Why is it that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that...

...when I was single a woman wouldn't give me the time of day, and now that I have a girlfriend I have to call in close-air support?

I exaggerate, obviously, for it's actually only one woman in question that prompts this. Bit of background before I start, though.

When I signed up for ROTC, I became friends with one girl, H. We were both kind of the underdogs, pretty out of shape and not as "in-it" as most of the others. In our second semester, she got demoted to the class below because of her graduation set-up or whatever. Thus, I went to Field Training a whole year before her. So I became a cadet-officer while she went through her training. Even though we were separated by class (and later, rank) we were still really good friends. She even joined an Air Force-related organization I was in. And now she's come back from training as an officer.

Now here's the thing. We've always been really good friends, as I said, and last year she mentioned dating someone in the cadet corps that wasn't keen on her telling who it is. So I regularly tease her about it, partly just to mess with her, but also b/c I'm curious. Anyway, she was giving me a ride home on Thursday (my car Soyozake got pranged) and I was teasing her again. Then, teasing back, she stated, "C'mon, you know you're my boyfriend."

That got us onto a whole tangent of how most people in the corps probably think there is something between us due to our closeness and how much time we spend together. Then we joked about starting a rumor that we were dating just to see how many people would believe it. But as we went on talking, it felt like she was trying to hint at something. Now, she knows I have a girlfriend, and I vaguely know she has a boyfriend, so I'm not really sure what to make of it. I love my girlfriend and I'd never cheat on her, but this whole situation's got me confused.

Am I just overreacting, or is there something to it? I also started having this sneaking suspicion that perhaps she doesn't have a boyfriend, and she's saying that for my sake (though that idea makes no sense to me).

PS: Apologies that this is so long. I'm not very good at relationships, though.

PPS: As we were driving, love songs kept playing on the radio and I was starting to get a bit freaked.

Two things spring to mind.

First is the aura of confidence a bloke in a relationship usually gives off.

Secondly, if you're good enough for one woman, there's no reason you shouldn't have appeal to others. Why would a single woman want a bloke nobody else wants?

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

To some extent, I have the same problem, only it involves women who are already in relationships. I have lost track of the number of times I have had a woman approach me, befriend me, get flirty with me (thus relieving me of the anxiety of having to approach her), and get my hopes up only to find out that's she's already in a committed relationship. It's even "better" when her SO comes around and she wants to introduce me to him, and I get to stand there like, "Hey man, I'm the guy your girl runs to when you're not around! Great to meet ya!"

Comment

1. People want what they can't have. It presents them with a challenge.

2. If you are already dating a woman, it proves that other women can assume your are normal/sane enough to be datable.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Consider yourself certified pre-owned
          All units: IRENE
          HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
            Consider yourself certified pre-owned
            Heh - I'd use the term 'bedded in'. May be a colloquialism

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Lol. I notice that a lot; since I've been in a relationship, I've gotten a hell of a lot more male attention than I ever got when single. XD
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I bet there are a lot of people who wear wedding rings, that aren't married, just for the attention it brings.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

So...is it consensus that I'm not overreacting and that she is coming on to me, or am I misinterpreting your statements? O_o

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                    I bet there are a lot of people who wear wedding rings, that aren't married, just for the attention it brings.
                    I know people who do that. Apparently it works.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Raps and Greenday hit the nails on the head. Disturbingly, it seems a lot like job hunting. Employers want you if you're already working, but are extra-cautious if you're not.

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                      ...and now that I have a girlfriend I have to call in close-air support?
                      For some reason that image amuses me greatly.

"Mayday mayday! I've got Charlene all over this sector, taking multiple hits-on!"

*Coughs* nevermind...
                      Customer: I need an Apache.
                      Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Working...
                      X