wrong damn place?

I'm not heartless-but the driver wasn't the only one that did something wrong-more wrong does not absolve the deceased's -sorry no other way to put it-stupidity.
                A horrible accident occurred that cost a young man his life. He was in a dangerous place, but it's on the driver to not run over people walking regardless of where they're walking. See the previous paragraph regarding the fireman. The real crime is the fact that she left a young man to die. He had absolutely nothing to do with her complete bankruptcy of character and ethics. The fact that she's a despicable excuse for a human being had nothing to do with him. Putting any of the burden of this on him is disgusting.
                Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-17-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  I would maintain here that if you actually knew what you're doing, you wouldn't have a lot of need to watch out for cops.
                  I keep an eye out for cops, myself, and the only reason any of them would ever care about me is that I have a tendancy to drive a bit faster than the posted limit.

Because I would argue that usually you're aware when you hit a bird.
                  You would be aware. I would be aware. I suspect that as many people than not wouldn't have a fucking clue. My ex could run over said squirrel and never notice.

The fact that she's a despicable excuse for a human being had nothing to do with him. Putting any of the burden of this on him is disgusting.
                  While I agree with the rest, and it was a terrible thing to happen, you don't know this.

All you know is that she was criminally negligent and that she fled. Nobody knows why she fled. Sure, it's possible that she left because she was hoping she'd get away and not have to deal with it. It's more likely that she panicked. People flee scenes all the time, and many times with absolutely no provocation. It's an instinctual response that some just don't have the mental capacity to resist.

The woman supposedly turned herself in the same day rather than requiring any sort of manhunt to track her down (which would have been short, with license plate information in hand) and she pled guilty to what appear to be straight charges without any sort of deal on the table (felony hit and run and criminally negligent homicide).

While I understand the visceral desire to crucify her character for what she did, those who do so do their own characters a disservice.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I would maintain here that if you actually knew what you're doing, you wouldn't have a lot of need to watch out for cops.
                    Depends on what area you're driving through. In my borough, the cops have nothing better to do than set up speed traps. They *will* pull you over for being as little as 2mph over the speed limit.

Pretty sure pedestrians have the right of way no matter where they're walking. Sometimes it's not possible to walk against traffiic because sometimes there no place to walk on the proper side.
                    Some places, like most roads in my borough, do not have sidewalks. In many cases, the only sidewalks exist because children use them to walk to school. Otherwise, they have to walk in the street, and are at the mercy of traffic.

How about a fireman collecting money in a boot (a practice I despise) at the red light?
                    I too despise that practice, especially because of the resulting traffic slowdowns and backups. Even so, we shouldn't be running over firemen...even if they shouldn't be in the damn road in the first place

A horrible accident occurred that cost a young man his life. He was in a dangerous place, but it's on the driver to not run over people walking regardless of where they're walking.
                    Exactly. It's not the pedestrian's fault--it's up to the driver. Being a safe driver means being aware of your surroundings. Part of that, is anticipating that 99.9% of the other drivers, pedestrians, and others, are going to do something stupid, and it's up to you to avoid them. That's why I always try to give pedestrians plenty of room.

Case in point, I live around the corner from an elementary school. My street has a posted 25mph speed limit, and is one-way. The usual morning routine which parents usually follow, is to drop their kids off at the corner...and then haul ass out of there. We've actually clocked people going well over the speed limit. Sorry, but there's NO need to be doing 60mph in a residential area. I can't count the number of times I've been backing out of my driveway (and yes, I *do* look before pulling out)...only to see some idiot slam on the brakes to avoid hitting me, as I sit in the middle of the street. These idiots, will then blast their horns and/or flip me off because *they* were in the wrong. What part of "hidden driveway" and/or "school zone" do you not under-fucking-stand? Is the additional second or two that you'll "save" really be worth it when I sue your ass when you hit me?

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

The woman supposedly turned herself in the same day rather than requiring any sort of manhunt to track her down (which would have been short, with license plate information in hand) and she pled guilty to what appear to be straight charges without any sort of deal on the table (felony hit and run and criminally negligent homicide).

While I understand the visceral desire to crucify her character for what she did, those who do so do their own characters a disservice.

^-.-^
                      Actually I believe she made a deal to take any kind of homicide charges off and just have it be felony hit and run.

And I don't mean offense to you in any way but....

why can't I crucify her character on here? It's the only place where I am saying anything. I'm not tracking her down or calling the media or doing any more damage to her than she's done to herself. I"m sitting back and letting the justice system do it's thing.

But I'm pissed this happened. Yeah he wasn't walking against traffic but the road he was on had no room whatsoever and it's a dangerous place to walk in the first place. But without a car and the way the roads are setup here you have no choice. He was not to blame in this and like Kink said to place blame on him in any way is disgusting. And she LEFT the scene. I'm glad she turned herself in later but she LEFT THE SCENE and left him there to die. That is wrong and that is what she's being sentenced for. This could have easily happened to MY kids. And if I want to cut up her character on here cause it makes me feel better I don't see why I can't. And I don't see where it lowers me in any way. It's not affecting her....she will get sentenced to whatever she gets sentenced to either way.

So if I want to call her a scum sucking dumbass crazy ass bitch I will. I hope she gets put away for a long time.

Comment

And you know what, TG? I guaren damn fucking tee you that if this was someone on here's little brother, son, friend, boyfriend, or whatever that got left for dead on the side of the road like he was a stray dog or a squirrel or something, they'd be calling her a scum sucking dumbass crazy ass bitch and crucifying her character, too.

And they'd be not only in their rights to do so, but they'd be CORRECT IN THEIR ASSESSMENT.

I'm sorry, I don't give a rat's mangy ass what her excuse was. Panicked, drunk, high, texting, stupid, I dont' give a damn. Accidents happen. She stopped being some poor git that had caused an accident and started being a scum of the fucking earth criminal when she left a kid critically injured in a ditch and left him to die there as she hauled ass.

Comment

Depends on what area you're driving through. In my borough, the cops have nothing better to do than set up speed traps. They *will* pull you over for being as little as 2mph over the speed limit.
                          It would probably, then, be a good idea to keep below the limit whether you see any cops around or not There's always the chance of missing one who doesn't miss you.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                            It would probably, then, be a good idea to keep below the limit whether you see any cops around or not There's always the chance of missing one who doesn't miss you.
                            Well that's just common sense

Thanks for your input Kink I agree with you 100 percent.

This woman's sentencing is in about a month. I'm real tempted to go so I can see what she gets sentenced to.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                              But my guess is, for a hit and run that involves someone dying, it will be AT LEAST gross negligence. Manslaughter charges are always a possibility. Murder II is pretty unlikely I'd imagine.
                              Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                              The bitch is going down....

Not for murder or homicide but for felony hit and run.
                              Theoretically (in some jurisdictions) they could go for Murder 1. Leaving the scene of an accident is a felony/indictable offense (closest Canadian equivalent to a felony). In some jurisdictions, Murder 1 includes "causing death while in the commission of a felony/indictable offense".

You're saying it's arguable that she may have not have realized she hit something large? Because I would argue that usually you're aware when you hit a bird.
                              Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              You would be aware. I would be aware. I suspect that as many people than not wouldn't have a fucking clue. My ex could run over said squirrel and never notice.
                              I've hit birds and not realized it - found the carcasses of small birds stuck in the grille of the Peterbilt of Natural Selection. The impact point was well below my line of sight, and the roar of a large diesel can cover a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                                I've hit birds and not realized it - found the carcasses of small birds stuck in the grille of the Peterbilt of Natural Selection. The impact point was well below my line of sight, and the roar of a large diesel can cover a lot.
                                That could be entirely true. But if you have a smaller non diesel truck and hit a human there's no way you could not know that.

Comment

Working...
                                X